potato chips and candy: butler

luckyinpa

NCL offers Pepsi products. If you want Coke, you need to bring it aboard yourself.

Your Butler will usually stock your suite with any and all ON BOARD snacks that you request and will make sure that your requested soda items are kept chilled each day.

To the OP:

Depending upon your suite category, soda and bottled water may not be included for free.

They would be billed to you the same as if you purchased them yourself, just like alcoholic beverages wouldn't be included (except in certain suite categories) and would be charged per drink even if delivered by the Butler. There just wouldn't be any room service fee (other than the general tip to Butler, of course),

ok ill just stick to filet mignon and choc mousse being delivered. those are 2 other things i really like to snack on

The butler would be happy to that but to get filet mignon you will have to pay the cover charge for on of the specialty restaurants

The butler would be happy to that but to get filet mignon you will have to pay the cover charge for on of the specialty restaurants

its unlimited apps/desserts, correct? because i have to admit the one dessert i love is the choc mousse, id want 2 or 3 to go with that filet.

i guess id have to go upstairs to the haven bar to get my drinks first though. will the give you both a booze drink and a soda at the same time?

you got the joke :D along with the ketchup chips

Was your entire thread based on a "joke"? Why? I m not angry, just curious. Did you really want info about snacks or you were just being "cute" ?

Totally forgot that NCL has Pepsi products. And , yes, I got a diet soda and an alcoholic bev. together several times.

per my sig i'm new to cruising. no clue about anything. so looking for guidance. i had no idea how to use a butler at all nor what they could/should/will do. it will be awkward for me. i'm used to doing all for myself. never had cleaning lady, dont stay in 5 star hotels. so i literally had no clue how to use a butler or what they had 'in stock' for me to choose from. also if there really is no list on what's available how can one even make a request for what they do have in stock. that part seems weird to me.

closest thing i did regarding a butler was at the 4 seasons in DC i did have someone setup flowers and choc covered strawberries and something else before i arrived and it was very nice. and i've stayed on dupont circle hotel on level 9 and did ask for particular things on my pre - stay questionnaire and he didnt get me specific chips i asked for but did get other nice stuff instead. nice cake for bday too. totally unexpected.

by the way i prefer mt dew to coke anyway. you can have warm mt dew and it still taste the same. cant say that for coke :)

i'm just trying to figure out how to 'use' the butler without making him nor myself uncomfortable. normally when i stay in any hotel i put the DND sign up and never even care for fresh towels if i'm staying just 1 or 2 nites. i dont need anyone doing anything for me but since this costs over 5K, yea i'm gonna let them in and do whatever they can to make the room better :)

Sorry but you keep referring to how many $$ you have spent for your suite and that you want to be sure you get your money's worth. Are fancy chips, multiple orders of chocolate mousse, filet (to snack on..SMH) etc really must haves or is it just your wish to get your money's worth? Ugh.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are in a suite in a few weeks, also have never had a butler or concierge before. I plan to follow the same general principles I do at home and at my job (I'm an RN). If I can do it for myself I will. We will ask for in room breakfast a couple of days when we have early activities and I'm not too concerned about the snacks, it's a good opportunity to try something new. We may need help with a reservation or two, so I'll take that help too and I'll thank them and tip them well.

I think you are overthinking this. You don't have to look for ways to use them, in my humble opinion. Just ask for assistance when you truly need it.

I still vividly remember this from one of our cruises. We took the upsell to one of the suites one year. Our butler was just a lovely, lovely man. We knew he had some "high maintenance" cabins and guests on his list. We were in an aft suite ( a bit out of the way from many of the other suites on the ship really).

One day as he was delivering our afternoon snacks, we were engaged in a short very pleasant conversation about himself, his family, etc. when his phone rings 'yes one Mudslide? Yes, thank you I will bring it right up". He excused himself to go and fetch the mudslide for the cabin. I said to my husband - really? calling the butler for a bar drink to be delivered? "Get you own dasm Mudslide" became our little phrase. I must admit I was kind of shocked that someone would call the butler to get them a drink from the bar. Requesting M&Ms sure. Dinner, breakfast, I understand - it was lovely having breakfast brought in one morning complete with linens and silverware, but a phone call for a bar drink? If you created a standing request for a drink to be delivered at a certain time every day, yes OK, but an on the fly request for a bar drink is a bit over the top to me.

I remember seeing a special a few years ago where a suite guest requested a specific brand of cigarettes on the morning of departure and the crew sent someone off of the ship to find a store that sold them. It was a Royal Caribbean ship, iirc.

I don't know if the story was true or just hype.

I still vividly remember this from one of our cruises.

I said to my husband - really? calling the butler for a bar drink to be delivered? "Get you own dasm Mudslide" became our little phrase. I must admit I was kind of shocked that someone would call the butler to get them a drink from the bar.

You have the right to have your opinion but ordering drinks from room service (that is provided to all suites by butlers) is in no way over the top IMO - you can order drinks from a bar to any cabin, just like in hotels of same level.

We have utilized this on many cruises and never had a problem or felt like we'd be high maintenance because of it - that is one of the very few things that we might ask the butler to do (besides occasional breakfasts when they are super busy anyway).

I still vividly remember this from one of our cruises. We took the upsell to one of the suites one year. Our butler was just a lovely, lovely man. We knew he had some "high maintenance" cabins and guests on his list. We were in an aft suite ( a bit out of the way from many of the other suites on the ship really).

One day as he was delivering our afternoon snacks, we were engaged in a short very pleasant conversation about himself, his family, etc. when his phone rings 'yes one Mudslide? Yes, thank you I will bring it right up". He excused himself to go and fetch the mudslide for the cabin. I said to my husband - really? calling the butler for a bar drink to be delivered? "Get you own dasm Mudslide" became our little phrase. I must admit I was kind of shocked that someone would call the butler to get them a drink from the bar. Requesting M&Ms sure. Dinner, breakfast, I understand - it was lovely having breakfast brought in one morning complete with linens and silverware, but a phone call for a bar drink? If you created a standing request for a drink to be delivered at a certain time every day, yes OK, but an on the fly request for a bar drink is a bit over the top to me.

I LOVE this. Stealing it!

It's over the top for me, too.

Maybe a bottle of wine or champagne, but not a single drink.

To each their own.

I'll get my own mudslide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I LOVE this. Stealing it!

It's over the top for me, too.

Maybe a bottle of wine or champagne, but not a single drink.

To each their own.

I'll get my own mudslide.

I'm with you guys on this. Which is probably part of the reason I decided to stop even trying to get an upsell to the Haven on our upcoming 4/3 cruise. I know I'm not the type of person to ever want to "put the butler out" in any way, and it would probably bug me to see other people doing it!! I'd end up wanting to help the poor guy.

I know. I know. To each his own. I'm better off just staying out of there.

We had were in a suite last month and never asked for anything...she bought stuff to us, but we didn't ask for any of it. We never called her on the phone they have in the room, never left her a note, etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are doing the haven for the first time in Oct, and i have no idea what we would do with a butler.

When my hubby was telling me about what the haven has...when he got to "butler" I stopped him...

We get a ;$):&:@.!,? Butler? What would we do with a ;(,?&$@$;) butler?

I don't curse typically, but let's just say I was surprised! And excited..!

I grew up middle class and we had a dishwasher...her name was Pam...lol...our first microwave was a big deal. I went to college with a bunch of rich kids and they rather come to my parent's house to hang out so they did not have people constantly bugging them. They had cleaning people, maids, one had a part time butler...! They traveled on private vacations with their own travel concierge.

When my hubby and I stayed at a high end service hotel, they remembered our breakfast order, offered to bring tea to the room, remembered everything about us, including my aversion to tomatoes...I told one person and for the rest of the trip, I did not see a tomato. The wake up call was 5 minutes long, asking if we wanted tea, food, coffee, another wake up call in 15 minutes, or someone to knock on our door personally...They offered to draw us a bath! They put a dozen roses in the room and candles everywhere for our anniversary...and drew a bath... Lol...They were really interested in chatting it's us...it felt all a bit awkward to be waited on so...erm...thoroughly! We had to find a shortcut to our room to avoid "the gauntlet of super happy friendly people!"

We thought we would enjoy being pampered..but it felt weird for someone to draw me a bath...seriously?

Lol...anyway...I think I will let the butler's attitude dictate what I ask for...like hubby loves gummy bears but I would feel weird to ask for them...but if the butler offers to get us a treat...I would surprise my hubby with gummy bears...hehe...

Just...relax, go with the flow.

Lol...anyway...I think I will let the butler's attitude dictate what I ask for...like hubby loves gummy bears but I would feel weird to ask for them...but if the butler offers to get us a treat...I would surprise my hubby with gummy bears...hehe...

Just...relax, go with the flow.

It is not at all weird or even unusual to make a request like that to the butler. Odds are the butler is not going to ask you what special requests you have. If you are lucky enough to get a good butler, once you make your requests, they will be able to do other special things for you based on learning more about you. Gummi bears (and M & M's) are a common request. Think of the things you would enjoy on your cruise that would make it extra special. You ARE paying extra to make your experience special. Some examples are cream (instead of half and half) for the coffee, orange juice (to make mimosas with your included "sparkling wine") chocolate milk, a preference for sweets or savory for the daily snack they bring, etc.

everyone says give the butler a legal request and he will do it. i'm a chip fanatic. so if i ask for crab chips, salt and vinegar chips, ketchup chips, will they have that for me? is there a snack list to choose from? im not high maintenance but since i paid for it, i do want some yummy goodness.

also i love stuff like mike and ike, sweet tarts and candy like that. is it a proper use for your butler to get that stuff for you?

1st time butler for me.. can you tell?

i am already aware they will bring you anything from the restaurants that is there.

I think you forgot to add 'reasonable request' along with legal. I never heard of crab chips, ketchup chips so wonder if they are a regional thing but do not think they are really common on cruise ships. Ask for potato chips, and you likely will get some but don't over reach, IMO (The butler won't be impressed/amused with such a request. ;) )

Edited by sail7seas

We are doing the haven for the first time in Oct, and i have no idea what we would do with a butler.

We thought we would enjoy being pampered..but it felt weird for someone to draw me a bath...seriously?

We don't know if this is still offered, but Norwegian certainly does seem serious about this:

"December 12, 2013 -

Norwegian Cruise Line has added another element of luxury to the line’s array of exclusive suite amenities by introducing a new, first of its kind in the cruise industry “Bath Butler” menu, offering guests the opportunity to pamper themselves with one of the line’s signature baths, which are drawn by the suite guest’s dedicated certified butler.

The butler baths are listed on an in-suite menu and available in all suites fleet wide, including those in the Haven by Norwegian, the line’s exclusive ship-within-in-a-ship suite complex.

'Norwegian’s suites offer a level of service and array of exclusive amenities that can only be found in five and six star land-based resorts,' said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s chief executive officer.

'With the introduction of our Bath Butler Menu, we are taking luxury to the next level and know that our guests will love pampering themselves with one of these specially designed baths drawn by our certified butlers.'

Norwegian’s Bath Butler Menu features seven different luxury bath packages, each inspired by one of Norwegian’s spectacular destinations. Every package also includes a tasty treat and refreshing beverage selection. Many of Norwegian’s suite bath tubs also have views of the ocean for an even more luxurious experience.

For those guests wanting the ultimate in pampering, Norwegian’s signature drawn bath is the unparalleled Mediterranean Soak. For $499, guests will bask in the French verbena bubbles that surround them, as they block out the world with their eye mask while sipping on a glass of chilled Dom Perignon champagne, poured from the bottle that sits beside them. In addition, guests who indulge in the Mediterranean Soak will enjoy feasting on sturgeon caviar."

I didnt think we'd ask for much, but we did call him for a few things:

1) to get 1 movie

2) to bring our bottle of champagne to the restaurant (notified in advance, as we wouldnt be going back to the room)

3) for breakfast the last morning (we called the night before to let him know)

He also was awesome on my birthday - brought a cake, 6 sodas, and a bottle of real champagne to the room (the above referenced champagne)

But let me tell you how apparantly some people act. Not with the butler, but the head chef last week told us that apparantly guests demand to speak with him personally about dietary requests. Apparantly, one celebrity called him to her stateroom, and told him that s/he expected an egg white omelet every morning, no oil, no butter, only veggies. He inquired what s/he wanted him to cook it in, if all those things were off limits. this person literally HANDED HIM A PAN that it had to be cooked in.

:eek:

apparantly THAT was a little over the top, but also apparantly, a lot of people make special requests all over the ship

After hearing about things like that, Im pretty sure that a request for candy or chips is fairly reasonable, with the added caveat that if they dont have them on board, either bring them yourself or provide money for their purchase (and an amazing tip)

ETA: There was a bath butler menu, including the $500 bath that included a bottle of Dom Peringon, but the only one of us that took baths was my 4 yo daughter. (she's afraid of showers)

Edited by Starflyr3