Carry-on only!

DancingGypsy

"I am an over packer and can't travel any other way". I admire all you other's as I see you with your carryon...but alas I will never be one of you :o;)

I agree!!! I carry a carry on, a very large purse, and a 29" bag!

Really not a complicated thing. If it doesn't fit, make a choice. Leave it behind, find a smaller substitute, or check a bag. It is all just choices.

It is amazing what can be done given a certain mindset. I have spent up to 10 days at a time hiking the Appalachian Trail. That means carrying 10 days of food, shelter, bedding, clothing, cooking gear, and on and on in 1 pack. Vacationing via carry on is cake compared to that.

Others (like my sister) have a different mindset. She likes to take the whole house with her.

It is just choices. It is not a matter of right or wrong. And it is not complex.

If your trip had more moving around Italy (and I remember your itinerary), I would try to talk you into at least being more mobile, if not carry on. We managed to get my elderly parents to do carry on only for their 2 week trip to France, Austria, and Italy. While it was a pain, they were able to rush through a few train stations to not miss connections. They had over head bin sized roller back packs.

I also do some laundry in sinks. :D Being that we travel just as two- there are normally 4 people's worth of towels- which is key to doing laundry.

(you have a great trip planned... )

Thanks! I'm really trying to reduce luggage for that reason but it will be tough. All my hotels are within a 10 minute walk of the train stations so I'm hoping that makes things easier.

Question for those who can do the carry on only......is that a carry on per PERSON or COUPLE? On our last 10 day trip, we were able to do it with 2 medium bags. I believe we could consolidate into 2 carry ons, but there's no way (I don't believe) we could do just one!

We fly with Southwest mainly, so checked luggage is no big deal, but I like the idea of less "stuff."

I forgot to add that I use packing cubes - can get a lot into each cube.

We discovered these last year....Can't say enough great things about them! However, I can't convince my mom or MIL to use them for our upcoming girl's trip....they think it's blasphemy to roll up their clothes! :eek: lol

• 2 weeks later...
Question for those who can do the carry on only......is that a carry on per PERSON or COUPLE? On our last 10 day trip, we were able to do it with 2 medium bags. I believe we could consolidate into 2 carry ons, but there's no way (I don't believe) we could do just one!

We fly with Southwest mainly, so checked luggage is no big deal, but I like the idea of less "stuff."

It would have to be a carry on bag per person for a 10 day cruise; would not be enough room in one carry on for two people that many days at sea.

I could never just take a carry on. I enjoy a different outfit every night and enjoy different shoes to match each outfit, etc.. I take all my shampoo, bar soap, blow dryer, etc.. that stuff alone takes up a big portion of my suitcase.

I guess each person has their own way they enjoy a vacation. To me it is having everything I need and choices on clothes. I am on vacation and I want to look nice, I don't care if it takes a few extra minutes at the end of the cruise to find my luggage. It is worth it.

My record: 2 months of travel in 1 carry-on each, DH had a back pack & I had a big-a@@ purse!

We did 7 nights by car, 11 night TA cruise, 30 days in Europe by train, 1 week at Disney and 5 night by car home. Did I miss anything - nope.

This included 4 bottles of wine, 2 glass wine glasses, a small coffee maker with coffee, creamers the little liquid ones, Truvia, a supply of paper plates, salt, pepper, real silverware, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, 2 umbrellas, a twin size flat sheet, a 4" fan, extension cord, electrical adapters all of my own shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc..., a sport coat & zippered sweater for DH (think layers), 3 prs of shoes for me (white dressy sneakers, sandals black strappy kitten heel) and 2 for DH, (1 black walking 1 sandal) plus all of our clothes. We did laundry 3 times in a laundromat and I washed some things by hand at night.

I don't skimp on comfort things when I travel and I take only the clothes I know I am going to wear.

I use packing cubes for most things except pants - they go in the bottom. I have 3 long jersey knit dresses and 2 short ones that travel really well. I can wear them with heels for dressy or sneakers (not gym type but cute white ones) and short dressy socks or sandals for casual. The long dresses are nice as they are pretty warm in cooler weather. I am not a fan of pants and generally choose a dress unless it is really cold. I had 1 pr pants, 2 prs shorts, 4 shirts, 5 dresses, 1 sweater & all the base garments. I carry a good supply of costume jewelry to dress things up.

DH had 4 prs of pants, 2 prs shorts & 8 shirts.

Plus swimwear - we spent 2 weeks in FL at the end of trip.

It just takes some practice - we haven't checked a bag in almost 15 years. I have everything in travel sizes - my poor 3-1-1 bags are stuffed to capacity!

1354920455_Carryon.jpg.fd47e0681822c3bd6c7c9347f9642f47.jpg

Never had a problem with anything at any security point.

Traveling with carry-on only is the ONLY way we travel!

Try it - you'll like it!

My record: 2 months of travel in 1 carry-on each, DH had a back pack & I had a big-a@@ purse!

We did 7 nights by car, 11 night TA cruise, 30 days in Europe by train, 1 week at Disney and 5 night by car home. Did I miss anything - nope.

This included 4 bottles of wine, 2 glass wine glasses, a small coffee maker with coffee, creamers the little liquid ones, Truvia, a supply of paper plates, salt, pepper, real silverware, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, 2 umbrellas, a twin size flat sheet, a 4" fan, extension cord, electrical adapters all of my own shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc..., a sport coat & zippered sweater for DH (think layers), 3 prs of shoes for me (white dressy sneakers, sandals black strappy kitten heel) and 2 for DH, (1 black walking 1 sandal) plus all of our clothes. We did laundry 3 times in a laundromat and I washed some things by hand at night.

I don't skimp on comfort things when I travel and I take only the clothes I know I am going to wear.

I use packing cubes for most things except pants - they go in the bottom. I have 3 long jersey knit dresses and 2 short ones that travel really well. I can wear them with heels for dressy or sneakers (not gym type but cute white ones) and short dressy socks or sandals for casual. The long dresses are nice as they are pretty warm in cooler weather. I am not a fan of pants and generally choose a dress unless it is really cold. I had 1 pr pants, 2 prs shorts, 4 shirts, 5 dresses, 1 sweater & all the base garments. I carry a good supply of costume jewelry to dress things up.

DH had 4 prs of pants, 2 prs shorts & 8 shirts.

Plus swimwear - we spent 2 weeks in FL at the end of trip.

It just takes some practice - we haven't checked a bag in almost 15 years. I have everything in travel sizes - my poor 3-1-1 bags are stuffed to capacity!

[ATTACH]381407[/ATTACH]

Never had a problem with anything at any security point.

Traveling with carry-on only is the ONLY way we travel!

Try it - you'll like it!

Very Impressive. I agree with your DH choice of clothes. Tom

CapeCodCruiser, you are my packing guru! 🙂

I learned a long time ago that no one but really cares what I am wearing. We got over formal photos too. I can multipurpose most things and the right accessories can make all the difference.

One bag.com is a great resource. I have used Redd Ox Airboss for almost 10 years for business and vacation travel. Still almost looks like new. I used the Airboss for our 2011 Italy 12 day trip and 2013 Italy two week land vacation in Naples Amalfi, Sorrento and Rome. Works great if you follow the ideas of the previous posts and onebag.com. The bundle wrap packing method works!

For cruises I have checked a bag, because I do tend to take more gadgets with me, but I still pack as light as possible.

Edited by Tommy3putts

We have one bag that is nothing but toiletries alone. Then there is my carry on, my BIG suitcase, hanging bag, Frank's carry on and his BIG suitcase. Nope, it would never work for us. Heck, my hair dryer. hot rollers and various hair brushes take up most of the space in the bag with our toiletries :eek:

I say kudos to those who can pack light as we have never been able to accomplish that:D

For me, it would probably be 10 -

Water shoes

Flip flops - X 2

Walking shoes X 2

Shoes to match 1 formal

Shoes to match the other

less "glitzy" shoes for "smart casual" nights

Cute sandals

More cute sandals

And, in the end, I would probably wear 4 of the 10 pairs.

LOL! I'm with you. I could never make it with just a carry-on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Such great ideas here! It's my goal to do our Venice/Adriatic trip (9 days) with only a carry-on and a big handbag. :)

I plan on buying shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothpaste, sunscreen at the supermarket after we land in Venice. I'm not picky about brands.

Medication and minimal make-up in the handbag (empty bag for souvenirs in there as well) - clothes rolled, bundled, squeezed, and/or spacebagged into a 19" carry-on. Wear sneakers, jeans, a couple of t-shirts, light jacket on the flight. Bring capris, lightweight tops, bathing suit & wrap, lightweight dresses, sandals, flip flops, and a few dressy scarves to change the look of the 2 dresses I'll be alternating wearing for dinner.

Great thread ! Lots of good tips especially from PNW Traveler . I would like to go carry on but have 4 issues

1) DW

2) Snorkeling equipment . Don't wish to rent and it really takes up space

3) Travelling from the north, it's difficult to deal with outwear, winter boots plus dinner jacket .

4) DW

Issues 2 & 3 are workable but not the other issues . :D

In my family, there would be those who would take at least a dozen pairs of shoes for an 8-day cruise.

Sounds like we live in the same family. I must admit though I have many shoes for many different things I wear. Dress and casual wingtips, regular sneakers and dress sneakers, monks for jeans and loafers ect...ect..

My wife is 3 times as bad as I am though.

That being said we will each have a carry on (Back Pack) as well as a suitcase.

We fly stand-by, as my wife is a pilot, so we rarely, if ever, check bags. We each took a rolling carryon and a smaller bag that fit on top for our Western Caribbean cruise in February and wanted for nothing. We packed carefully and made notes afterwards for our 2017 cruise (leave one dress behind, take two extra t-shirts), but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app