empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

Yes, double points for JS.

I thought you had to pay for a JS to get the double points and free upgrades didn't count. Or is this another one of their consistent inconsistencies? :cool:

Nevermind, I now see that it was an upsell.

Edited by Retired LEO

I thought you had to pay for a JS to get the double points and free upgrades didn't count. Or is this another one of their consistent inconsistencies? :cool:

I am pretty sure that you do not get double points for a free upgrade to a JS. I have even read of instances where there were no double points if you were offered a discounted upgrade.

I am pretty sure that you do not get double points for a free upgrade to a JS. I have even read of instances where there were no double points if you were offered a discounted upgrade.

That was my understanding but nobody at RCI reads from the same book.

Nevermind, I now see that it was an upsell.

You do have to pay for a JS to get the extra points, and reduced price upsells don't count either. I apologize if I missed the upsell point when I answered above.

It really doesn't matter about the points. I had just read on another thread that we "might" get double points. I climbed the point ladder at Carnival and I can do the same with RC. I am sailing the ship I want, when I wanted to ...that is what is important to me. :)

That was my understanding but nobody at RCI reads from the same book.

Boy I have found that to be true! I wish I could talk to the same person each and every time I call.

Example:

I have read Empress OTS does NOT have a formal night, but if you ask any person you reach at the call centers, they read a canned response that says yes, all RC ships have a formal night. I spoke to someone ON the Empress and he said, Empress is the only ship that does not have a formal night. On the off chance that he is wrong, we are taking dressy clothes. Consistency would be nice when calling.

Another question...how do I post bigger pics than just thumb nails?

If you post from the TapaTalk site they are generally full frame, but be careful and post from your gallery. If you post and then take a picture, they are huge.

Edited by John&LaLa

Boy I have found that to be true! I wish I could talk to the same person each and every time I call.

Example:

I have read Empress OTS does NOT have a formal night, but if you ask any person you reach at the call centers, they read a canned response that says yes, all RC ships have a formal night. I spoke to someone ON the Empress and he said, Empress is the only ship that does not have a formal night. On the off chance that he is wrong, we are taking dressy clothes. Consistency would be nice when calling.

Please believe me.

There will NOT be a formal night on the Empress. Save the space in your suitcase.

(unless you really like to dress up just to please yourself and your SO)

And for those who don't believe unless it is in print.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN'S EMPRESS OF THE SEAS HEADS TO MIAMI FOR SHORT CARIBBEAN GETAWAYS

Adventure-Seekers Can Party, Chill, Repeat Like it's the Weekend Everyday

MIAMI, December 21, 2015 – Royal Caribbean International brings short Caribbean getaways to a whole new level when the newly-enhancedEmpress of the Seas returns to the fleet in March 2016. Following a stint with sister brand Pullmantur, Empress will head to Miami giving guests the chance to get away from it all and enjoy a lively, casual, laid-back atmosphere while visiting some of the Caribbean’s most popular islands.

Guests can languish over daily ‘Sunday’ brunches served with a complimentary mimosa or Bloody Mary, enjoy the flexible “My Time Dining” with no formal nights, take in the new Las Vegas-style “Sequins & Feathers” show and then party all night long in the newly reimagined Boleros Latin Lounge. Empress of the Seas also will offer fast pier-to-ship boarding with earlier boarding times of 11:00 a.m. to help guests maximize their vacation time even further.

“We’re excited to welcome Empress of the Seas back to the family, and back to the Caribbean,” said Michael Bayley, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “Empress’s short Caribbean getaways will give adventure-seekers the opportunity to party, chill and repeat. They will feel like it’s the weekend every day on Empress.”

As Miami’s newest hometown ship, Empress of the Seas will offer short 4- and 5-night getaways from Miami to Nassau, The Bahamas; Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico; Grand Cayman and Key West, Florida. With longer stays in every port guests will be able to experience spectacular golden sunsets in the Caribbean. Plus, on select 5-night itineraries guest can experience the authentic Mexican culture and cuisine during overnight stays in Cozumel, Mexico. Reservations are available for booking today.

“Miami welcomes Royal Caribbean’s Empress of the Seas to the Cruise Capital of the World,” said Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez. “We thank Royal Caribbean for expanding their cruise business at PortMiami. This new deployment further demonstrates the cruise line’s commitment to growing their business in Miami-Dade County. It represents continued economic growth and more job opportunities for our world-class community.”

Empress of the Seas will offer signature amenities including a thrilling rock-climbing wall for adrenaline seekers; new pools and whirlpools; a spa with an extensive treatment menu; and a complimentary Adventure Ocean youth program. Empress also will offer a variety of dining options, including the casual atmosphere of the Windjammer Café and fine dining at the brand’s signature steakhouse Chops Grille. In addition, the ship will offer Voom, the fastest internet at sea.

Edited by Tagsalong

Please believe me.

There will NOT be a formal night on the Empress. Save the space in your suitcase.

(unless you really like to dress up just to please yourself and your SO)

And for those who don't believe unless it is in print.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN'S EMPRESS OF THE SEAS HEADS TO MIAMI FOR SHORT CARIBBEAN GETAWAYS

Adventure-Seekers Can Party, Chill, Repeat Like it's the Weekend Everyday

MIAMI, December 21, 2015 – Royal Caribbean International brings short Caribbean getaways to a whole new level when the newly-enhancedEmpress of the Seas returns to the fleet in March 2016. Following a stint with sister brand Pullmantur, Empress will head to Miami giving guests the chance to get away from it all and enjoy a lively, casual, laid-back atmosphere while visiting some of the Caribbean’s most popular islands.

Guests can languish over daily ‘Sunday’ brunches served with a complimentary mimosa or Bloody Mary, enjoy the flexible “My Time Dining” with no formal nights, take in the new Las Vegas-style “Sequins & Feathers” show and then party all night long in the newly reimagined Boleros Latin Lounge. Empress of the Seas also will offer fast pier-to-ship boarding with earlier boarding times of 11:00 a.m. to help guests maximize their vacation time even further.

“We’re excited to welcome Empress of the Seas back to the family, and back to the Caribbean,” said Michael Bayley, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “Empress’s short Caribbean getaways will give adventure-seekers the opportunity to party, chill and repeat. They will feel like it’s the weekend every day on Empress.”

As Miami’s newest hometown ship, Empress of the Seas will offer short 4- and 5-night getaways from Miami to Nassau, The Bahamas; Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico; Grand Cayman and Key West, Florida. With longer stays in every port guests will be able to experience spectacular golden sunsets in the Caribbean. Plus, on select 5-night itineraries guest can experience the authentic Mexican culture and cuisine during overnight stays in Cozumel, Mexico. Reservations are available for booking today.

“Miami welcomes Royal Caribbean’s Empress of the Seas to the Cruise Capital of the World,” said Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez. “We thank Royal Caribbean for expanding their cruise business at PortMiami. This new deployment further demonstrates the cruise line’s commitment to growing their business in Miami-Dade County. It represents continued economic growth and more job opportunities for our world-class community.”

Empress of the Seas will offer signature amenities including a thrilling rock-climbing wall for adrenaline seekers; new pools and whirlpools; a spa with an extensive treatment menu; and a complimentary Adventure Ocean youth program. Empress also will offer a variety of dining options, including the casual atmosphere of the Windjammer Café and fine dining at the brand’s signature steakhouse Chops Grille. In addition, the ship will offer Voom, the fastest internet at sea.

I have read this many times, but if you call and ask RC they will tell you YES...there is one on the first sea day. I believe that there is NOT one, as the person who was on the ship, is an officer. He said NO. I said "was" on the ship, because he just left the ship for vacation. I totally believe him as he was in a position to know the right answer.

We were taking a dressier outfit for Chops Grille. And I am a person who loves to dress for dinner. What I packed though, is not Black tie...just a little fancy.

I appreciate all the answers. I do believe the ship officer when he said Empress is a party ship.

But try telling that to a sales person at RC...sheesh...they are relentless on reading from a sheet with a canned response.

Edited by jrmende63

There is a chance that the Empress of the Seas will not be ready for the April 25 sailing. The CDC went on-board the ship in Cadiz and after their inspection told RCI that they would not allow the ship to sail from Florida unless major deficiencies were fixed. Ship was infested with roaches and most food preparation equipment was not working properly. They have gutted many areas inside the ship and are replacing major components - to the tune of millions (ie 40) beyond the original budget.

The completion date may extend past the April 25 sailing.

Just thought you might want to know. We are booked on this cruise and are still hopeful we will get to go.

The Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) assists the cruise ship industry to prevent and control the introduction, transmission, and spread of gastrointestinal (GI) illnesses on cruise ships. VSP operates under the authority of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. Section 264 Quarantine and Inspection Regulations to Control Communicable Diseases).

There is a chance that the Empress of the Seas will not be ready for the April 25 sailing. The CDC went on-board the ship in Cadiz and after their inspection told RCI that they would not allow the ship to sail from Florida unless major deficiencies were fixed. Ship was infested with roaches and most food preparation equipment was not working properly. They have gutted many areas inside the ship and are replacing major components - to the tune of millions (ie 40) beyond the original budget.

Just thought you might want to know. We are booked on this cruise and are still hopeful we will get to go.

The Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) assists the cruise ship industry to prevent and control the introduction, transmission, and spread of gastrointestinal (GI) illnesses on cruise ships. VSP operates under the authority of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. Section 264 Quarantine and Inspection Regulations to Control Communicable Diseases).

I don't want to pile on the pessimism, but I have a friend currently on board another ship, and the crew there are talking about what a hot mess the Empress (still) is and that there are grave doubts about her being ready by April 25.

:(

I am usually pessimist but I highly doubt the ship wont be ready. Royal had locked booking for April 25 in case there were more delays and just recently opened it up.

This leads me to believe they got the green light

Thank you for the information.

I had previously read about the roach problem and didn't know if it was true. I'm glad Royal is taking care of things.

From what I've read, I would NEVER want to step foot on a Pullmantur ship.

This information just reinforces the statements I made a few weeks ago, with regards to RCI's mishandling of this entire situation. Since Pullmantur is a subsidiary of RCI, their USPH technical team should have been onboard months before the transfer of the ship, and could have even paid to have the USPH inspectors do a preliminary inspection. This should also have been identified at the beginning of the Cadiz shipyard period, and either one of these measures would have triggered cancellations weeks before, rather than a few days before the passage to the US. This does not reflect well on RCI's technical or USPH teams, and the customer service and PR departments are left to pick up the pieces and field the complaints.

This information just reinforces the statements I made a few weeks ago, with regards to RCI's mishandling of this entire situation. Since Pullmantur is a subsidiary of RCI, their USPH technical team should have been onboard months before the transfer of the ship, and could have even paid to have the USPH inspectors do a preliminary inspection. This should also have been identified at the beginning of the Cadiz shipyard period, and either one of these measures would have triggered cancellations weeks before, rather than a few days before the passage to the US. This does not reflect well on RCI's technical or USPH teams, and the customer service and PR departments are left to pick up the pieces and field the complaints.

What he said. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the information.

I had previously read about the roach problem and didn't know if it was true. I'm glad Royal is taking care of things.

From what I've read, I would NEVER want to step foot on a Pullmantur ship.

I met a lady last night at a work event for my husband. Her husband and my husband know each other. She works for Royal. I got to talking cruises and mentioned Empress. Her eyes got wide and told me that the ship is a hot mess. She would not elaborate. I asked her if I should be concerned about going on her. She said that Freeport has equally high expectations as the CDC and U.S. Health Department when it comes to ships and they won't let her leave Freeport until she meets U.S. Standards. Pretty much grosses me out thinking about all the rumors flying about, but if they wont let the ship sail until she's met the expectations- then I guess that's okay??

I've also heard the Majesty has always had a nasty roach problem as well. Could be rumors, could be true. Who knows!

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

Roaches??!! Icky. If that's the case I'm glad we got cancelled and switched ships. Yuck.

Jumping on Indy tmrw and the Internet is horrible on board so I will look forward to reading about what happens throughout this next week when I get back!

Edited by Powersboyee2

We were booked back to back on Empress for April 22 and April 25. Well, they canceled our April 22 and now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I just hope it is not too late to book another cruise in it's place out of Miami that week or we will be sitting in Miami with nothing!!

Do you have a source for this information?