Going down hill in quality

coastcashier

As I understand the situation about two years ago Princess announced that there would only be a Bridge Director on 'Round the World' cruises. I should imagine that a 45 day cruise should qualify.

As an Elite cruiser, I for one would gladly give up some of my perks for a Bridge Director on any cruise with at least five sea days.

john

The bridge directors are contractors hired through an agency. They receive passage in a cabin (oceanview or inside) as their compensation. I don't believe they receive a stipend but I could be wrong. They are responsible for providing bridge lectures and teaching bridge in the morning on sea days and setting up and managing duplicate bridge games in the afternoon. They are also responsible for mingling/socializing with guests during the evening. I know they can buy drinks for guests so I'm going to assume they have an entertainment OBC on their folio or perhaps their folio is also included as compensation. They are usually couples who do this together.

My brother-in-law cruised to play bridge and several of the bridge directors were good friends.

I never knew bridge was that addictive.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bridge is both addictive, and beneficial. With older persons, it not only keeps our minds active, it enables us to get out and meet people. In my small city I could play ACBL Bridge at least five days a week. When I retired, some years ago, I used to play at least 30 hours a week.

john

Some years ago a, director's, a husband and wife teem arrived, only to find that they had no cabin, so, they were installed in in the officer's quarters, close to the ship's bridge.

The first evening they made merry at one of the bars, and stumbled up to their room, only to be met by a junior officer who informed them that guests were not allowed in that area.

'Thash arright', came the slurred response 'Weeer the Bridge Directors'.

Your the WHAT?' came the horrified Officer's reply.

This was told to me as a true story.

john

My husband's greatest complaint with Princess is the change to no bridge directors. He still manages to find some people to play with at the social bridge hours but he does bring new cards with him since the Princess equipment is generally bad.

I am new to cruising, and I do not know about the old days, but having talked to my father it seems the cost of cruising has actually held pretty steady for the last 20 years. So if prices have remained steady, and costs for the cruise lines have gone up, services by necessity would probably have to be lowered in some areas.

I find that cruising is actually a pretty amazing value for what you get. The OP should look at one of the luxury lines. I am sure that they would find unlimited cards on Crystal etc. The cost would reflect this increased service.

For myself, I can say, the two cruises we have gone on were great. (Princess and Celebrity) The price per day seemed more than reasonable, and I knew exactly what I would get thanks to some research on the internet.

Asking for yesteryear services means that you should expect to pay yesteryear prices. There are definitely cruise lines that can deliver that service, but for myself, I loved our cruises on Princess, and felt that the value was excellent for what we paid. I have booked two more for this year.

I am new to cruising, and I do not know about the old days, but having talked to my father it seems the cost of cruising has actually held pretty steady for the last 20 years. So if prices have remained steady, and costs for the cruise lines have gone up, services by necessity would probably have to be lowered in some areas.

I find that cruising is actually a pretty amazing value for what you get. The OP should look at one of the luxury lines. I am sure that they would find unlimited cards on Crystal etc. The cost would reflect this increased service.

For myself, I can say, the two cruises we have gone on were great. (Princess and Celebrity) The price per day seemed more than reasonable, and I knew exactly what I would get thanks to some research on the internet.

Asking for yesteryear services means that you should expect to pay yesteryear prices. There are definitely cruise lines that can deliver that service, but for myself, I loved our cruises on Princess, and felt that the value was excellent for what we paid. I have booked two more for this year.

I paid more for my first cruise 30 years ago than I pay now so when considering inflation it's not a surprise to me that things are different now but a cruise is still a good value.

Here's a link to a Princess brochure from 1977/1978 and today's prices are less expensive.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=245585&d=1348005243

Edited by Astro Flyer

I paid more for my first cruise 30 years ago than I pay now so when considering inflation it's not a surprise to me that things are different now but a cruise is still a good value.

Here's a link to a Princess brochure from 1977/1978 and today's prices are less expensive.

Plus, do a search of what those cabin categories and the cabins themselves looked like. Now, lets all complain about the shower, the beds, the size of the cabin on today's ships..........NOT. :D

Thank You Astro Flyer. That is exactly what my dad said. Prices have not gone up, and yet some people expect to get so much. Cruises, at least on Celebrity and Princess are priced for a mass market. I believe that you get what pay for, and at least in my limited experience cruising today is very much more affordable than it was 30 years ago. To expect a luxury experience at the prices people are paying today, is frankly ludicrous. Now if I had booked a full suite, or cruised on one of the luxury lines my expectations would be different.

I believe the OP and unfortunately a small minority of cruisers have lost sight of the reality of what they can expect for the price they are paying.

Plus, do a search of what those cabin categories and the cabins themselves looked like. Now, lets all complain about the shower, the beds, the size of the cabin on today's ships..........NOT. :D

Back then they built ships & then figured out where to squeeze in cabins. ;)

A friend had a cabin for 3 people that required the passenger on the top bunk bed (perpendicular over the foot of the full size lower bed) to step onto the lower full size bed to access the bunk bed.

Back then they built ships & then figured out where to squeeze in cabins. ;)

"Back then" the ships were originally built and used for some other purpose, mostly cargo ships, and then eventually converted to passenger cruise ships. You are so correct about figuring out where and how to squeeze in cabins (and things like shared bathrooms, etc.). :eek:

A friend had a cabin for 3 people that required the passenger on the top bunk bed (perpendicular over the foot of the full size lower bed) to step onto the lower full size bed to access the bunk bed.

And now some people complain because the sofa bed or drop down bed blocks the access to the balcony. :rolleyes:

Edited by ar1950

Thank You Astro Flyer. That is exactly what my dad said. Prices have not gone up, and yet some people expect to get so much. Cruises, at least on Celebrity and Princess are priced for a mass market. I believe that you get what pay for, and at least in my limited experience cruising today is very much more affordable than it was 30 years ago. To expect a luxury experience at the prices people are paying today, is frankly ludicrous. Now if I had booked a full suite, or cruised on one of the luxury lines my expectations would be different.

I believe the OP and unfortunately a small minority of cruisers have lost sight of the reality of what they can expect for the price they are paying.

I agree...we get what we pay for & I prefer many more days sailing on a cruise line like Princess than fewer days on a luxury cruise line. :D

"Back then" the ships were originally built and used for some other purpose, mostly cargo ships, and then eventually converted to passenger cruise ships. You are so correct about figuring out where and how to squeeze in cabins (and things like shared bathrooms, etc.). :eek:

And now some people complain because the sofa bed or drop down bed blocks the access to the balcony. :rolleyes:

My first 'cruise' ships were built as ocean liners (1957 & 1968) which were modern in comparison to my Navy ship built in 1945 with 3 high bunks & 30 minute lines for mess hall food served on metal trays. :p

My first 'cruise' ships were built as ocean liners (1957 & 1968) which were modern in comparison to my Navy ship built in 1945 with 3 high bunks & 30 minute lines for mess hall food served on metal trays. :p

Probably why my brother-in-law would never go on a cruise. He steadfastly maintained he would never again go on a ship after experiencing an Atlantic crossing in an extreme storm (on a comparatively small battleship, btw). After his passing my sister-in-law went on a few cruises and loved them. She always lamented that the BIL didn't realize what he was missing on a cruise ship vs. the Navy ships. Some (bad) memories are forever I guess.

Hi All

So OP lost 2kg, and this is a complaint, I know folks that would pay to lose 2kg,

yours Shogun

Our last cruise was 17 days and I was thrilled to gain a total of ZERO pounds! Losing 4.4 pounds (2kg) would be fantastic. ;)

Yeah, but it's only 0.3142857 stone... that's not much when you look at it that way...;)

41adea8623ab336c4696889be5c8c3ec.jpgRoyal Princess I -- This is what cabins looked like "back then" on a ship purpose-built as a cruise ship. Beds were narrow and didn't move, bathroom tiny, little storage. No TV or other amenities. For those who long for the "good old days," you might want to re-think that.

41adea8623ab336c4696889be5c8c3ec.jpgRoyal Princess I -- This is what cabins looked like "back then" on a ship purpose-built as a cruise ship. Beds were narrow and didn't move, bathroom tiny, little storage. No TV or other amenities. For those who long for the "good old days," you might want to re-think that.

Pam, that is so funny. I swear, minus the window, this is what my cabin looked like on the Sky Princess way back in the good old days.

That is an amazing picture. Visual proof that things are better today, and at a price that is certainly comparatively cheaper than it was back then.

Thank you Pam.

I cannot find my photos from old passenger ship cabins but they were much worse than in Pam's photo from the relatively modern original Royal Princess built in 1984. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer