Safety of Cabo San Lucas

js_cruise

Hello -

We are traveling to the Mexican Rivera in April with our 2 young kids 5 and 7. We are thinking about getting off the ship in Cabo San Lucas to check things out maybe get a bite to eat and then head back to the ship. My husband and I have been to Cabo years ago w/o kids, but how safe is it now and especially with 2 small children. Should I be concerned or am I just being a little too nervous. :confused:

Thanks!

We were in Cabo last Feb 18. It was very safe.

You can walk around the harbor over to Medano Beach, or take a water taxi.

If you're just looking for a close by beach, turn left when you get off the tender and go around the port shop building. There's a beach right there.

Or, go to Los Arcos with a beach and sights. You can negotiate water taxi ride for about $7 or $8 each.

• 3 months later...
Hello -

We are traveling to the Mexican Rivera in April with our 2 young kids 5 and 7. We are thinking about getting off the ship in Cabo San Lucas to check things out maybe get a bite to eat and then head back to the ship. My husband and I have been to Cabo years ago w/o kids, but how safe is it now and especially with 2 small children. Should I be concerned or am I just being a little too nervous. :confused:

Thanks!

As long as you're not there at night (which shouldn't be an issue on a cruise) you should be fine. A couple from a town in our area was just attacked at 12:15 a.m. while walking back to their condo. A car pulled up, asked them where they were going.....it's a long story, but the husband ended up being dragged down the street as they held on to his arm while they drove away. He was severely injured and will be in the hospital in San Diego for who knows how long. I don't know if he was "part of the problem", but it's pretty scary in any case. :eek:

YIKES :eek:...Thanks for sharing that scarrrry story..but it may have been a bit inappropriate in response to the OP's concerns ;)

The same thing happens in Los Angeles and other major U.S. cities.

If you stick to the downtown area you won't have any worries. Lots of restaurants, stores, very clean, full of tourists. Very walkable . Was just there in November.

Yeah. Soldiers and police armed with M16 everywhere. How much more safer do you want?

Yeah. Soldiers and police armed with M16 everywhere. How much more safer do you want?

Haven't seen those in a while. Not for at least 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went to the Mexican Riviera last November, and Cabo was the safest stop of all. You seem to be worried about Cabo and I wouldn't be, now other Mexican stops, that is another story. Yes I do remember a shooting in Cabo in the tourist area about a year ago. It was drug related and I think a tourist might have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Could that happen in just about any US city also, certainly. Overall, I think Cabo is certainly no worse than most US cities and actually in many ways, its probably safer.

Edited by ano

I've always felt safe in Cabo. I was last there in December and I do remember a cop that was armed with a rifle outside the mall. The only reason I noticed is because it was so hot and his uniform was a dark color and felt bad for him because he had to be roasting.

Of course the risk of casual street crime exists anywhere - so normal caution is indicated: meaning staying out of desolate areas, especially after dark. Mexico, however, is special given the known presence of well armed gangs in certain areas - with a penchant for occasional extreme violence: ergo the heavily armed militarized patrols.

We were in Cabo last April 2016, & have been there a few times. We felt very safe there, walked downtown, took a pedal taxi, had a great time. The vendors there can be a bit pushy, we just politely say no thanks & go on our way with no problems.