Singapore to HK Port or Starboard

anniegb

Hi Annie,

We have just got back from our Singapore to Hong Kong Cruise aboard the Millenium. We booked a port side cabin but I think you would be better with starboard as we didn't get much of a view in Singapore or Hong Kong from our balcony. Also the sun did not get on our balcony until 2.30 to 3.00pm.Suppose it depends if you want the sun!! We had a view looking out at the terminal building in Singapore and likewise in Hong Kong. Hope you have a fab cruise. Cheers Anne

Iamthesea - The weather will be either fine or terrible. February historically is nice but who knows a year ahead or even tomorrow.

What is considered "nice". I have no idea what to pack for clothing. :rolleyes:

Are temps usually warm, cool or cold in February? Areas mostly rainy or fair?

I am more concerned about having the proper clothes. We know that when we cruise in the spring and fall to Europe to expect mostly cool temps with the exception of a few ports.

This thread is of interest to me. :)

We are booked on the 2/25/17 cruise. We have a Starboard stateroom AQ1 with the barely covered balcony. What is the weather like for this cruise in February?

You go from steaming hot (Singapore) up to Bright but chilly (Hong Kong) - Northern Vietnam similar to HKG. If you stop in Thailand, it is also very hot and humid similar to Singapore. Rain most likely in Singapore.

Hong Kong is often assumed by many to be hot year round. That is definitely not the case and can get cold in the winter months but rare to get really cold as in frost. Many a time I flew from where I was based (Singapore and Bangkok) for business meetings and completely forgot about the weather difference. Frequently ended up shivering waiting for the airport express to head downtown. It has seasonal weather changes that are quite noticeable. Keep in mind the start of the cruise is 2500km away from the destination. similar distance to Miami to Toronto.

Thank you. Very helpful! Saving your post a file. :)

We will also be on a Sydney to Auckland cruise, ending a week before the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise. Doing something landside during that week before flying to Singapore. :eek:

Sounds like with the European cruises, we will pack for both types of weather and take layers.

Hello. We too have just returned from this cruise, joining the Millennium on the 14th February.

We were actually in an aft cabin ourselves so had a good view of both sides. In port, the starboard was perhaps the better, certainly in HK.

As for the weather and the places we visited:

Singapore - hot , hot, hot and sunny

Bangkok - hot, sunny and humid

Ho Chi Min and area - hot and humid

Hoi An - hot and sunny

Halong Bay - COLD and damp! Oh goodness, what a shock! Take jumpers and waterproof jackets!

Hong Kong - it had been cold, but turned on our arrival and quite pleasant. Be prepared for changing weather.

A lovely cruise.

Hello. We too have just returned from this cruise, joining the Millennium on the 14th February.

We were actually in an aft cabin ourselves so had a good view of both sides. In port, the starboard was perhaps the better, certainly in HK.

Hoi An - hot and sunny

Halong Bay - COLD and damp! Oh goodness, what a shock! Take jumpers and waterproof jackets!

Hong Kong - it had been cold, but turned on our arrival and quite pleasant. Be prepared for changing weather.

A lovely cruise.

Good to see some supporting evidence for what I suggested LOL. Take layers and a rain coat/umbrella. Most times I used to miss my own advice :confused:

We will also be on a Sydney to Auckland cruise, ending a week before the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise. Doing something landside during that week before flying to Singapore. :eek:

Sounds like with the European cruises, we will pack for both types of weather and take layers.

A very wise choice.

:)

anniegb - Did you sign up for the cruise? Is it the same date as mine? I think there is a Roll Call, but I have not been active, as yet.

I am at looking at different dates in 2016.

However I think I will be on the Feb Solstice to NZ - my godson's wedding is later in the month.

Annie

Hoi An - hot and sunny

A lovely cruise.

Thanks for this.

I view packing for cruising similar to holidaying in N Europe - prepare for 4 seasons in the one day.

Annie

This thread is of interest to me. :)

We are booked on the 2/25/17 cruise. We have a Starboard stateroom AQ1 with the barely covered balcony. What is the weather like for this cruise in February?

Hello Iamthesea and Anniegb, we are also booked on the same cruise.

Anniegb you are right, our Roll Call is not very active and I learned more in this present short discussion (about weather to be expected) than in our whole Roll Call.

Iamthesea, I agree about the AQ1 deck 11 side balconies; that's the reason why we preferred a covered deck 9 AQ2 balcony. See you at the Blu!

Before someone mentions it to us, we should continue this discussion in the Roll Call thread and start talking about shore excursions and our pre and post cruise plans!

Anniegb you are right, our Roll Call is not very active and I learned more in this present short discussion (about weather to be expected) than in our whole Roll Call.

Iamthesea, I agree about the AQ1 deck 11 side balconies; that's the reason why we preferred a covered deck 9 AQ2 balcony. See you at the Blu!

Before someone mentions it to us, we should continue this discussion in the Roll Call thread and start talking about shore excursions and our pre and post cruise plans!

Hi vivi9909

I am NOT booked on any Millie cruise in 2017.

Annie

I am at looking at different dates in 2016.

However I think I will be on the Feb Solstice to NZ - my godson's wedding is later in the month.

Annie

I see. I thought the 2016 Asian cruises were over. Shows you what I know. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of more cruises to plan before I get to the 2017 cruises. Maybe I will check the Roll Call out in June. Looking forward to meeting you, too! ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

95% of the time the only view is the ocean anyway. It really comes down to - would you like direct sun in the morning or in the evening. If you want morning sun - Starboard. If you want sun in the late afternoon/evening - Port.

You go from steaming hot (Singapore) up to Bright but chilly (Hong Kong) - Northern Vietnam similar to HKG. If you stop in Thailand, it is also very hot and humid similar to Singapore. Rain most likely in Singapore.

Hong Kong is often assumed by many to be hot year round. That is definitely not the case and can get cold in the winter months but rare to get really cold as in frost. Many a time I flew from where I was based (Singapore and Bangkok) for business meetings and completely forgot about the weather difference. Frequently ended up shivering waiting for the airport express to head downtown. It has seasonal weather changes that are quite noticeable. Keep in mind the start of the cruise is 2500km away from the destination. similar distance to Miami to Toronto.

HK is in the sub tropics and its coldest month is Jan with an average temp of 16C/61F which is far from cold or even chilly IMO, its close in Latitude to Hawaii actually. The worst months there are July and August when its hot and the humidity is off the charts....

Yes, definitely take layers for NZ. Even in mid-summer it can be very cool when cruising through Fiordland. On our Christmas cruise around NZ we had 30C (86F) in Akaroa, then 14C (57F) with a cold southerly wind blowing in Dunedin the next day. It felt even colder the following day when we went through Fiordland - my warm hat and gloves were very welcome.