Early VS Late Booking with Princess

kayyfire

Hello all! I am going on a cruise this weekend and the price has dropped so much for my sailing! And it has been for new bookings only so no possibility of a price drop for us. I am curious how many of you watch and plan on taking a cruise and wait till last min to actually book it? Like buy plane tickets and book hotels but actually wait to purchase the cruise with a cheaper price. Does anyone do this? I do see the slight risk the cruise would sell out, but I do check Princess often and would be informed. I am still excited to cruise and happy with the price we paid but would have been nice to save $1,000. Thank You!!

If it's a cruise I really really want and I know it might sell out if I wait, I book it and watch constantly for price drops. Almost always get some. I have never waited until the last minute. But I do know many do, and it often works out for them. I make sure the price I pay for the original booking is one I can live with if there are no price drops. I also make sure I can cancel if needed.

If you have the flexibility and don't care what category of cabin you get it might well work out for you.

On the other hand, I booked my upcoming June cruise the morning of the first day it was available - I think it was the middle of March 2015 - and it has never gone down in price. They have had a number of "sales" but they would all have cost more than I paid. In addition, the cruise has now been sold out for months so waiting wouldn't have worked.

I'm going to retire soon and we will be open to grabbing some last minute cruises from time to time but that won't be the only way we go.

I almost always book well in advance and almost always, pay less than even last minute sale prices.

For example, I booked the 19-day Island cruise in November last year. Since I booked it, the price doubled. It went on "sale" and my cabin category was only 50% more than what I booked. As of a few minutes ago, a comparable cabin is "only" 35% more than what I'll be paying.

My point is that waiting until the last minute is always a gamble and your "sale price" could actually be substantially more than if you'd booked well in advance. You might be proud of your great bargain while those who booked early are thinking, "Really?"

Edited by Pam in CA

I bought about half Of the 30 cruises I've taken at the last minute, but I never buy air or hotels in advance.You just have to price everything to see if it makes sense. Remember that the best accommodations usually sell out first so if you're fussy about category and location of your cabin last minute is not the way to go.

I've bought several last minute cruises to Alaska and saved tons...but that's not a big deal since we live in Seattle. However, I did get brave and bought my last two Caribbean cruises last minute (one 10-day, and one 11-day cruise) and saved tons on those as well. And I watch prices like a hawk--they were cruises I had been wanting to book for quite some time, so I was aware of their normal prices. It was a gamble for sure, since I did purchase my airfare well in advance and made hotel reservations in advance. However, we were prepared to have an equally enjoyable land vacation if pricing and balcony room inventory didn't work out (I'm kind of picky about the location of my room). :) I would never do this with a Med cruise or some other "big deal" cruise, but it has worked out so far. And because DH and I are still ok with a land vacation if things don't turn out, I may still book last minute in the future--at least for Caribbean and Pacific Coastal cruises. It's all about your risk comfort level (and back up plans).

Edited by MustBCruzn

I've booked early for a 2017 Alaska trip, given I'm in FL and not retired, so don't have that wonderful flexibility CA residents and retirees enjoy. :)

I don't have a ton of experience booking in Alaska, but prices seemed fairly high - definitely not a standout deal by any stretch and more than what this year's 2016 cruises are selling for. I won't be that disappointed if there's no price drop since I chose the cabin I wanted, but was a bit bummed that none of the May + 2017 trips offered incentives. Hoping those might arise as we get closer and maybe Princess will be willing to add to previous bookings? Something like the OBC or free grats seen on 2016 sailings would be great.

(I'll transfer to TA, so will get something, but Princess was offering really nice deals on 2016 bookings.)

Hello all! I am going on a cruise this weekend and the price has dropped so much for my sailing! And it has been for new bookings only so no possibility of a price drop for us. I am curious how many of you watch and plan on taking a cruise and wait till last min to actually book it? Like buy plane tickets and book hotels but actually wait to purchase the cruise with a cheaper price. Does anyone do this? I do see the slight risk the cruise would sell out, but I do check Princess often and would be informed. I am still excited to cruise and happy with the price we paid but would have been nice to save $1,000. Thank You!!

Hello, we are on your cruise. We have cruised over 10 times and have never waited to the last minute. However, we were unable this time to commit until 3 weeks ago. We booked during their Drop and Go sale and have never cruised for cheaper and have enough onboard credit to cover all our purchases! We ended up booking 2 guarantee balconies and were given obstructed views. Then this Saturday the price fell again and to our good fortune, we were moved to two BB connecting cabins! Flight prices were normal but the overnight hotel in Ft Lauderdale is very expensive booked last minute. I feel for you - it does tick me off if I see the price fall after we have made final payment. Would Princess upgrade your cabin to compensate for the difference?

I like to book early but during a good sale with perks and using a FCC. The last minute flash sales are awesome, but as a teacher with limited flexibility, and as a resident of the "expensive-to-fly-anywhere" state of Alaska, it pays to book early. The only exception to that is Alaska cruises. That doesn't stop me from torturing myself by looking up amazing last minute deals, though! Some day...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've got our eye on a cruise in January for our honeymoon and almost know the exact one we are going to take. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet as I would like to see what happens.

Between sales and the rising/falling Canadian dollars, I just don't have the certainty to book it yet.