Port Canaveral restaurants?

mspink98

I highly recommend Coconuts and Fishlips

For pizza, Bizzaros, further away but delicious

Have been dying to try Grills. So much buzz around them and their lionfish meals.

Lion Fish availability is hit or miss. They didn't have it when I was there March 6.

I agree that Sandbar is amazing. A local bartender pointed us that direction on our pre cruise night 9 years ago and we have been going back every chance we get!

Taco Tuesday has been really crowded lately. Hopefully back to normal in a few more weeks

Aw man that's a shame. Hope it's available next time we're around, prob mid August time

I don't believe they are commercially fished. They rely on sport fishers to supply them. Not much to eat, but they are fun to take apart. ;)

for those who may not be aware of the lion fish issue

this is a non native fish to the Carib' that somehow got here and is now decimating the fish populations on coral reefs ..

They eat small fish voraciously .... they do not shool and migrate so net capture is not an option and I've never heard of one taking a hook. Research has been done to try and "train" the fish to be a scavenger of dead fish on the reef rather than a live feeder with no significant results. SO, in recent years divers have taken to spear fishing as the only viable way to reduce the growing population and contests are even held to see who can bring up the most. In many places normal spear fishing regulations are waived or modified if you are hunting lions.

Grills made a nice press splash when they started serving them .... and this IS a good idea, previously there was NO market. IF this became a marketable product others might hunt them .... for now Grills is limited to opportunities to get this item from amature hunters . . . but hey, it IS better than just kill and toss . . .

dd (in the picture from such a hunt in Curacao) tells me the flesh is a nice mild white fish ... but it is not a BIG fish so not much meat to one. She has had cooked and raw. Dive Masters she is friends with take 'em home and consider it a free meal where spearfishing would otherwise be prohibited.

{btw those spines on the back are venomous ..... improper handling of this lil guy can result in a VERY VERY nasty wound . . .}

Edited by Capt_BJ

Capt BJ,

I really appreciated your insight about Lion Fish and I was aware of the dangerous potential of their spines. Because of this, I was wondering why anyone would even try to handle this fish.

If on the menu of a restuarant I visit, I still think I will select something else.

Capt BJ,

I really appreciated your insight about Lion Fish and I was aware of the dangerous potential of their spines. Because of this, I was wondering why anyone would even try to handle this fish.

If on the menu of a restuarant I visit, I still think I will select something else.

Give it a try, not many places to get them. Plus they are pretty tasty. Grills prepares them with a terriaki glaze as I recall.

ry%3D480

Bon Apetit

Hello Mommyrants,

The only thing near the Doubletree is the beach and Ron Jon surf shop which is 1 mile away. If you have an entire day, I would recommend going to one of the parks (Disney, Universal, Seaworld or Legoland) If you don't have a full day, I would go to the Kennedy Space Center. There are also airboat rides and river cruises whicj run about an hour or two.

UBER is available for cheap transportation to all these destinations. If you would like more info, I am honest and will help you out as best I can, my email is rhodyrides@juno.com, or you can reach me by phone at (321) 613-8897. Sincerely, Bill

What's best in walking distance of the DoubleTree?

One of the best restaurants (#1 in Cocoa Beach according to TripAdvisor) in the area is right across the road from the Doubletree - Florida's Fresh Grill.

We love that place but do make reservations.

3 Wishes inside the Doubletree is not bad. We go there off and on for Happy Hour. The pizza is actually very good!

If you walk a bit to the south you find one of the best drink deals in town - Time Out bar upstairs in the La Quinta. $1.50 pitchers of beer and great Wings. Great noisy sports bar.

We also like the Siam Orchid next door for Asian.

Edited by SteerageJoe

Used to be Papa Vitos, but they are just swamped lately. Snowbirds. ;)

A NY pizza is good, so is Anacapri, but they aren't answering phone lately. Jazzys Mainly Lobster has best onion rings ever. Haven't been in forever because of Laura's diet.

BTW, that quote "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is a bold face lie ;)

Oh, and Sharktank pizza is pretty good, plus you get a pitcher of beer with it. :D

If you have time and can get over there, Ryan's (in Cocoa Village) has pizzas that most closely resemble new York style.

Definitely have some area experts on here so I hope you can answer a question. We are trying to decide between staying in Port Can. or right in Cocoa Beach. Open to either.

Is the Cocoa Beach Pier something our two kids (both 13) would enjoy or is just mainly for dining? I am trying to determine if it is more of a cool bar atmosphere?

Also, any comments on the Manatee Sanctuary?

Definitely have some area experts on here so I hope you can answer a question. We are trying to decide between staying in Port Can. or right in Cocoa Beach. Open to either.

Is the Cocoa Beach Pier something our two kids (both 13) would enjoy or is just mainly for dining? I am trying to determine if it is more of a cool bar atmosphere?

Also, any comments on the Manatee Sanctuary?

I guess it all boils down to do you want a beach property. The Cape Canaveral hotels really aren't beach front. I liked the Doubletree, but not much nearby.