Sea sickness advice!

Taiters91

Hello!

I have spoken to a lot of people and taken lots of advice, but with my first cruise now only 2 weeks away I wanted to hear some experiences :)

I am very worried about sea sickness as I get motion sick, but hoping I'll be fine on my southern Caribbean cruise on serenade.

I was going to get the patch, with tablets as a back up. I have read some brilliant reviews on the patch but also that people can suffer hideous symptoms when they take it off and I don't want to risk that.

I live in the UK and have brought some Bonine from the USA. I an wondering if I would be best to take these and take some patches just in case? I know they do injections in case of sickness too.

Thank you

I get sick watching children in a swing. I take a Bonine the morning of the cruise and another around 4pm that day. That's enough to usually keep me free of any symptoms for the whole cruise. If we hit a little rough water or bad weather, I'll chew another to be safe. One other time I need one is coming out of Cozumel. I learned the hard way that I need one then.

Other than that, it's smooth sailing for my comfort.

It doesn't make me sleepy, by the way, and I can have a drink, though just to be sure, I don't drink that first day. My history before I discovered Bonine taught me a lesson.

Meclizine is the pharmaceutical name of the

medication in Bonine, by the way. You can probably get it in the UK by asking for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Im a dreadful traveler not just by sea ,so I always take sturgeron so far it's never failed me and we have been in some pretty rough seas. I think the secret and I can only speak for myself is to start taking them BEFORE you leave ,

I usually start the day before I travel then for the first couple of days at sea. I then just start to take them again the day before our return journey usually when we're crossing the bay of biscay , can't take any chances ..lol.

I'm sure you'll be fine try not to think too much about it and try to be up on deck as much as you can the fresh air helps a lot.

Im a dreadful traveler not just by sea ,so I always take sturgeron so far it's never failed me and we have been in some pretty rough seas. I think the secret and I can only speak for myself is to start taking them BEFORE you leave ,

I usually start the day before I travel then for the first couple of days at sea. I then just start to take them again the day before our return journey usually when we're crossing the bay of biscay , can't take any chances ..lol.

I'm sure you'll be fine try not to think too much about it and try to be up on deck as much as you can the fresh air helps a lot.

My husband suffers terribly from all kinds of motion sickness too and for the last couple of years he's used Sturgeron15 and had no issues. Definitely the secret is taking them before you leave. :)

Hello!

I was going to get the patch, with tablets as a back up. I have read some brilliant reviews on the patch but also that people can suffer hideous symptoms when they take it off and I don't want to risk that.

Thank you

GINGER. if you guys can still get Ginger Altoids, those are great. if not, then any OTC ginger tablet/pill works. start taking it a few days before you board and continue faithfully e while cruising. NO side effects and it tastes yummy esp if you use Altoids or the crystalized candy. also GREEN apples are very good for disputing symptoms. hoard them in your cabin( usually freely available in the buffets at all meals) because if the seas get rough everybody wants them.

Thank you all.

I have Stugeron and Bonine.

I have considered the patches but worries about some of the side effects I read.

I am going to get a prescription just in case but other then that just take the tablets. It's great to hear success stories, thank you xx

The key is prevention. easier to prevent nausea rather than treat it.

The patches work well for most.. Side effects possible but usually mild (dry mouth is one of the top complaints) I recommend it starting day before travel and continuing for 1 day post travel.

Sturgeon 15 (cinazarine-uk) or Bonine (meclizine-usa) both minimal drowsy antihistamines. These 2 are the standards for prevention

Original Dramamine-dimenhydrinate works well but most find it too sedating (sleepy) does not play well with alcohol (extra drowsy)

If motion sickness starts.. Ginger is my top choice.. i get capsules at a local health food store or green apples

Luckily with the current size of the vessels and the addition of winged stabilizers.. the volume of motion sickness has diminished..

Enjoy your cruise and hope you have smooth sailing

Rick

Edited by dappledumpling

I used a patch years ago but was so tired on my first day that I just wanted to curl up and sleep. Now I just take Meclizine if I start to feel a little funky and it works great. I think everyone's body reacts differently to different remedies. Find what works for you.

Edited by tamom

I was on the Serenade last week, and like you I am very prone to motion sickness. We had a few rough sea days (at least for me-about 3 metre high waves). I started taking Bonine two days before the cruise, one pill before bed. Once on the ship, if I started to feel a bit of sickness coming on, I would take a second Bonine for that day.

Gravol ginger pills are amazing too, and I supplemented with those as-needed. This was my first cruise without any sea sickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just off Serenade last month. Those longer southern Carib cruises go through some

rough seas on passage, especially the 11 night that goes all the way to the ABC islands.

On my very first cruise many years ago, I decided to wear the patch. The next day I had extreme dry

mouth, dizzy, and felt like I had the flu. :eek: Took the patch off and was fine within a few hours.

Have never used it since.

I will snack on a green apple if I feel urpy, and that usually does it for me.

Edited by island lady

Hello!

I have spoken to a lot of people and taken lots of advice, but with my first cruise now only 2 weeks away I wanted to hear some experiences :)

I am very worried about sea sickness as I get motion sick, but hoping I'll be fine on my southern Caribbean cruise on serenade.

I live in the UK and have brought some Bonine from the USA. I an wondering if I would be best to take these and take some patches just in case? I know they do injections in case of sickness too.

Thank you

I've taken the patch and I've also taken Bonine. Go with the Bonine. Don't take both together though.

I had a terrible experience with the patches. I was half asleep for most of the cruise. Then, I somehow managed to touch my eye with the medicine from the patch on it, and it blew my pupil. I had to wear sunglasses everywhere for the remainder of the trip.

On every other cruise, I have taken Bonnine and it works like a charm. I don't get sleepy, don't get sick, and have no adverse side-effects.

You of course will get many opinions on this thread.

We consulted our family doctor, and he knowing our health history felt it safe to prescribe for us the Scop patch.

Being in the medical field we are aware of the risks, benefits and side effects.

We have used it on 6 or our 7 cruises and are very happy.

It works for us.

Safe travels.

I carry Ginger capsules with me and will take the first one the night before, and usually one the day of departure and first sea day. By then, I have my 'sea legs'.

I also second keeping green apples handy. You can ask for saltines too. Its important that you continue to eat even if feeling queasy...an empty stomach can actually make you feel worse.

You of course will get many opinions on this thread.

We consulted our family doctor, and he knowing our health history felt it safe to prescribe for us the Scop patch.

Being in the medical field we are aware of the risks, benefits and side effects.

We have used it on 6 or our 7 cruises and are very happy.

It works for us.

Safe travels.

Thank you.

The patch sounds perfect to me but I have a very weak immune system and general health isn't great. I am cautious of side effects. I have a GP appointment next week and will discuss it all :)

GINGER. if you guys can still get Ginger Altoids, those are great. if not, then any OTC ginger tablet/pill works. start taking it a few days before you board and continue faithfully e while cruising. NO side effects and it tastes yummy esp if you use Altoids or the crystalized candy. also GREEN apples are very good for disputing symptoms. hoard them in your cabin( usually freely available in the buffets at all meals) because if the seas get rough everybody wants them.

We always take a bottle of ginger capsules. Then we take a couple at dinner the eve before we cBoard then one at breakfast and dinner. No side effects. It's great to have no worries and no drug interactions or side effects.

Tigers2425

And another vote for Bonine here. I usually start taking them a day or two before the cruise and take them until a day or two after the cruise. Have fun! :)

Cindy

Thank you. As we travel 2 days before it should be in my system :)

I only have 16 Bonine tablets as brought them from the US, we are away for 14 days. I will take Stugeron in case I need a top up - will this be okay?

I am very prone to motion sickness and can't even read on a plane due to the vibrations. I usually take ginger capsules from the health food store plus Bonine, starting the evening before we sail and sometimes still feel a little sick. Dramamine doesn't seem to work for me.

On my last cruise I also used an over-the-counter patch made from natural ingredients, which I got from Amazon. That cruise was the ultimate test....we were on the Anthem of the Seas "Storm Mars Cruise to Nowhere", with the 150 mph winds and 30-40 foot seas. I WAS NEVER EVEN QUEASY! I don't know if it was the patch or the combination of all the remedies, but it was amazing to be able to actually look out the window at the sea and not feel sick!

Moral of the story, I guess, is to try all sorts of things and see what works for you.

I am very prone to motion sickness and can't even read on a plane due to the vibrations. I usually take ginger capsules from the health food store plus Bonine, starting the evening before we sail and sometimes still feel a little sick. Dramamine doesn't seem to work for me.

On my last cruise I also used an over-the-counter patch made from natural ingredients, which I got from Amazon. That cruise was the ultimate test....we were on the Anthem of the Seas "Storm Mars Cruise to Nowhere", with the 150 mph winds and 30-40 foot seas. I WAS NEVER EVEN QUEASY! I don't know if it was the patch or the combination of all the remedies, but it was amazing to be able to actually look out the window at the sea and not feel sick!

Moral of the story, I guess, is to try all sorts of things and see what works for you.

Thanks so much. As its my first cruise, I honestly have no idea how I'll feel. I live on an island so am used to ferries but do get travel sick badly.

Worst case I'll get the injection on board.

It's reassuring that people cruise time and time again despite having some travel sickness :)

Thanks so much. As its my first cruise, I honestly have no idea how I'll feel. I live on an island so am used to ferries but do get travel sick badly.

Worst case I'll get the injection on board.

It's reassuring that people cruise time and time again despite having some travel sickness :)

Just looked on Amazon and can see the patch you mean but as I'm in the UK they won't arrive on time :(