Carry-on only!

DancingGypsy

Can you make it with just a carry-on for a 8 day cruise?

I use a medium sized 4-roller suitcase (fits through the scanners)

and a good sized backpack.

Easy to do for Caribbean cruises..lightweight nylon shirts, wrinkle free

(by Columbia), no formal wear (got all the pics already), nylon mesh

walking/running shoes (3 or 4 pair to alternate), 3 docker style pants,

1 dress type pants (easily meets smart casual dress with the collared shirt).

Backpack is loaded with usual toiletries and cameras and electronics...all in

several gallon sized zip-lock bags. Don't forget battery chargers, iPad charger,

etc.

I always keep passport, Set Sail Pass, and credit card in shirt pocket....these

are the 3 things you must have to check in. You need to show the passport

and Set Sail Pass at the Security stop points.

:D

Oh, this is for getting on the ship...I don't need to fly, but this

works great for us locals who use the early Express Debark ..

where you must carry all your own stuff. Very safe since you always have

one hand free.

Edited by Rocket3D

I could absolutely do it and for a week on Disney did our family of 3 in 2 carry ons. Couldn't do it for RCI though since there's no public laundry. I didn't even try on our recent week and still ended up washing things in my sink and drying them on the balcony. Not how I want to spend my vacation! (Some don't want to do laundry on their vacation at all, but 5 minutes to do a load never bothered me and I far prefer it to bringing more luggage).

Piece of cake. We always travel with just carry ons. It is just a matter of what you value more. Checked bags get lost. Look up the airline stats on that. It will shock you. I know my carry ons will make it to the destination. Spending a vacation without your luggage is not fun. Better planning removes such possibilities. Each must decide. If that 5th pair of shoes is so necessary to risk not having any luggage, by all means, roll the dice. Some have no choice (as with the cpap example).

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

Another overpacker joins the list! I know I can do it with a carry-on, but for me a cruise it's something very special, so I bring my best clothes and shoes and it usually forces me to check a large bag.

NO WAY! My problem us that I always say - this top can go with this pair of pants for night and then with shorts the next day. And that is always the top that I drop something on at dinner!! So now, one pair of shorts and one top for each day and one pair of pants and top for each night - plus a few extra shorts, tops and pants. YUP, I overpack!!!!!!!

Edited by Luv my furbaby

I wouldn't even attempt to do just a carry on. I do have a 18 night trip coming up, which includes a 10 night European cruise, and I'm trying to only take one rolling suitcase. I'd like to have one checked bag and then a big duffle bag for my carry on. Luckily, my checked bag is free. As others have said, I like variety in my outfits. I plan my outfits for each day but have a plan B in case I don't feel like wearing the original selection.

Edited by Virtopia

My CPAP takes up half of my carry on. I squeeze a nightgown, undies, and slippers in the half and then cram in tooth brush and toiletries. Where would I put shoes and clothing? Oh yeah, and a bottle of wine!

If flying is part of your trip, your CPAP is considered a medical device, and won't be counted as a separate carry-on by the airline. I pack much of what you listed above in my CPAP bag, and have never been questioned. I have a roller carry-on for everything else, and my CPAP bag rides very easily on top of it through the airport, and cruise port, et al.

I have been fortunate (so far) that JetBlue has had one direct flight a day from home (Richmond, VA) to FLL (and back). If the plane is too small to put the carry-on in an overhead bin, I gate check it. That way I can retrieve it on the tarmac or jetway, and not have to go to the baggage carousels. Not much danger of it getting lost. This setup also allows me to disembark early at the end of the cruise, and get to the airport in time to make the flight home.

I admire all the young, strong people who can easily handle their own carry ons. But we are older and plan our trips so we can use porters and have good wheeled luggage. One of my pet peeves is people who want to self-debarke, but cannot really handle their luggage in the "luggage warehouse ", going through customs, down stairs, etc. It can be dangerous. I saw a little old lady, looked to be all of 90 pounds trying to keep up with her family hauling a huge suitcase that weighed almost as much as she did. It was pitiful and downright dangerous watching her go down the stairs. Strangers were trying to help her, including my husband. Please folks, if you carry on, be able to really handle it yourselves. ........Margee

I agree that each person should be able to handle their own carry-ons. As for the "little old lady", anywhere in a cruise port or airport that there are stairs or escalators, there will also be an elevator. I'm 76 with bad back and knees, and I've never had any trouble finding a way to avoid the stairs. (And shame on her family for not looking out for her.)

I travelled for a few weeks with just a carry-on. Everything was rolled tight as a knot!!!

When I got back to the US, the Customs officer didn't believe I travelled all that time with just one carry-on...they proceeded to un-roll and shake everything out until everything was in a huge pile on the table. My blood was boiling!

Then he said "OK...pack it up."

I yelled "YOU pack it up!!!"

:mad:

I do not advise anyone to yell at Customs. Not a good idea !

That being said...do a search for scottevest. I have found mine very useful.

Thanks for the tip:)

When I worked as a engineer for the Navy, I took a week's trip to Japan and the Philippines with just a carry-on. It's all about deciding what you need vs. what you want to take along, and then packing efficiently.

My DW, on the other hand, does not know the meaning of the phrase "pack lightly", and would never survive.....:cool:

Edited by IndyKid

I travelled for a few weeks with just a carry-on. Everything was rolled tight as a knot!!!

When I got back to the US, the Customs officer didn't believe I travelled all that time with just one carry-on...they proceeded to un-roll and shake everything out until everything was in a huge pile on the table. My blood was boiling!

Then he said "OK...pack it up."

I yelled "YOU pack it up!!!"

:mad:

I do not advise anyone to yell at Customs.

That being said...do a search for scottevest. I have found mine very useful.

Yep, those customs & TSA folks can be real pr***s.....

Edited by IndyKid

I wouldn't even attempt to do just a carry on. I do have a 18 night trip coming up, which includes a 10 night European cruise, and I'm trying to only take one rolling suitcase. I'd like to have one checked bag and then a big duffle bag for my carry on. Luckily, my checked bag is free. As others have said, I like variety in my outfits. I plan my outfits for each day but have a plan B in case I don't feel like wearing the original selection.

If your trip had more moving around Italy (and I remember your itinerary), I would try to talk you into at least being more mobile, if not carry on. We managed to get my elderly parents to do carry on only for their 2 week trip to France, Austria, and Italy. While it was a pain, they were able to rush through a few train stations to not miss connections. They had over head bin sized roller back packs.

I also do some laundry in sinks. :D Being that we travel just as two- there are normally 4 people's worth of towels- which is key to doing laundry.

(you have a great trip planned... )

Good Morning,

Yes, I fit everything I needed in a carry on by rolling my clothes like they show you on some of the u tube videos.... (took 5 dresses, 4 pair of shorts/capris, 4 shirts, 9 days worth of underwear, 1 pair of shoes in carry on and personal care items) it works and frees up a lot of space - My husband had his own carry on with almost the same number of clothing and ended up not wearing everything he brought on the cruise neither did I for that matter. We opted not to do formal night but formal clothes were rolled in the carry ons as well.

At the end of cruise, dirty clothes go back in the same way they came out.

The first cruise, I couldn't understand why so many people showed up with so much luggage 3 and 4 suitcases being handed off to the porters plus their carry ons; to me that was just too much to unpack and collect at the end of the cruise.

For a couple of years now, we've gotten spoiled by the simplicity of carry-on packing for cruises. Shoes are the biggest challenge, but I can wear flats and pack dressy, 2 flip flops (one dressier) and 1 thin running shoes. I mostly wear black pants or skirt for evening and take many tops which pack thin. I do have a hefty jewelry pack in my large purse. DH packs a black suit and several dress shirts plus a smattering of T's, Aloha, a sweater or two. The part we absolutely love is unpacking immediately and repacking quickly.

I can - but it doesn't work. My wife always says, "she has more room to pack more because I packed less!" Ha Ha

I have worn suit or sport coat on plane, then have it pressed when I get on ship. A man really has more flexibility if he rents tux.

I have done this both ways.

Yes you can. I wear 3 pairs of underwear, my bathing suit, pair of shorts, and a pair of jean over it. It cuts down on what I pack. I also wear, 3 t-shirts, and a polo shirt, with a dress shirt over. I cover up with a hoodie, so that no one notices. Since I am wearing half my clothes, the half I pack. For the record, you can wear swimming boat shoes, and sneakers over them.

For a short cruise, I can just have a backpack with my toiltries in it. :D

This past summer I was on the Radiance Southbound for a running cruise. The total trip was 10 days between getting there and back home. I not only had to have my clothes and shoes for dinner and non-running times, I needed my running stuff.

Carry-on only accomplished!! :)

Not sure I'll make it for my Italy cruise - that's almost 2 weeks. Plus I kind of like the idea of checking a bag with a folded up bag in it that I can use for souvenirs as a carry-on on the way home. (Since I'm splurging on Business Class to Barcelona and back there is no luggage fee.)

I've been all over the world with carry-on only. The length of the trip does not matter. What does matter is packing a wardrobe of color coordinated layers and being prepared to do laundry. For cruises the downside is that you can't smuggle booze without checked baggage. (Don't bother flaming. I don't care.)

OK - here are the boring details of how we do carry-on only when we cruise:

I'll post for both tropical/warm weather cruising and cold weather/winter cruising.

Warm weather cruising is easier, of course. I have favorite brands for lightweight travel clothing - Ex Officio and Columbia. Columbia is pretty much casual, but Ex Officio offers items that can be somewhat dressy. I supplement my tops with finds from TJ Maxx, etc. I coordinate with black and one or two colors. For all cruising, I consider the weight and fabric type. Ex Officio's synthetic fiber clothing is comfortable even when it's hot and humid. Generally I wear day clothes that can be worked into "smart casual" for evenings so I don't need two changes of clothes each day. We don't pack dedicated formal clothes, but do manage to wear dressier clothes that will fit in for "formal night." When I started out with the carry-on only idea I used a fishing scale (salmon scale for the Pacific NW!) and diligently weighed my bag with various options. It has gotten easier with experience. For some quantity ideas - for a one week cruise I would pack three pairs of lighter weight capris that can be dressed up or down, four tops, two dressier tops, one very lightweight skirt that can be dressy, two pairs of sandals (casual and nicer strappy), a swimsuit, a filmy swimsuit cover-up, a sunhat. I am a "shoe person" and any shoes I pack must be capable of a lot of walking and possible inclement weather. My DH usually packs only a pair of lightweight black loafers because his size 13 shoes take up a lot of luggage space. He usually packs travel pants, shorts, and shirts, and one pair of lightweight dress slacks and a traditional button front shirt. On European cruises (which tend to be dressier) he will either pack or wear a microfiber navy blazer (extremely lightweight and machine washable.) We do not bring cotton tees, sweatshirts, or tank tops. They just are not as versatile and cotton weighs a lot compared to other choices.

We adhere to the 3 oz. liquids rule and carefully manage the little bottles! I've even used a rather good brand of tooth powder on long trips just to give me a little more room for other liquids. I am always looking for solids or wipes in lieu of gels and liquids.

Our suitcases empty weigh under 6.5 lb. each. They have two wheels. The spinner designs with four wheels have less vertical inches available for luggage space. DH's second bag is a smaller backpack (for camera gear.) I have an expandable Eagle Creek shoulder bag that is designed to fit securely over a suitcase handle. I can fit a lot of stuff in it and it still fits under the seat.

Winter travel packing is more challenging. I will usually wear black jeans on the plane for warmth. We layer jackets - a quality hooded raincoat or jacket, and primaloft vest or jacket under the raincoat. Knitted silk or cashmere scarves are good and tend to be lighter weight and less bulky. I will pack travel knit cardigans and coordinating tops that can be layered and interchanged. I have a favorite silk pullover and another that is very lightweight merino wool. For socks, either old ones that can be discarded, or synthetic that are easily washed out in the sink. I wear lace up charcoal or black shoes (currently Asolo) on the plane and pack a pair of somewhat dressy black mary jane style shoes in my luggage. DH does the same 1 pr packed in the bag. For a one week cruise we probably wouldn't need to do any washing out of clothing in the sink. Longer cruises do mean either a few sink washes.

I have fun with clothes, even travel clothes. I like a challenge, in this case, a packing challenge. We always look nice. We have fun. Best of all, there's an amazing sense of freedom that comes with having less, rather than more, luggage.

So, to those of you who have waded through this very long and wordy post - I hope I did not bore you with too many details!

On my Honeymoon, I had to pay checked baggage over weight charges and they stuck a lime green sticker on my giant suitcase saying "Heavy". I vowed one day I would travel in a carry-on only.

Than reality came. I am a size 24. In the space where I roll up my Yoga pants, some one of a smaller size could fit 2 pairs of pants! My swimsuit takes the space of 4 bikini's and a cover up.

I simply can't get a weeks worth of cloths to fit in a carry on. No matter if I am willing to re-wear cloths and go without.

So I do my best. 3 pairs of shoes, limited tops and bottoms, I make sure all my toiletries are miniature and I get close, but never yet made it.

**For those worried about fitting toiletries into the 3oz limit, may I recommend shampoo bars. It's a solid bar like a bar of soap but it's for hair. I won't go back to liquid shampoo. I haven't tried the solid bar conditioner yet, so I can't say how that works, but I'm sold on the shampoo!**

For my past 1 week cruise I did manage to fit all of my stuff and all of my 3 year olds stuff into my large suitcase. (All except her diapers!!) So I think at the least I should be winning a packing award for that!

Packing threads are always entertaining, as well as educational! Now I know why I always see so many people "dressed up" to travel. It's not the 1950's. You're wearing the suits and heels to save luggage space. I get it now!

After reading through this thread, I agree that carry-on cruising CAN be done, and I admire those of you who pull it off. I've never considered myself an over-packer, but I just can't seem to get the essentials down to a carry-on. For some reason, a cruise just seems to NEED extra stuff. And I'm not talking about all the excess junk that newbies are told to take. I fell for that advice on our first cruise. My gosh, we looked like Mrs. Howell getting off the Minnow with all those suitcases of junk we never touched. Never again. My theory is if you don't need it at home in an average week, why do you need it on vacation?

That being said, the nature of a cruise means multiple changes of clothes. I do minimize through mix and match. I plan days and re-wears. I admit guilt on packing t-shirts when I know I'm going to buy some along the way. But those aren't the space hog.

Cruise packing just seems to need more stuff. Now I have to think about beach gear, camera gear, water gear, the flat duffel for coming home, etc. And the one that always get me - Shoes! I don't consider myself a "shoe person." One pair worn until there are holes in the soles is fine by me. But you go on a cruise and you need your regular daily sneakers (worn traveling), sandals because it's hot, water shoes for the beach or pool, and decent shoes for dinner. Suddenly I feel like I have a shoe fetish having to pack 4 pairs! :eek:

I roll and compact into every space possible, compress air out of ziplocks, and yet I still can't get the basics in the smaller wheeled suitcase. That's why I admire those of you who can, because I've tried. So I concede to one checked suitcase and one shoulder bag that's with me so valuables and paperwork are handy. All-in-all, that's not really too much luggage.

Coming home, I'll have that second duffel bag for souvenirs - sometimes checked, sometimes carried. There's no getting around that one to bring home so many memories of a great trip! Thanks for the entertaining thread.

In my family, there would be those who would take at least a dozen pairs of shoes for an 8-day cruise.

I have a friend fits that description quite well.....I did not know she was in your family. I believe that family is quite large.

For me it is 4 pair of shoes for whatever length -- sneakers, water shoes, two pairs of dress shoes (and one of those is a sandal type). Sometimes on short cruises of 3/4 days, the dress shoes don't come, just the sandal type shoe for evening.

Edited by Paulette3028

Yes! We do only carry-on. It takes careful packing and planning. Our record carry-on was a 17 day winter Med cruise plus 5 nights in London. A week long cruise is definitely manageable.

I can supply details, but would most likely bore most readers!

I would definitely not be bored to read the details. We would love to bring just carry one. Please supply and those who don't want to see it could just skip the entry.

Cheers, Elizabeth

I would definitely not be bored to read the details. We would love to bring just carry one. Please supply and those who don't want to see it could just skip the entry.

Cheers, Elizabeth

Hope the above post did enough to describe the details. I forgot to add that I use packing cubes - can get a lot into each cube. Also, I leave a little room for souvenirs and even brought home an Irish sweater last year!:)