empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

I am now a firm believer that she will be ready on April 25. To much at stake for RCI, to many execs booked on her for it to fail. However, it is still in the hands of the CDC Health Inspectors to give the OK, and that my delay to time of boarding. In any case will be in the terminal at 11:00 am with our rosy scenario glasses on.

I am now a firm believer that she will be ready on April 25. To much at stake for RCI, to many execs booked on her for it to fail. However, it is still in the hands of the CDC Health Inspectors to give the OK, and that my delay to time of boarding. In any case will be in the terminal at 11:00 am with our rosy scenario glasses on.

Not only USPH, but USCG may show up as well. My suspicion is that if this delay was caused by USPH, then they will be back to Freeport to complete the "construction" inspection, which will determine if the ship leaves the Bahamas or not, USCG will do a SOLAS inspection in Miami, and USPH will be back within a couple of weeks to do the first "operational" inspection. A main item on a USPH inspection is a full meal service to see operational procedures are being implemented. If the majority of the hotel staff are ex-Pullmantur, this could be a problem, as the USPH procedures have not become second nature to them, from endless repetition.

I wonder if everyone who is joking has even booked the Empress?

I was on the March 30th now on the April 30th. Never did receive the email notice of cancellation. Only knew because of CC. Called RCI asking to be emailed cancellation notice. Was told "NO". Explained it was needed for husbands employer in order to switch vacation days & also to change personal appointments which included a surgical procedure. Was put on hold for awhile then finally told I'd get the formal cancellation notice.

With all the uncertainty of whether the ship will sail or not is very discerning to say the least. I definitely don't want to go thru another cancellation again.

Yes, I am guilty of a couple of jokes but, those jokes along with the other jokes has given me laughter thru this time of uncertainty.

Diane

I wonder if everyone who is joking has even booked the Empress?

Joker here who is hopefully sailing on May 14th. :)

I agree with the other person who said that the jokes are helping lighten the mood and pass the time until we know for sure.

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

Joker here who is hopefully sailing on May 14th. :)

I agree with the other person who said that the jokes are helping lighten the mood and pass the time until we know for sure.

Good for all of you who can joke. If my cruise is cancelled so is my much needed vacation. I don't look forward to having to deal with the idiots at RCI if it is cancelled. Many of you need to remember that not all of us have cruised before. To a lot of you this is nothing special. To some of us it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good for all of you who can joke. If my cruise is cancelled so is my much needed vacation. I don't look forward to having to deal with the idiots at RCI if it is cancelled. Many of you need to remember that not all of us have cruised before. To a lot of you this is nothing special. To some of us it is.

I don't believe joking about bugs is a sensible joke topic at all, no matter what tension the joking is trying to relieve.

I wish RCCL will just tell us what is going on. Are they, aren't they cancelling?!?!?

We're booked on 5/14 and I need to know- We we're looking forward to this cruise but now I am not so sure.

If I need a plan B I want to do it now (which will be an increase cost for changing airfare and ships etc...)

This is stressful!!!

I agree. I don't think jokes are a good way to approach this problem.

Actually, there is no good way to approach this problem…

We've been joking at home as to how to protect ourselves from the roaches…. we might burn our suitcases clothing and all after we exit the Empress. So, if you see a couple walking around the ship wearing old worn out clothes say hello to us. We will be approachable.

I wish RCCL will just tell us what is going on. Are they, aren't they cancelling?!?!?

We're booked on 5/14 and I need to know- We we're looking forward to this cruise but now I am not so sure.

If I need a plan B I want to do it now (which will be an increase cost for changing airfare and ships etc...)

This is stressful!!!

I agree 100%. This is my first cruise (I normally do all inclusives) and I can say I may never cruise again. This has been a nightmare.

I wish all of you who are booked luck if they cancel once again.

I was booked on the April 7th cruise and I had a very small opportunity as far as timing went to get in my well needed vacation so ended up being lucky to have been able to get on the April 4 Indy sailing. That change that I did not initiate had to pay the unplanned extra costs for the Indy but also the flight cost increase to change the dates which were of course higher priced, they are supposed to pay the change fees, I'm still waiting. This to be did not make sense but if I wanted to sail what was I to do. I was shocked that they didn't cover everything due to them cancelling, big assumption on my part. If I was the one cancelling they certainly would have said too bad so sad.

Just my advice, get your plan B's in line just in case.

Good Luck all, I hope you get to sail.

I wish all of you who are booked luck if they cancel once again.

I was booked on the April 7th cruise and I had a very small opportunity as far as timing went to get in my well needed vacation so ended up being lucky to have been able to get on the April 4 Indy sailing. That change that I did not initiate had to pay the unplanned extra costs for the Indy but also the flight cost increase to change the dates which were of course higher priced, they are supposed to pay the change fees, I'm still waiting. This to be did not make sense but if I wanted to sail what was I to do. I was shocked that they didn't cover everything due to them cancelling, big assumption on my part. If I was the one cancelling they certainly would have said too bad so sad.

Just my advice, get your plan B's in line just in case.

Good Luck all, I hope you get to sail.

I'm ready to jump ship and found another cruise line that we sail on regularly. The added or increased expense of changing the airfare and cruise cost... I wish we would know soon so we can move as there seems to be slim pickings for another cruise that week or near it due to scheduling. :(

We were supposed to be on the April 7th cruise.

Our plan B was to get our money back from RCCL and give it to NCL. We found the Sky for the same time. Went from an OV with Royal to a Balcony with Norwegian. And they had open bar the whole cruise. It was a great option for us.

Plan C, another option, rent a car and drive through the keys.

actually, there is no good way to approach this problem…

we've been joking at home as to how to protect ourselves from the roaches…. We might burn our suitcases clothing and all after we exit the empress. So, if you see a couple walking around the ship wearing old worn out clothes say hello to us. We will be approachable.

gah!!! Lol

We were supposed to be on the April 7th cruise.

Our plan B was to get our money back from RCCL and give it to NCL. We found the Sky for the same time. Went from an OV with Royal to a Balcony with Norwegian. And they had open bar the whole cruise. It was a great option for us.

Plan C, another option, rent a car and drive through the keys.

Our Plan C was the same as yours but plan b happened. I think next time we go South I will try staying on land and not cruise. I am booked on Adventure in Nov but this one is out of San Juan and new ports so I will likely go then but spring trip will be on land or different line just to change it up a bit.

Edited by #55worktoplay

This is my first cruise (I normally do all inclusives) and I can say I may never cruise again. This has been a nightmare.

I can appreciate your frustration, especially as this your first foray into the cruise experience. But that said, perhaps this is a good thing for you to learn now. Cruising is not an exact science, many things can and will go wrong, including cancelled cruises, cancelled flights, lost luggage, changed itineraries, sea sickness, missed ships, rude crews, norovirus outbreaks, bad weather, piracy and mutiny.

It's not easy. You need thick skin. And yet most of us here still continue to cruise despite it all. I like to think it's our sense of humour that helps us make it through. If you can't laugh in the face of adversity, might I boldly suggest perhaps cruising is not for you?

I can appreciate your frustration, especially as this your first foray into the cruise experience. But that said, perhaps this is a good thing for you to learn now. Cruising is not an exact science, many things can and will go wrong, including cancelled cruises, cancelled flights, lost luggage, changed itineraries, sea sickness, missed ships, rude crews, norovirus outbreaks, bad weather, piracy and mutiny.

It's not easy. You need thick skin. And yet most of us here still continue to cruise despite it all. I like to think it's our sense of humour that helps us make it through. If you can't laugh in the face of adversity, might I boldly suggest perhaps cruising is not for you?

None of this is normal. Yes ship happens but this is really not normal and I wouldn't paint it as a toughening up experience. Royal treated guests from the six bumped sailings like TRASH and have done nothing but Mushroom Manage ever since. This is disappointing because so many of us expect more from this company in terms of customer care.

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

I've got 2 booked. You got to lighten up and go with the flow.

Here's the problem. You can more easily joke about it when you live in Florida. For many of the rest of us, we have to fly and have nonrefundable airfare that will be hundreds of dollars. RCCL has not covered these in the past. We also have pre cruise hotels with nonrefundable fees. We're talking hundreds of dollars here.

Living in Florida removes two big expenses that we have. So when we see folks making jokes about roaches we are not laughing.

Edited by yogimax

None of this is normal. Yes ship happens but this is really not normal and I wouldn't paint it as a toughening up experience. Royal treated guests from the six bumped sailings like TRASH and have done nothing but Mushroom Manage ever since. This is disappointing because so many of us expect more from this company in terms of customer care.

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Here's the problem. You can more easily joke about it when you live in Florida. For many of the rest of us, we have to fly and have nonrefundable airfare that will be hundreds of dollars. RCCL has not covered these in the past. We also have pre cruise hotels with nonrefundable fees. We're talking hundreds of dollars here.

Living in Florida removes two big expenses that we have. So when we see folks making jokes about roaches we are not laughing.

Exactly!

The roach rumors are just that, rumors. Might be true, might not. I almost let myself get looped into the the mill, but I've decided to take a pass on that. I had not really paid much attention to the calendar and it hadn't occurred to me just how close we are to the (new) first sailing. My cruise isn't until 5/19, so I can breathe a little easier than folks who are sailing next week. If things do go south, I've got insurance to cover the flights, or we just may fly to Miami and drive down to the Keys....or catch another cruise that weekend. In the meantime, I'm chillin' until we know anything for real.

Edited by MJonTravel