Carry-on only!

DancingGypsy

NO WAY !!! My Hair Dryer, Flat Iron, Curling Iron , Shampoo, Root Boost, Combs/Brushes & Make-up take up almost all my Carry-On!! I have to have clothes & shoes too!!! :D

OMG - so funny! I am so low maintenance - no make-up - just lipstick - one of the most freeing things I have done for myself.

When I get my hair cut I tell my gal - cut it so it looks good without being combed - I love the just rolled out of bed look!

I do insist on traveling with my brands of shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc.

I can get out of bed, shower, dress and be out the door in less than 30 minutes!

We will be cruising with friends on a 7 day Caribbean and I seriously played around with a Calendar and actually planed each night and colored slacks & tops to be worn each night, alternating. I settled with 1 pair of black slacks and 3 additional slacks plus tops that I could wear with each. 2 pair of evening sandals, 1 pair of tennies, etc all to go in my carry On. Now the longer cruise a month later will basically take the same clothes for the 15 days maybe add another pair of slacks.

We are in week six of an eight week land trip in SE Asia. We do carry on only.

So far, so good. Cruises are the same for us, often last minute as part of our land travels.

We switched over to carry on Several years ago. Now we cannot imagine travelling any other way.

OMG - so funny! I am so low maintenance - no make-up - just lipstick - one of the most freeing things I have done for myself.

When I get my hair cut I tell my gal - cut it so it looks good without being combed - I love the just rolled out of bed look!

I do insist on traveling with my brands of shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc.

I can get out of bed, shower, dress and be out the door in less than 30 minutes!

You sound like me. I'm low-maintenance, too. Eyeliner, my Blinc mascara (for dressing up night), and an Urban Decay lip product. My hair is long and naturally curly (I have to wear it pulled back at work) and I give it a "product and process" vacation when I travel. I'll use whatever shampoo and conditioner are available and I only bring a little serum or coconut oil to put in it. Then I let it do what it wants to do. Like you, I can get out of bed, shower, dress and be in my car in less than 30 minutes. Learned that when I lived across the street from my high school - I slept in the absolute maximum I could and still make it before the bell!

I'm a carryon traveler, too. I'm over 60, but I still travel solo and expect myself to be able to handle my own luggage. Current is some Osprey rolling convertible backpacks. I never feel like I've been without anything in years of traveling, from a quick weekend to a 21-day trip through Europe. Now, when I fly, I still pack a carryon, but sometimes I still "check" it because I don't the hassle of dealing with inexperienced flyers who bring their life's belongings with them. I have no problem dropping my bag off in the jetway and having it "pink tagged" (Delta's plan side drop off program).

My hardest thing is when I'm traveling someplace that has a size/weight restriction for the flights. I've had a 19lb TOTAL for a internal flight in Kenya that was part of a 12 day trip, so I had to pack to that. I've got another one coming up in 2 weeks that has 2 flights that have a restriction of 22x19x14 size and maximum 30 lbs. Shouldn't be too bad - I've done a 3 week business trip that was at 34 lbs (that was with suits, off work clothes, AND my Dansko clogs for work)...

I like my hands free when traveling. For a 7 night cruise which for us is always 2 weeks as we always spend a few days pre and post cruise we will use 3 checked bags, wife will have a carry on and I will have a backpack. We are on vacation so we don't skimp on what we need. We do enjoy dressing up for dinner even for restaurants before and after the cruise.

We use porters, bellboys etc where ever available.

Funny ... We are on vacation and that's why we don't check any bags. We find that we can pack enough clothes for all situations, needed meds, meds we may or may not need, plenty of makeup, and even 16 bottles of soda in bags we can carry on! It is freeing!

I could never just take a carry on. I enjoy a different outfit every night and enjoy different shoes to match each outfit, etc.. I take all my shampoo, bar soap, blow dryer, etc.. that stuff alone takes up a big portion of my suitcase.

I guess each person has their own way they enjoy a vacation. To me it is having everything I need and choices on clothes. I am on vacation and I want to look nice, I don't care if it takes a few extra minutes at the end of the cruise to find my luggage. It is worth it.

We are on vacation and we want to look nice too. And we do! (Without checking bags!). 😎

With our family it is carry on only. We are going on a 12 day Baltics in June. and we each only take a carry on. I don't have enough nice clothes for a different outfit every day so will have to have them do my laundry for me. I watched a video and the lady said to use the 2-2-6 rule, two shoes, two pants, six tops. I can do that. I'll have to buy another pair of jeans though as I only have one pair of denim jeans.

I am not big on makeup so I just use the basics in toiletries.

A lot of stuff makes me feel crowded where it makes other comfortable I think.

I do chuckle when people say they must pack heavy because they want to "look nice." What are those of us who carry on??? I am always nicely and appropriately attired, even when I am using a carryon.

Perhaps it is that the destinations are what I travel for. I see the sights just as well in my clothes from The North Face, Prana, Athleta, and minimal makeup as someone who has the sundress, strappy sandals, full makeup and perfectly coiffed (thanks to the hair dryer, flatiron, 4 types of product) hair. And, I get to sleep in later and still get off the ship earlier ;)

I do chuckle when people say they must pack heavy because they want to "look nice." What are those of us who carry on??? I am always nicely and appropriately attired, even when I am using a carryon.

Perhaps it is that the destinations are what I travel for. I see the sights just as well in my clothes from The North Face, Prana, Athleta, and minimal makeup as someone who has the sundress, strappy sandals, full makeup and perfectly coiffed (thanks to the hair dryer, flatiron, 4 types of product) hair. And, I get to sleep in later and still get off the ship earlier ;)

We try to pack 'light' but I have never (at least not yet) mastered the art of using only carry-on for trips 7 or more days. I never know what I will want to wear and like choices.

I am surely people that do carry on luggage only look perfectly nice and are appropriated dressed, I just have not managed the skill set that they have of packing that light.

Neither way is right or wrong....it just fits different people. On our first cruise, we travelled with a friend who had an entire suitcase of shoes. Not the way I travel, but to each their own.

Can you make it with just a carry-on for a 8 day cruise?

We (DH&I) did 26-day transatlantic+16 mediterranean ports with Carry On Only, but I did wash "smalls" in the sink... For our upcoming Alaska 7-8 day I shouldn't even have to do that.

The first time your bag doesn't come off the carousel and you either (1) panic, or (2) realize that you can go on with your vacation because you carried-on all you really need -- is a life-changing moment.

Agreed. People confuse need and want. You want more. You need your stuff to actually make it on the trip. It is an inconvenience when you bags are late getting home. It is a trip wrecker if you bags are late getting to your vacation. Ya', we know. It has never happened to you. It only takes once.

Posted earlier in the thread and have continued to read.

One comment, many of the travelers who boast about traveling with a carryon, large purse, backpack, etc. are often the people flaunting airline rules. It is getting annoying to have so many people bringing so much on board - so many carryon bags are bigger than airline regulations, and backpacks look like they have a week's worth of camping gear.

I really don't blame the traveler, the airlines are at fault. Many of us just don't overstuff carryon bags, but so many do.

Also, as I posted earlier, standard carryon bags are gate checked on many of the smaller commuter jets. Admittedly you don't have to go to the carousel, but still have to wait for ramp delivery. Might as well pack a regular bag ...... Have waited 20 minutes for a gate checked bag ....... Some of us don't have a choice on the type of flight available.

Finally, the size of the person makes a difference! Plus size travelers, big feet, medical needs, etc. can all make a carryon impossible!

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

I did for my last cruise and hope to do so again. We don't dress up nearly as much as we used to, so it's not difficult to pack light. I will bring a simple black dress and wear it for both elegant nights with different wraps and jewelry, an maybe a couple of sundresses. Other than that, it will just be several pairs of shorts/skirts/ skirts that mix and match with different tops. Bathing suits' underwear, and accessories don't take up much space. I have streamlined my toiletries and have travel size bottles of everything (except sunscreen -big bottle of that)

My husband and I joined the "carry-on only" club after the trip when we had a two hour layover in Toronto shortened to a 40 minute layover due to a late flight.

We had to exit our first plane, hike through the airport to baggage claim, wait for the carousel to finally begin sending out luggage, wait what seemed forever for our two suitcases to appear, hike again through the airport to where we could check our bags again for our international flight, then wait through customs and security.

We were still in that line-up when the time came and went for our connecting flight to Miami. Fortunately, that flight was delayed by an hour, so we got to the gate in time....but only by about 10 minutes. If the flight had left on time, we would have missed it.

I know that the wait for luggage might not be long, but any wait time we can eliminate makes the layover better, in my opinion.

We have also had luggage lost after a flight. Luckily, it was on our way home, so no big deal. But we only got the bags back two days later. If we had been boarding a cruise, that would have been awful.