Carry-on only!

DancingGypsy

The "plus size traveler" issue is a canard. I used to be obese - I was a size 20. I still was able to capably pack in a carryon.

I am one of the carryon folks who abhor the people who feel the need to bring a 24" roller onboard with a 19" as their "personal item". As for waiting at the jetway for my bag - sorry you waited so long. In all my travels, I don't think I've waited longer than what it took for the entire plane to debark. If I have checked my bag and have to collect at baggage claim, I leisurely stroll down the hallways, stop at the ladies room, perhaps grab a bottle of water, and then make my way to baggage claim. It doesn't feel like that long of a wait by that point - why rush when you don't have to ;)

The first time your bag doesn't come off the carousel and you either (1) panic, or (2) realize that you can go on with your vacation because you carried-on all you really need -- is a life-changing moment.

So true! We were on our first trip to Europe, landed at Orly in Paris and found 4 of 5:eek: bags. There was no one around to ask and our French was limited. After a while my husband went into a back room and there on a cart was our last bag. WE learned to pack lighter on that trip - lugging 5 bags around Europe was crazy - we ended up storing 2 of them in a train station!

Next trip to the UK - 2 out of 3 bags made it to Edinburgh. They did find the third and deliver it to us the next day but that was when I decided we had used all of our grace and the next bag would NEVER be found! We have done carry on only ever since.

Grandma...we certainly do not flaunt the rules. Our carry on rollers are slightly less in dimensions than the normal regulation for carry on and invariably under weight. DW has a small travel purse. I have a backpack with an iPod, a book, my glasses, and sometimes a sweater.

As for delays in deplaning our experience is that we wait much longer for the growing number of obese people who appear to have problems getting out of their respective seats and walking down the aisle than we do for those with carry on.

Edited by iancal

I'm a believer! The bundle method works! As for the earlier post critical of the carry-on movement, the poster is right. I'm a fan of one bag travel thanks to the Airlines 1) no checked bag fee; 2) no lost luggage 3) ease of flying standby 4) I'm off the plane and out of the airport in s flash.

My husband and I joined the "carry-on only" club after the trip when we had a two hour layover in Toronto shortened to a 40 minute layover due to a late flight.

We were still in that line-up when the time came and went for our connecting flight to Miami. Fortunately, that flight was delayed by an hour, so we got to the gate in time....but only by about 10 minutes. If the flight had left on time, we would have missed it.

Darn Toronto ! More or less the same scenario happened to us - twice! Years ago we flew to Vegas with a Toronto stop . There were delays and we were told you can wait for your bags or go to Vegas but you can't do both . We chose Vegas . It took Air Canada 3 days to get us our luggage. Darn AC !

Although we haven't always traveled carry-on only since , we have learned the lesson that all essentials must go in the carry-ons .

The other lesson from a different trip involves having one bag (mine) being misplaced . The lesson here was cross packing in each others bags . It was also a further nudge toward not taking check on luggage . Won't even mention luggage fees .

I realize that this desire for carry-on is airplane based and really doesn't have that much to do with cruising . So if and when we drive to a cruise , we will probably do check on but will still do self embark .

Grandma...we certainly do not flaunt the rules. Our carry on rollers are slightly less in dimensions than the normal regulation for carry on and invariably under weight. DW has a small travel purse. I have a backpack with an iPod, a book, my glasses, and sometimes a sweater.

As for delays in deplaning our experience is that we wait much longer for the growing number of obese people who appear to have problems getting out of their respective seats and walking down the aisle than we do for those with carry on.

Sorry, but I still feel you are in the minority. Still think too many people break the rules, and again, blame the airline. So many passengers have two huge bags.

I never mentioned delays in deplaning. I referred to small regional airports. Often gate checked bags are unloaded by gate agents or carousel baggage handlers who also do other duties. Definitely not unusual to wait for bags, often 15-20 minutes on a regular basis.

As far as how quickly someone gets out of their seat, I personally don't have a problem, but I try to show a little compassion for people who do, regardless of their weight. Sometimes being cramped in a seat for several hours is very hard for passengers with arthritis problems, etc. I find those with just a carryon are the ones trying to rush off the plane and on their way.

I find those with just a carryon are the ones trying to rush off the plane and on their way.

First, I'm curious how you know the ones 'rushing' off the plane with just a carry-on do not also have checked luggage? Seems to me that folks with mounds of baggage check some and bring some on board.

Second, I'm not sure when the last time is that I saw anyone 'rush' off the plane. People get up from every row and immediately block the aisles, getting their stuff down or not. Even when flight attendants have asked folks to keep the aisles clear for a few unfortunates who have extremely close connections to make, that rarely happens.

My experience is I'd rather have 10 obese people getting off rather then 1 toddler with parents or a self indulgent passenger on their phone ignoring all around them .

First, I'm curious how you know the ones 'rushing' off the plane with just a carry-on do not also have checked luggage? Seems to me that folks with mounds of baggage check some and bring some on board.

Second, I'm not sure when the last time is that I saw anyone 'rush' off the plane. People get up from every row and immediately block the aisles, getting their stuff down or not. Even when flight attendants have asked folks to keep the aisles clear for a few unfortunates who have extremely close connections to make, that rarely happens.

Actually I was trying to respond to Lancal's comments regarding how he/she just has a small carryon and is delayed by obese or slow people deplaning.

I agree about the order, and I am rarely seated very far back which helps; however I do think we could all slow down. Have had my share of "bumps from bags" as people dash up the jet ramp. Of course, many people may have tight connections, been there, done that, but a lot of people do not. They are just not considerate or patient - airline travel has become a real "cattle cart." I just think passengers in general have changed. Rant finished!

They are just not considerate or patient - airline travel has become a real "cattle cart." I just think passengers in general have changed. Rant finished!

I suspect much of what you don't like isn't due to people so much as the fact that there is much less space per person onboard planes now. It is difficult not to bump or jostle someone when the aisles are so narrow that you practically have to walk sideways, and the seats are likewise so narrow that you can't lean in to avoid a passing shoulder without finding yourself on the lap of your neighbor.

I suspect much of what you don't like isn't due to people so much as the fact that there is much less space per person onboard planes now. It is difficult not to bump or jostle someone when the aisles are so narrow that you practically have to walk sideways, and the seats are likewise so narrow that you can't lean in to avoid a passing shoulder without finding yourself on the lap of your neighbor.

Well said. ;)

For me packing carry on only is more about the freedom it provides than anything else. It doesn't matter if we fly, drive, train or cruise - carry on it is. Freedom :

from worry whether my bags will arrive when I do - or at all

of being able to change plans at a moments notice

of having everything with me if my flight gets delayed or cancelled

of not having to find a porter or luggage cart

of lugging a bunch of big heavy suitcases around

It works for some and not for some

We do carry on for the same reason as capecodcruiser. This trip we have done 4 flights, a ferry, a train, and two busses. Three flights and two ferry rides to go before we get home.

So far we have only checked once...on a small turbo prop flight.

We cannot imagine lugging anything else but carry on.

Posted earlier in the thread and have continued to read.

One comment, many of the travelers who boast about traveling with a carryon, large purse, backpack, etc. are often the people flaunting airline rules. It is getting annoying to have so many people bringing so much on board - so many carryon bags are bigger than airline regulations, and backpacks look like they have a week's worth of camping gear.

I really don't blame the traveler, the airlines are at fault. Many of us just don't overstuff carryon bags, but so many do.

Also, as I posted earlier, standard carryon bags are gate checked on many of the smaller commuter jets. Admittedly you don't have to go to the carousel, but still have to wait for ramp delivery. Might as well pack a regular bag ...... Have waited 20 minutes for a gate checked bag ....... Some of us don't have a choice on the type of flight available.

Finally, the size of the person makes a difference! Plus size travelers, big feet, medical needs, etc. can all make a carryon impossible!

Oh I couldn't agree more! We do carry on only, and bring a backpack each. Our backpack is our personal item and that goes under the seat! I hate seeing people put small bags that can fit under the seat in the overheads. I've even seen people put small shopping bags up there! If you do that, I'm going to smash it in the back with my airline allowed carry one roller. I love it when I see the flight attendants go through the overheads and take the small bags out.

I do it all the time utilizing a backpack as my personal carry on item. Dress shoes and sandals in my backpack including toiletries. Everything else including my suit in my rollaboard carryon suitcase. It's also great for easy walk off disembarkation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Oh I couldn't agree more! We do carry on only, and bring a backpack each. Our backpack is our personal item and that goes under the seat! I hate seeing people put small bags that can fit under the seat in the overheads. I've even seen people put small shopping bags up there! If you do that, I'm going to smash it in the back with my airline allowed carry one roller. I love it when I see the flight attendants go through the overheads and take the small bags out.

This guy packs way too much and still got it in the Air boss. This is usually my one and only carry one and it is smaller than the size limits. Dimensions for a carry-on so I don't apologize to anyone for wanting to take it on a plane. This thing even fits in the overhead of the embraer regional jets.

Wow.

Consider someone like me who usually only brings on a purse (under my seat) and a small tote. Sometimes if I don't bring a small tote and I went shopping on my trip, I will bring the bag and put it above.

Are you saying I can't put one of those bags above without risk of some self-deputized vigilante smashing the crap out of it?

Wow.

Consider someone like me who usually only brings on a purse (under my seat) and a small tote. Sometimes if I don't bring a small tote and I went shopping on my trip, I will bring the bag and put it above.

Are you saying I can't put one of those bags above without risk of some self-deputized vigilante smashing the crap out of it?

Please don't include me in the "vigilante" group - on this particular thread I have not had a lot of agreement with my comments about carryons. However, I fly a lot and find that more and more flight attendants are announcing how full a flight is and to save overhead room for full-size carryons, and requesting small packages, coats, totes, purses, be stowed under the seat. If you put such an item in an overhead, you run the risk of it being smashed/squished. That whole concept is in line with what I have been trying to say about how much some people bring on ...... Standard carryon (often too big or overstuffed) plus a tote/backpack and purse and computer bag. Seriously, there just isn't enough room!

It is really quite simple. The ticket agents and the gate agents need to enforce their own rules. Our carry on is always regulation or less. We do see others with scads of bags.

About the only time we have seen this enforced was on. Lufthansa Venice-FRA flight. Couple of disappointed people who believed the shopkeepers when he told them they were allowed to bring three large shopping bags on the plane because it was fragile glassware.

These naive passengers actually thought that they could get six large bags (three each) in addition to their actual carry on bags all the way back to some place in the U.S. They were told that they would have to pay $75 extra for each bag and no guarantee that they would not be damaged. We left as the discussion was becoming very heated. They did not get on our plane but perhaps they were on another Lufthansa flight.