Pre cruise hotel

Whitnee1

Sailing on the Gem in November looking for a reasonable pre cruise hotel. Not sure if we leave from the downtown piers or the ones back up the bay.

So CC Members can assist, what price range do you deem to be reasonable?

We will also be sailing on the Gem in November, when I Calle NCL they told me we will be embarking at the Old San Juan pier, not the pan American pier. I have to say, you may have trouble finding a hotel in that price range, San Juan can be expensive. We are booked at the Sheraton in Old San Juan, which is right next the the cruise pier. If you have the right room, you can even see them docked in gift out front! I think the least expensive rooms were about $160 - $170. I hope this helps a little bit :)

What type of hotel are you looking for? If you just want basic accomodations, we stayed at the Borinquen Beach Inn in San Juan for around $100 a night. The room was large and clean, the beds were super comfortable but this is a basic hotel, nothing fancy.

Just did a random quick check for the Sheraton Old San Juan for a Friday night stay at the beginning of November: there is a limited offer of $149/night for a traditional 1 king room. It is a fully pre-paid, no changes, no refund rate.

The next rate is $169/night, also prepaid and no refund.

The $100 rate is rather unreasonable for San Juan. If you really must stick to it, check out an OTA like hotels.com and plug in your price and see what you find; I saw lots of 2* hotels for that price and you wouldn't catch me staying at a 2*...

Why aren't people posting on the "sticky" for winning hotels :confused: The prices are so high, I can't imagine paying full price.

People probably aren't posting because it's just as easy for everyone to go to those 2 bidding sites and search themselves…

Even on these sites, the traffic seems to be slowing down.

From someone in the hotel industry: no one pays full price anymore, unless you are a last-minute walk-in and the Front Desk could only offer the full rate. For each hotel room, there are always numerous rate plans available. It is up to your comfort level - pay up front with no refund yields the least expensive, but most risk - advance deposit but refundable anytime yields the most expensive. You have to dive into the rates for your various hotels to see what fits.

Edited by slidergirl

People probably aren't posting because it's just as easy for everyone to go to those 2 bidding sites and search themselves…

I know you can research yourself, but I'm curious what prices and hotels they are getting.

We stayed at the Intercontinental years back for $135! We bidded for the room and got a great price and a fantastic hotel!!

We stayed at the Intercontinental last Oct. The prices are very high now and most of the hotels add a pretty hefty "resort fee."

If the ship is docked in Old San Juan, people can save the taxi fare by walking to the pier.

Like the airfare, hotels in San Juan are very expensive for what they give you.