Formal -v- Evening Chic

devonshirecreamtea

Hi - We are cruising on Celebrity Reflection 25 April 2016. Wondering with the new dress codes how many men are actually still wearing formal dinner suits?

I think its sad they have have decided to downgrade the formal evenings. It is such a lovely and special thing to dress up for the evening and if you don't want to you are quite at liberty to go to the less formal buffet restaurants. Anyone been recently to give an opinion whether men are dressing up/or down??

Hi - We are cruising on Celebrity Reflection 25 April 2016. Wondering with the new dress codes how many men are actually still wearing formal dinner suits?

I think its sad they have have decided to downgrade the formal evenings. It is such a lovely and special thing to dress up for the evening and if you don't want to you are quite at liberty to go to the less formal buffet restaurants. Anyone been recently to give an opinion whether men are dressing up/or down??

Just got off Eclipse last week and my observation is as follows: 3% tuxes, 10% dark suites, 25% coat and tie, most of rest in nice casual wear. Women were a little dressier, nice sundresses, some longer dresses, nice dressy slacks but still many in nice casual. We wore nice casual and felt like we fit in

On our January Silhouette cruise about half the men were wearing suits or blazers. There were a few tuxes. Most of the other men wore long sleeved dress shirts and slacks. There were a few golf shirts. Mostly everyone looked very nice. I probably should mention this was a Caribbean cruise, select dining, 7pm. Perhaps those who ate later in the evening observed something different.

IMO, Celebrity made the right decision with the Chic dress code.

Edited by Marelaine

Just got off Eclipse last week and my observation is as follows: 3% tuxes, 10% dark suites, 25% coat and tie, most of rest in nice casual wear. Women were a little dressier, nice sundresses, some longer dresses, nice dressy slacks but still many in nice casual. We wore nice casual and felt like we fit in

3% and declining! I love it!

On our January Silhouette cruise about half the men were wearing suits or blazers. There were a few tuxes. Most of the other men wore long sleeved dress shirts and slacks. There were a few golf shirts. Mostly everyone looked very nice. I probably should mention this was a Caribbean cruise, select dining, 7pm. Perhaps those who ate later in the evening observed something different.

IMO, Celebrity made the right decision with the Chic dress code.

I totally agree. I am leaving for the Caribbean on Saturday on the Summit and I am bringing a sport coat for the two captains nights but only bringing slacks and nice golf shirts for the other evenings. I could never understand why people care what other people wear unless they are really dressed down like bib overalls that were mentioned. I have been on at least 25 cruises since 1982 and I have seen people dressed every way possible. You will never change people so why even bother. Care about yourselves and enjoy your vacation.

Just got off Reflection on March 5th and my observation is as follows: 10% tuxes, 20% dark suites, 25% coat and tie, most of rest in very nice casual wear. Women were a lot dressier, cocktail dresses, nice sundresses, some longer dresses, nice dressy slacks and lots of sparkles, very few that were totally casual. We wore Tux and cocktail dress with my best heels and felt perfectly comfortable.

In fact, we thought it was much dressier than what we had read about on these boards. We did not see any shorts, T-shirts or flip-flops that night. (Yes, some thong sandals but with bling and looking chic)

I was pleasantly pleased at how nice everyone looked, not that it would make or break my evening. I did not see anyone in the dining room that looked terrible and I think the change will work out well for Celebrity.

I differ in opinion, you should not have to eat in the buffet just because you don't want to wear a jacket and tie.

Evening Chic rocked!!

On our Carib cruise in Jan. I'd guess that at least half of the men had jackets ( suits or sport coats) and almost all of those had a tie on. A handful of tuxes. Many men did have on dress shirts, sweaters, vests etc. Saw no one in polo shirt unless under a sportcoat. Observation....dress "nice" and however you feel is dressed up ...aka "chic".

If you really want to pull out the tux and long gown that will work too.

Our observations......The older the clientele, the more we see tuxes and dressy clothes. Same for longer cruises. And of course European cruises (leaving from England, especially) appear more dressy.

Edited by eandj

Cruises in the Med or elsewhere will likely be much more "formal". Seems we now have about 400 posts about this and I guess my sports coat and tie will continue to be just fine. Yes, I have a top hat and tails, but it is relegated to when I am the spokesperson at a charity function.

Sorry, english is not my mother language : would you like to tell me what "bib" is?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Bib overall are dungarees (Ie; Construction worker - gardener) pants with a large flap of the same material pulled up in front and hooked with two straps over the shoulders. ( Excellent for the always at the buffet line types) Usually worn with a wife beater "T" A wife beater T is basically an undershirt with no sleeves but two shoulder straps.

You will find this outfit to be the fashion statement on NCL and trust me it will be coming to most all cruise lines that water down their dress code because no matter how low you go there will be those who feel it is their vacation the rest of the ship be d-- and since this is how they dress at home they wish to be comfortable on board.

Only a few short years before the memories of class, grace and elegance begin to kick in.

Bib overall are dungarees (Ie; Construction worker - gardener) pants with a large flap of the same material pulled up in front and hooked with two straps over the shoulders. ( Excellent for the always at the buffet line types) Usually worn with a wife beater "T" A wife beater T is basically an undershirt with no sleeves but two shoulder straps.

You will find this outfit to be the fashion statement on NCL and trust me it will be coming to most all cruise lines that water down their dress code because no matter how low you go there will be those who feel it is their vacation the rest of the ship be d-- and since this is how they dress at home they wish to be comfortable on board.

Only a few short years before the memories of class, grace and elegance begin to kick in.

A bib is also a piece of cloth fastened around a child's neck to protect their clothing while eating ;). Perhaps that's what the wearers had in mind :rolleyes:.

A bib is also a piece of cloth fastened around a child's neck to protect their clothing while eating ;). Perhaps that's what the wearers had in mind :rolleyes:.

And a bib shirt is a formal dress shirt with extra material at the front

Just returned from the Eclipse sailing, I took and wore my tux because

My dear other half likes to see me wear it.

However we have decided that next year I won't have to take it but will

take some suits, to be honest never noticed what other folks were wearing

But had a great cruise, even though there was a guy in speedos

sitting next to us in Tuscan, was funny when he spilt his soup

Edited by swigso

We were on the Reflection early February and from what I observed, the Evening Chic was less dressy than the Formal Nights on previous cruises. There were definitely less men wearing a tux, and in general less suits and sport coats. As has been said before, the women seemed more dressed up and not that much different from the Formal Nights.

Take into account these recent reviews of the dress code are on a Caribbean cruise which most always is more relaxed...but for a Mediterranean cruise is more dressier IMHO

True. It seems the Formal nights are more respected when sailing other than the Caribbean. Maybe it's due to the increase in international clientèle for those itineraries.

Don't flame...its just my observation...and IMHO, I believe it should be chic on the Caribbean itineraries because of the relaxed atmosphere. I'll save my formal attire for those other itineraries.

Will be joining you on the Reflection and will be bringing DJ. On two recent cruises in Asia a good number of men were wearing DJ's. Similarly, in December in Carib quite a good number also. Perhaps a number of guests from Miami did not join us that cruise or perhaps did not know what 'chic' meant either . Lol.