Cabin Cleaning

RuthlessBoss

Makes the bed, cleans the bathroom, vacuums the carpet, throws out the garbage and replaces towels.

From time to time cleans balcony and windows.

At night turns down the bed and throws out the garbage and replaces towels.

Keith

Makes the bed, cleans the bathroom, vacuums the carpet, throws out the garbage and replaces towels.

^^^This

Keith

Dont forget the towel animals:)

All of the above.

We give the steward $20 when we meet him and just ask that he keeps the ice bucket full all day, and that we get a towel animal every night.:D:D

I know some people consider that a bribe, but we don't.

We know these people need the money, and we also tip additional at the end of the cruise.

We don't usually tip extra in the MDR, as we do YTD, and we have a different waitstaff each night.

Only once did we have a below par steward, but we still tipped them.

I'm all about making someones job easier..If they'll come clean once a day and leave me a towel animal and A BUNCH OF TOWELS and ice I don't care about twice a day. Trash and towels are my two things...I don't care about a pristine bed twice a day...it's vacation!

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the most important task performed by the Room Steward: folding the end of the toilet paper into that perfect point.:cool:

I've never understood this practice. Why I would want someone handling my TP or kleenex? Especially if the ship is having a Noro outbreak. I know the stewards use plastic gloves, but those can still transmit germs to any surface or material they touch. The glove is mainly for the stewards safety.

I usually rip off that folded triangle and toss it in the wastebasket.

Edited by evandbob

I've never understood this practice. Why I would want someone handling my TP or kleenex? Especially if the ship is having a Noro outbreak. I know the stewards use plastic gloves, but those can still transmit germs to any surface or material they touch. The glove is mainly for the stewards safety.

I usually rip off that folded triangle and toss it in the wastebasket.

My toilet paper is the thing I'd be least concerned about the Steward touching. I'd be much more concerned about him touching my TV remote, door handle, pillow, towels - just about anything before I'd worry about the TP.:rolleyes:

When people say a cabin is cleaned once or twice a day, exactly what do you think a steward does?

I guess I'm stuck on the word "clean". I'm not sure of the daily vacuum though. I think they tidy up counters and give a quick swipe.

With all the hype about tipping and holding back if they don't get cleaning 2x's a day, I wondered if people thought the evening ritual was the same as mornings. I don't think it's the same, it's more turndown and empty the few pieces of trash. Maybe for some, needs are more extensive or else I keep my cabin too tidy;) I still keep tips in place anyway.

In addition to the evening turn-down services listed by the PPs, I also appreciate that the Steward always has the room lights dimmed (only certain lights turned on), the TV on low volume on the ship's information channel (usually with the "Absolutely Beautiful" song playing:p), and the balcony curtains drawn. It makes for a cozy, "Welcome home for the evening" feeling when we enter the cabin after our night out.:)

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the most important task performed by the Room Steward: folding the end of the toilet paper into that perfect point.:cool:

My mom does that in her bathrooms! Along with fresh hand towels and 3 different soaps and lotions on the sink for anyone visiting.

We tip room Stewart $20 first day when we introduce ourselfes.AND ASK and remember there name and where they are from and ask about there family. And talk to them every day after as they always make our cruise special.

My mom does that in her bathrooms! Along with fresh hand towels and 3 different soaps and lotions on the sink for anyone visiting.

It's a woman thing, has to be. Just like soap dishes that match the shower curtain, that match the master bedroom bed quilt, or putting the cardboard box of kleenex that has flowers on it inside another box with flowers on it so it will look pretty.

Most guys wouldn't be bothered.

Keith

Also ... towel animals,

refills ice,

takes away dirty dishes and replaces used glasses,

perhaps a quick wipe down ?

I don't need fresh towels we are fine with reusing, and we keep our cabin very neat & tidy at all times, we even pull the covers up (although we don't fully 'make' the bed). But I do want more ice, dirty dishes taken away, and clean glasses. I do also like the evening ambiance when we come back into the room at night.

We also will request the twice a day service when we next on a ship affected by it, especially for the dishes/glasses issue, but I do appreciate all the other things.

Edited by angela12345

I love coming back to a cozied room in the evening. I expect if everyone took the time to keep their room relatively tidy that stewards would have a much easier time getting their work done.

I am shocked sometimes when I walk by some rooms at the mess the stewards have to clean around. Stewards are paid to clean your room not pick up after you.

Keith

Perfect answer. I think the towels are the biggest issue. Shower in the morning and shower at night. The towels do not dry in that time span. Plus I do not reuse towels at home, so I do not wish to on vacation.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

Totally unrelated but I have to tell the story. My entire family goes to my brother's house for Christmas Eve. One year their maid made a beautiful rose on the end of the TP roll. There was a second roll on the back of the toilet. Everyone that evening that went into the bathroom, left the rose undisturbed. We all used the TP sitting on the back of the toilet.

When we realized that all of us were doing it, we had a great laugh. So funny that all these adults didn't want to mess up the TP rose and used the extra roll on the tank. LOL

OK - back to your regular program. :)