Port Canaveral restaurants?

mspink98

We'll be in Cocoa Beach for one night next month on our way to Ft. Lauderdale (got a great rate on a room to break up the drive and get vacation started a day early!) and I noticed that there are two ships leaving the afternoon we'll be there. It's been a couple of years since we've been to any of the port places, what's good lately? I've always been partial to Grills but can be flexible.

Another possibility is enjoying an adult beverage while watching the ships leave and heading somewhere else (preferably waterfront) for dinner. We're staying at the LQ Oceanfront, anything worthwhile near there?

We prefer Fishlips over Grills, but that's just us. We realize everyone's taste in restaurants is different. We also like to have drinks at Fishlips outdoor bar on the top deck while watching the ships leave.

Head south on A1A, North Atlantic Ave to the Minuteman Causeway turn left to Fat Kahuna's or Coconuts on the Beach. You'll be by the ocean side and may be able to see the ships heading south in a distance. Nothing like as close up at any of the places mentioned in Port Canaveral.

Edited by crewsweeper

Fishlips and Grills are over rated There is a new restaurant called Squid Lip on the river

HA HA

this is the third location Squid Lips has opened to try and make money in the 8 years I've lived here

their original location is still an abandoned building in Melbourne (they may have had others b4)

this "new" river location has JUST opened is the former location of a long standing local haunt

The location is on the river ... not on the ocean and the prior attraction was fish feeding under their wood slat flooring

food at Squid Lips is on par (or less by opinion) than Fish Lips or Grills ..... without the port view. YES they have a river view .... near PAtrick AFB

if you are willing to drive this far south go to

Cabana Shores on US 1 just south of 404 .... best food of all . . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Fishlips and Grills are over rated There is a new restaurant called Squid Lip on the river

HA HA

this is the third location Squid Lips has opened to try and make money in the 8 years I've lived here

their original location is still an abandoned building in Melbourne (they may have had others b4)

this "new" river location has JUST opened is the former location of a long standing local haunt

The location is on the river ... not on the ocean and the prior attraction was fish feeding under their wood slat flooring

food at Squid Lips is on par (or less by opinion) than Fish Lips or Grills ..... without the port view. YES they have a river view .... near PAtrick AFB

if you are willing to drive this far south go to

Cabana Shores on US 1 just south of 404 .... best food of all . . . .

Have You been to Squid Lip since they remodeled the Lobster Shanty?

Have You been to Squid Lip since they remodeled the Lobster Shanty?

Been there twice a week since opening. Best sunset bar/restaurant in the area on this side of the river! Food is good but no better/worse than most of the popular restaurants along the coast here. A long drive down there from the Port area and perhaps not worth it if your hotel is near the Port.

Big open space outside with good live music. Currently a very popular place.

The inside seating area is boring to say the least - sit outside!

The biggest issue right now is parking - or lack thereof. The sites were designed for minicoopers. Leave your Hummer or dually truck at home or park unsafely in the street on the middleman! Valet parking seems to be their thing at this time because half the lot is dedicated to valet.

6b32565a448688a72d8b16af70673b26?AccessKeyId=48967324A3B30B96693E&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Edited by SteerageJoe

Food is good but no better/worse than most of the popular restaurants along the coast here.

MY POINT

at one time the food at Grills was very good, but that was several years ago. Squid Lips has been searching for locations according to their own statements to the press in food reviews ... their food .... average. They want to draw folks by location .. their words, not mine.

ABOVE AVERAGE .... Cabana Shores

not recommended for people who want to eat at the port

but if driving as far as Squid at the old Lobster House location ... go a few minutes farther to GREAT food

food at Squid is no better than Fish Lips or Grills ....... and later two have advantage of view into the port.

If willing to drive to Squid's new location ... stop at Coconuts, about half way there, at least you'll have an ocean view. Or go the extra mile to Cabana .... now THAT's good food.

Edited by Capt_BJ

It depends on what you're looking for. Milliken's Reef is our favorite at Cocoa Beach. It's also on the water.

http://millikensreef.com/

Yes, Milliken's is another competitor versus Fish Lips or Grills, all in the same general location. But it's not in Cocoa Beach, it's in Port Canaveral and it's water views is the port channel. Still out on it's patio/ tiki bar is a great spot to watch the ships pull out of the dock and start their way down.

Yes, Milliken's is another competitor versus Fish Lips or Grills, all in the same general location. But it's not in Cocoa Beach, it's in Port Canaveral and it's water views is the port channel. Still out on it's patio/ tiki bar is a great spot to watch the ships pull out of the dock and start their way down.

I think as far as tourists go, Port Canaveral, Cape Canaveral, and Cocoa Beach are pretty much interchangeable.

I like Sandbar, and it is in Cocoa Beach. ;)

Edited by John&LaLa

Thanks! We usually drive down a few times a year since it's just a couple hour drive from us, but we rarely stay over, and are almost never coming for dinner. Usually we're just out for a leisurely drive and end up there :D. The irony is that just last night vacation schedules changed and now we COULD drive all the way to FLL on that Friday, but whatever....

I'm thinking it might end up being drinks at the port to watch the ships sail, then Sandbar for dinner (walking distance to hotel, yay!) but still open to suggestions!

Thanks! We usually drive down a few times a year since it's just a couple hour drive from us, but we rarely stay over, and are almost never coming for dinner. Usually we're just out for a leisurely drive and end up there :D. The irony is that just last night vacation schedules changed and now we COULD drive all the way to FLL on that Friday, but whatever....

I'm thinking it might end up being drinks at the port to watch the ships sail, then Sandbar for dinner (walking distance to hotel, yay!) but still open to suggestions!

So what night are you in town?

I think as far as tourists go, Port Canaveral, Cape Canaveral, and Cocoa Beach are pretty much interchangeable.

I like Sandbar, and it is in Cocoa Beach. ;)

One of our favorites! Add Mainly Lobster, Nolan's, Roberto's and we are happy. John, what is your recommendation for pizza?

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

One of our favorites! Add Mainly Lobster, Nolan's, Roberto's and we are happy. John, what is your recommendation for pizza?

M

Used to be Papa Vitos, but they are just swamped lately. Snowbirds. ;)

A NY pizza is good, so is Anacapri, but they aren't answering phone lately. Jazzys Mainly Lobster has best onion rings ever. Haven't been in forever because of Laura's diet.

BTW, that quote "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is a bold face lie ;)

Oh, and Sharktank pizza is pretty good, plus you get a pitcher of beer with it. :D

Edited by John&LaLa

Used to be Papa Vitos, but they are just swamped lately. Snowbirds. ;)

A NY pizza is good, so is Anacapri, but they aren't answering phone lately. Jazzys Mainly Lobster has best onion rings ever. Haven't been in forever because of Laura's diet.

BTW, that quote "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is a bold face lie ;)

Oh, and Sharktank pizza is pretty good, plus you get a pitcher of beer with it. :D

Been to A NY Pizza, but not Anacapri or Papa Vitos.

Stayed at the 4 Points a few times and have had the pizza there. Not a beer drinker but I recall a great Mai Tai!

Thanks

Marci

Been to A NY Pizza, but not Anacapri or Papa Vitos.

Stayed at the 4 Points a few times and have had the pizza there. Not a beer drinker but I recall a great Mai Tai!

Thanks

Marci

Doesn't 4 Points have the worst poll ever. They gave us a pass to use the Radisson pool

what is your recommendation for pizza?

In the port area, Kelsey's is darn good pie and family Italian .... and their Greek salad is way above average IMO

Been here since the 80's (been eating there since then) http://kelseyscanaveral.com/

They have several locations around the area, one in front of the Radisson, right on A1A near the port

what is your recommendation for pizza?

In the port area, Kelsey's is darn good pie and family Italian .... and their Greek salad is way above average IMO

Been here since the 80's (been eating there since then) http://kelseyscanaveral.com/

They have several locations around the area, one in front of the Radisson, right on A1A near the port

Thanks Capt. We've passed it many times but have never stopped in. We'll give it a try next visit.

M

Thanks Capt. We've passed it many times but have never stopped in. We'll give it a try next visit.

M

I have lunch at the location closer to home about once a week . . . always a good crowd

Edited by Capt_BJ