Carry-on only!

DancingGypsy

@MagicMan

In 2015, Dr'spin and I did a spring TransAtlantic and Med all the way to Venice (15 ports!) for a total of 26 days. I have exhaustive packing lists for our carry-ons and daypacks, and I can (and should) look them over and produce a less exhaustive document more general to other people or other itineraries.

I did all necessary laundry in the sink, using WashEZ sheets pre-cut in 1/4s. Socks and undies are not bad, but in future will avail of the ship's laundry for larger and slower drying items. I don't trust the ship to wash things on cool and dry on delicate, so I would DRY-CLEAN (the cost is usually only nominally more and actually in line with land drycleaning) even washable items.

One suggestion, you mention already having carry-on luggage, -- weigh it empty! With airlines enforcing carry-on weight allowances more and more, a few pounds more in the suitcase is a few pounds of clothes you cannot take! eBags currently has the IT Luggage "Los Angeles" line's 3.5lb (1.6kg) carry-on on sale for $50! in three colors so you can get different color for self and travelling companion. I use zippy bags of all sizes (up to 3-gallon "Big Bags" you may have to order from Amazon), especially for cross-packing, which I still do because you never know when an airline may make you gatecheck even a "legal" carry-on.

Anyway, if you want my list(s) my addy is my CC name at that yodel sound period com. Put "Cruise Critic" as the subject.

We do. Since retirement we only travel with a carry on. For a week or for three months. Many reasons, including the ability to physically handle our luggage on various forms or transport. A cruise, 7, 14 or 20 days is almost always part of a much longer land trip for us. This is not for everyone but it works for us.

We leave this Friday on another 5 city 2 week land vacation to Sicily and the Amalfie coast. Half way through the trip we travel by train from Taormina to Salerno. A lot of moving around. In my carry on I'll be taking one pair of shorts, one convertible pant, two fishing shirts; two high tech tee shirts; one swim suit, three pair of travel briefs, two pair of socks, one pair of shoes, and one pair of flip flops. Bundle wrap packing and top off with my GoPro camera gear, travel adapters and cords, and travel sized toiletries. All fits nicely into my 9x20x13 carry on with room to spare.

Doing laundry every night is key so don't for get a travel clothes line. All clothes should be quick drying fabric.

Good luck.

I've been carry-on only traveling for over a decade, and truly think it is a major factor in my wanting to take advantage of land trips, extensions, and other ways to stretch my retirement travel to weeks at a time.

A tip for light packing newbies - before travel try washing each item you intend to use for travel in your sink at home. If it dries overnight and doesn't wrinkle, it makes the cut for vacation wear!

Another favorite item for me is black nurses scrub pants. https://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-Womens-Mid-Rise-Straight-Elastic/dp/B0116M2UH6/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1498309025&sr=8-14&keywords=scrub%2Bpants%2Belastic%2Bwaist%2Bfor%2Bwomen&th=1 Its really a lightweight, comfortable but heavy-duty workhorse clothing item. I've even worn them as slacks on formal night with a dressy, sparkly top in the old formal wear days when my velvet slacks were lost by the laundry. No one seemed to notice my scrubs.

I realize this forever damages the possibility of me being seen as a fashionista, but it sure makes packing and extended travel much easier!

Yes! We do only carry-on. It takes careful packing and planning. Our record carry-on was a 17 day winter Med cruise plus 5 nights in London. A week long cruise is definitely manageable.

I can supply details, but would most likely bore most readers!

I would love details pls!! :confused::D

I would love details pls!! :confused::D

I realize you requested of fairygirl, but if you would like my packing list p-email me (see email address in signature)

I've used same list for 3 to 5 week trips, both land-based and cruise with land extensions, including bus, train, and low cost European airlines carry-on limits.

Start with a 20 inch carry on. Don't start to pack with a 25 inch roller.

You will be surprised at how quickly you prioritize clothing, dress in layers, pack easy care fabrics, and forget about all the shoes and clothes that you only planned on wearing once or twice.

Leave the extension cords, door hangers, multiple rechargers, door/cabin decorations, etc at home along with most of the beauty supplies and the cat/dog. You do not really need them. When you return home and are unpacking, take note of the items that you seldom/never used and do not pack them again. Also note the type of clothing/shoes that you wore often so that you can perhaps add more of this type of apparel next time.

We also found in the past that the earlier we started to pack the more we waned to take. So I pack the night before or morning of departure. DW starts a day earlier. I have always packed my own bag...cannot imagine having DW do it for me.

Nothing wrong with taking lots of luggage if you are fine with carrying/managing it. We simply got to a point where we no longer wanted to do it and it detracted from the enjoyment of our travels.

Edited by iancal

In college, I spent six weeks in Europe with just a backpack that can fit under an airline seat. I still had multiple pairs of shoes and full makeup. It's kept me from overpacking ever since. We even stuck with a backpack each on our honeymoon. Europe is no place for roller bags, with the cobblestones.

Traveling with a child makes it more complicated, however. Especially until about age 4. Although now he can finally just have his own pack. We check a large suitcase instead, however, just because it's easier to be unencumbered while keeping him close, taking him to the restroom, etc. Boarding a plane with just a personal item now feels like a luxury. I love it.

We use a roller carry on in Europe but it is not one of those flimsy four wheel jobs. It has two larger wheels at the back...more like roller blade wheels. Never a problem on our multiple trips to Europe for months at a time. SE Asia is just as bad because the sidewalks in many places are cracked, heaved, and only partially repaired. Mostly in the southern areas-Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, and Malaysia. We have on Rick Steves and one Kirkland carry on. Had them both for a long time-lots of travel.

What we have seen is lots of broken luggage wheels-especially the ones with four wheels all exterior to the case. We were thinking of a replacement however the problem is that we absolutely do not want anything like that. All we care about is wheels, zippers, and weight. We plan to move to a lighter bag if only because carry means less handling and chance of airline damage.

Try stopping off at a luggage repair firm in your city....even one that has a contract with an airline. The repair folks in those shops will give you a good 10 minutes of what to buy and most especially what not to buy. It is amazing to see some of the supposed high end bags in those repair shops. Price, or even name brand sometimes, is not a good indicator of quality or travel worthiness.

Of course it is possible to use just a carry on or back pack for any length trip. The question is: do you want to?

After seeing all the bags in the corridors on the last night - or the massive numbers being searched through after debarking, it is obvious that a lot of people do not want to.

For us, (like with most other things) it depends. Are we flying or driving to the port, is it a short or long itinerary, cool or warm weather, are we traveling before or after the cruise, is it Cunard or NCL, etc.

If we were only doing a cruise and perhaps a few days pre and/or post in the port city we might pack more.

Last winter we did a 14 day SA cruise. It was preceded by a five days in Uruguay with a rental car Then bus to Colonia, ferry to Buenos Aires. Post cruise was a few days in Valparaiso then bus to Santiago for a few days, then a rental car in in the Central Valley. Flight to Panama, then a small plane to David/Boquete. Bus to San Jose, Costa Rica. Then a rental car for two weeks touring Guanacaste.

Clearly, no way to pack for this 8 week trip so we make the choice to keep flexible, travel light, and enjoy the trip. Plan to do something similar next winter with perhaps a last minute cruise in SE Asia.

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to packing. Just take what you are comfortable with no can manage. We could care less what other people pack....we don't have to carry it!

...We could care less what other people pack....
BUT after 60 seconds (max) of whining about the trouble they have handling it (yes, I have been there, heard that), I have a VERY hard time refraining from comment.:evilsmile: They brought it, they figure out how to handle it; don't expect help from others unless willing to pay for it.

In our travels we have seen some very funny (and some sad) incidents with those who could hardly manage one bag,let alone alone two or three. My son and I still laugh about the poor man we saw on a train in Termini Rome. Family...wife and three daughters. Lots of brand new red suitcases, everyone had a carry on plus he had a large camera and a laptop bag over his shoulders.

It was apparently his job to handle all the luggage and get it lifted into the luggage area. Poor sap. They kept sending him back to adjust this or that. Still don't know how he managed to get all of those cases lifted up to the train from the platform. He looked like he was in training to become a station porter. Or the woman on the ferry in Thailand with us. SHe had 2 25 inch cases. We had to get on one ferry, walk across, get on another,and then climb down a short ladder-four steps. No help of course you are on your own. Most people had backpacks or carry on. She just about knocked herself out trying to drag those 2 hardside 25" suitcases on to the boat. For an island beach vacation no less.

Depend on your style of cruising... we are the tradtional type so would never work for us... no fun... we love dressing up... etc. If don't you probably can do it. Have fun, different strokes for different folks.

Agree one bag travel is not for everyone. There are reasons why one would want to, or has to, check luggage. But I am a huge believer and proponent. Checkout http://www.onebag.com for an in depth analysis of the "one bag" travel movement. I do find it frustrating that at some point during our group land vacations, after getting a good ribbing from our "non-believers" , I'm helping him or with her their luggage.

Ironically for longer cruises I tend to take a bigger checked bag, not because I'm brining more clothes, but I tend to bring more electronic gizmos. [emoji15].

Cheers

Tom

Depend on your style of cruising... we are the tradtional type so would never work for us... no fun... we love dressing up... etc. If don't you probably can do it. Have fun, different strokes for different folks.

It is possible "to dress" up for cruises with one bag. Granted bringing a tux wouldn't work. But I can easily fit a blazer, dress shirt and pair of slacks/pants in a carry on with other stuff. You just wont have multiple outfits.

It is possible "to dress" up for cruises with one bag. Granted bringing a tux wouldn't work. But I can easily fit a blazer, dress shirt and pair of slacks/pants in a carry on with other stuff. You just wont have multiple outfits.
5 years ago, I did a 15 night Florida to Amsterdam cruise, followed by 3 nights in Amsterdam, a flight to Bergen, 11 nights on Hurtigruten to the Russian border and back, then return home via Iceland with a 21 inch Travel-Pro (and no additional carry-on). I did in fact have a tux with 2 sets of bow ties etc. It can be done. NOTE: due to increased casual dress, I haven't taken a tux on any cruise in the last 3 years.

The start of it for us was ten years ago when my wife suggested that we no longer bother with formal evenings on cruises.

Ever since then our Mr and Mrs Dress-up clothes have remained in our closet and our bags have become progressively smaller and lighter.

Interestingly enough since retiring we travel more frequently, for much longer periods at a time, yet we seem to be packing less and lighter each time.

Sorry, but this is a total untruth. It is possible to "dress up" during a cruise and still pack in a carry on-size bag. People who use carry on bags do not walk around in the same casual clothes day after day. We dress quite appropriately in the evening for that night's dress suggestions by the cruise line. The old "dress up" excuse for packing heavy is just a canard.

Now, if you must still bring a tuxedo and a suit and a sport coat or a gown and a cocktail dress and palazzo pants and jeweled/sparkly top and have shoes that only go with one outfit, and a different pair of pants and shirts or dresses for every day (one use and done), then you may not be capable of light packing... ;-)