Any shops with marcasite or vintage or unique silver jewelry here?

Cinderellie

Hello. I am a collector of marcasite or vintage jewelry like Judith Jack, or unique silver pieces.

Are there any stores in Grand Cayman who offer those? (Pleeeease.... not another Diamonds International store!!!!)

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Hmmmmm...I guess cb has never been to St. Bart's or St. Croix and probably others that I am not aware of. GC may have the most banks of any island and I am sure there is a goodly share of wealthy people living there, but a lot of the $$$ in those banks belongs to people who have never set foot on GC (kind of like Swiss banks!). Just FYI :)

Hmmmmm...I guess cb has never been to St. Bart's or St. Croix and probably others that I am not aware of. GC may have the most banks of any island and I am sure there is a goodly share of wealthy people living there, but a lot of the $$$ in those banks belongs to people who have never set foot on GC (kind of like Swiss banks!). Just FYI :)

CB posts to up CB's post count. Take a look at the number. I see CB's posts in many threads and usually facts don't matter to CB.

actually, while you may not agree with much that is on WIKI this one does have a reputable reference citation .... :

"With an average income of around KYD$47,000, Caymanians have the highest standard of living in the Caribbean. According to the CIA World Factbook, the Cayman Islands GDP per capita is the 14th highest in the world "

I don't think any other Carib' or Central American 'country' comes close. BTW since St Croix is part of the US Virgin Islands, themselves a US territory, the island would not be separately reported. BUT I would also note that poverty on St Croix is pervasive and in recent times cruise stops have been stopped because of "unrest". I recall when USCG was called to "land" armed teams to help restore order ..... USVI has serious crime problems due to poverty. Travel outside of major tourist areas is not recommended. On Cayman ...... you can go anywhere.

Edited by Capt_BJ

actually, while you may not agree with much that is WIKI this one does have a reputable reference citation .... :

With an average income of around KYD$47,000, Caymanians have the highest standard of living in the Caribbean. According to the CIA World Factbook, the Cayman Islands GDP per capita is the 14th highest in the world

What I would question is the answer about cheaper or not. When you go to those kind of shops you never know what you are going to find or at what price. They exist in all kinds of locations, not income dependent. The person said they were looking for unique pieces and that they were a collector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Capt. is correct. Grand Cayman has a negative unemployment rate, they have to import workers (skilled and unskilled) from around the world. Most people in GC pay less than 25% of their gross income for housing, the government subsidizes those who have low incomes. It is a developed nation and enjoys a high standard of living. It is not a place I would go expecting to find deals on much of anything. Maybe a different island on your trip might offer a better choice for shopping?

Capt. is correct. Grand Cayman has a negative unemployment rate, they have to import workers (skilled and unskilled) from around the world. Most people in GC pay less than 25% of their gross income for housing, the government subsidizes those who have low incomes. It is a developed nation and enjoys a high standard of living. It is not a place I would go expecting to find deals on much of anything. Maybe a different island on your trip might offer a better choice for shopping?

They didn't say they were looking for deals. They said they were looking for unique pieces and that they were a collector.

Edited by Charles4515

My comments were primarily directed at:

you can find a deal: on a ROLEX IF you know your prices and are a skilled negotiator .... or maybe some jewelry made from Black Coral ..... VERY RARE and many would not buy it at all because of this, but you MIGHT still find it for sale in a shop .... or an original Guy Harvey as he has a shop and rest' in downtown Georgetown

Edited by Capt_BJ

Hello. I am a collector of marcasite or vintage jewelry like Judith Jack, or unique silver pieces.

Are there any stores in Grand Cayman who offer those? (Pleeeease.... not another Diamonds International store!!!!)

Thanks!

I found this on google. It might be what you want. I have not been inside.

http://artifacts.com.ky/