Jewel Of the Seas Feb 28/16 review

Jewel of the seas Feb 28/16

Quick background, DW and I are recent empty nesters and have re-discovered cruising after going on the Quantum last year.

Wanted to try a smaller ship for comparison and wanted to leave out of someplace warmer than the North Atlantic.

Jewel/Adventure were similar itineraries but Radiance class with the Jewel seemed to be a better fit.

Couple of days San Juan pre cruise were able to do the Bacardi tour-which I would say is a must do if you have any interest in rum or rum history and if you don’t the drinking is still a good time!

Day 1 Left San Juan Airport hotel and during our usual 10-15 minute drive in encountered crazy traffic with every VW known to man on the road. Kind of cool to see the Westfalias and all kinds of old Beetles. Taxi driver had no idea what kind of VW fest was going on. Arrived at the terminal 11:00ish to find the lines moderately long. Reading enough cruise critic I was fairly certain we would be on well before noon.

Travelling with our non-cruising friends we went through the regular line and were on the ship in 15-20 minutes. The only hiccup being the last checkpoint getting on to the ship had one person already working on island time so it created a sizable bottleneck right at the gangway to get on.

1st stop was the Windjammer to see what kind of chaos would be looming. Turns out there was none. Very well organized and not super busy, this would be the theme throughout the week.

Luggage was in by 1:30 ish I think. Next stop was Sky bar for rollcall drinks, unfortunately didn’t meet any of the people just hanging around.

Had MTD and had booked the 1st 2 nights prior to boarding, but no more than that because I was unsure I would enjoy the MDR after the mixed reviews over the last few months.

Usually a bit of a foodie but full disclosure, had a freak skull injury 2 months ago that left me unable to taste or smell almost anything. So if you are looking for food reviews I can tell you it was good based on my tablemate’s assessment and me asking what stuff tasted like.

The service and food in the MDR was by all accounts outstanding. Our non-cruisers kept commenting on how terrific everything was and the servers (Roderick and Richard) were always there to keep glasses topped and with recommendations that 1 person followed every night because the 1st night was a homerun(Mojo) menu.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1EbNGbNm5cuSg

IMG_1178.jpg.a031a6a0765c7d946566f8a45e4076bd.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg.73dbcab939e031f44bda42af6ca07c4f.jpg

Day 2 St Thomas-having been here last year and not finding it as one our favourite islands we opted to grab an island tour from one of the locals downtown after wandering to Bones and Magic Ice we went with ‘Chicago’ who was from Chi-town and had been with Chicago Fire he had nicknamed himself ‘the real deal’ and was or had been an island cop. Also had run and was running for Senate/Congress? Interesting backstory. It was a great tour of the island with a couple of scenic stops ending at the tram which he was able to drive to the top, took pics and rode down.

Dinner was first formal night (Saffron) and this was the first time I decided to not actually bring a jacket/suit. Didn’t feel out of place.

Day 3 St Maarten-last minute changeup from St Kitts which initially had left me quite disappointed, our replacement snorkel tour with “Captain Bob” was outstanding. Our actual captain Jonathan made sure in our stops we saw sea turtles, various assorted fish we had a dolphin pod playing in our wake, great lunch, swimming and Maho Beach. I have always wanted to be on Maho beach and with the boat tour we were 100-150 yards off shore and watched one of the bigger planes thinking maybe 737? Taking off. When the jet wash pushed the wave of sand and water out to our location it was pretty special. This was my wife’s favourite day because of the snorkel and the tasty Mahi Mahi on the beach.

733984593_2016-03-0112_14_04.jpg.052b5eaffa4488c52ce3b43e45373c8e.jpg

Dinner at the WJ we weren’t feeling the menu (Basil)and as with every trip to WJ on this cruise, no lines and nothing but great selection and plentiful seating.

The excellent service continued in the Schooner Bar when I asked the server Sri Devi about the drink card. She said the 10 drink card would be available on day 4 even though she had them on her she wasn’t allowed to sell it to me until the next day. That night the cruise compass also noted the drink card available the following day. Purchased it and used it on Premium rum mostly, did I mention I can’t really taste it? It didn’t matter.

Day 4 Sea Day which meant a chance to explore the Jewel a little bit more which actually meant sitting at the Schooner Bar after the meet and mingle. If any of you were there my DW won the highlighter that can hi light in more than 16 languages!

Mystery dinner at Portofino’s and as expected was cheesy but great fun, Pinnacle cruiser at our table who was regaling a 1st time cruiser couple with all the stories of cruising was good side entertainment as well. Regular menu was Portobello for those that want to know.

2073401880_2016-03-0307_53_03.jpg.73acd76e6cd3920bdfb034091bbcb196.jpg

Day 5 Aruba had a Segway tour booked and again it was a last minute decision and the instructions from the tour company appeared kind of vague. “Go out through cruise main gate and I will meet you there” We wandered off the ship didn’t see anybody in the immediate vicinity and I wandered outside the main gate and had no way of knowing what I was looking for(no one with a sign or card). As I prepared to go back in ‘a guy’ stopped me called me by name and asked if I was looking for the Segway tours and I noticed he had a Segway shirt on. I rushed to go and tell the rest of our party that I had found him but he said whoa whoa you’re on island time now!! Which was a nice way to stroll back to the ship. Having never been on a Segway it was great fun with lots of stops of pics and water. The tour goes to the lighthouse with a refreshment stop which could include buying a coconut and takes about 2 ½ hours and back which turned into my DWs 2nd favourite day!

Chops for dinner and the quality of the entire dinner was well worth it. Both DW and I preferred the scallop appy over the jumbo prawns.

Regular dinner menu Pimiento.

Went to Centrum for Finish that Lyric which was incredibly well attended. Nailed “Living on a prayer” and DW finished the Bananarama version of ‘Venus’ to win the coveted RCI Lanyard! (x2)

76018553_2016-03-0407_27_32.jpg.40adda67ce6f2442e6c2009011ad9e4c.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg.9a717425c22a72debfac42099b262690.jpg

Day 6 CuracaoWJ for breakfast. Warm fresh donuts and bacon filled me up! Curacao was another day where we picked up a local tour for $20pp and spent 2 ½ hours touring an island we hadn’t been to. Included a stop at Chobolobo liquor factory. Tour passed cemeteries and ‘step houses’. Well worth the money and an opportunity to get back to ship early and maybe find a spot in the Solarium. Can confirm the roof was open at least on this day and took a picture for photographic evidence to prove it! Settled in had a Margarita Azul and found the Kummelweck sandwich here too. Tried it but still no taste luckily my wife had no such trouble and finished it off for me. Back to the MDR for formal night(Jasmine) and perfectly cooked lobster tail(no rubber here). Next up was the 70’s party. Although a little too young to have actually have experienced the 70’s in person the Centrum was packed and from the audience participation to the Royal dancers, singers and go-go dancers in the elevators(isn’t that 60’s?) it was a great hour.

Day 7 At Sea. Galley tour and lunch at Portofino’s. Seeing the crazy amount of buns and pastries that are produced at generally a high quality and seeing the pizza dough being layed out, why for the love of all that is holy can’t they figure out a better pizza dough recipe?? Light champagne brunch at Portofino’s turned into a 6 oz filet mignon and pasta. Kind of spoiled my dinner….which was ok it was Pomodoro this night.

Some general comments about the Jewel. Spent more time inspecting the ship, again no real significant signs of wear and tear in the public areas. Noted some pillars in the Schooner bar close to the piano that had pieces missing off the bottom. Very small amount of rust on balcony joints, Walking up the forward stairs one night some kind of cap popped off a stair hand rail or something right in front of us but for the life of us could not find where it came from.

Wife did note sewage smell walking through deck 12 on more than one occasion, I of course didn’t notice.

Staff were amazing all over the ship. CD and AM/AD Dennis/Enzo were very active in leading activities and meeting guests all over and everywhere at all hours of day and night. Guest services, wait staff, windjammer, room attendants were all friendly, professional, attentive. My DW stopped to think about something right in the middle of WJ and within 15-20 seconds someone approached her to see if she needed assistance. It was funny when we went to NEXT cruise the staff were professional and knowledgeable but not nearly as friendly as everyone else we encountered to the point that both DW and I both commented on it. Actually asked an activity rep on Day 1 or 2 if we were sailing full, the response was yes, but with all the customer touch points it sure didn’t feel like it. Went to the WJ on the last day just after opening to see if I would finally see the chaos that I’ve seen at other windjammers but there was again no crowds and only order and staff smiles.

After being on a Radiance class for the first time I can see what people like and dislike about this size. Only 1 or 2x did I miss having a promenade when things got busy. Will I sail this class again? In a heartbeat. Am I going on the Harmony? You bet. Would I consider a B2B on this size ship in the Caribbean or Mediterranean? Absolutely.

Still working on pics-will see what I can post.

Loving your review. We are sailing Jewel next year, and it will be our first time. Super jazzed about it.

I keep seeing various names for the menus. (Saffron, Basil?) I don't know how I've missed it, but what do these names mean?

Thanks so much!

Loving your review. We are sailing Jewel next year, and it will be our first time. Super jazzed about it.

I keep seeing various names for the menus. (Saffron, Basil?) I don't know how I've missed it, but what do these names mean?

Thanks so much!

Those names are supposed to denote some ingredient used in one or more of the selections on that particular menu.

Here are some of the menus so you can see the explanation:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/download-press-kit/7/

Included the names because some people will actually know exactly what is on each menu or like Bob they have link sitting on there computer for immediate viewing (just jealous I don't )

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hello

We will be sailing JOS in 12 days with the same itinerary. One of the reasons we choose this ship is Curaçao and st. Kitts. We would be very disappointed if they change up any of the scheduled stops. Thanks for your review.

Edited by mdxter