Ama Waterways Bordeaux

theopup

We just returned from our week in the Bordeaux region ... but over all not an itinerary I would recommend for a river cruise feel. I understand that they are at the mercy of the tides, but tides are known in advance. We spent way too much time on buses.

I agree that this itinerary was dramatically affected by tides and water levels. The Captains talked a lot about the shifting tides and in some locations,we saw for ourselves what a huge differential there was in just a matter of hours. They also spoke about the sandbars and how they presented an additional challenge.

The tours on Scenic Diamond were varied and very well done overall, and some indeed required longer bus rides, which is not my favorite thing personally. It seems that this itinerary is similar to the Douro in that respect.

We loved the city of Bordeaux and were happy to have so much time there. The other ports were not especially memorable IMO, except as gateways to places like St. Emilion.

The weather was fabulous for most of our ten day trip and we spent as much time as possible in the ports of call.

I've been undecided as to whether it would be better to visit this area by land, or by river boat. We did an overnight cruise stop in Bordeaux a number of years ago, and we found it very easy to get around the area on our own. It helped that we actually docked in Bordeaux itself, not an hour away like the big ships. Beautiful city but we didn't have much time there, because...

We rented a car from the Hertz location at the train station, an easy tram ride from the dock. We drove to Saint-Émillion one day, then Sauternes and Barsac the next day. The times and distances were quite manageable. Nothing was more than an hour. I think I'd lean towards an independent land-based trip when we go back for another visit...but there is still some appeal to having a nice floating hotel as your home base! Lots to think about - this thread has been very helpful. Looking forward to hearing more.

I loved the area, I thought it was a gorgeous place. I enjoyed the visit, but didn't enjoy being trapped on never ending excursions, some that consisted of 4 hours on a bus for one wine tasting that took 45 minutes. I admit going back to the floating hotel is nice, but I'd love to go back to the region and do a land based tour on my own. I think I could see a lot more, and not really miss the cruise portion. I'll go on another river cruise, but one with more cruise and less bus time.

We just returned from the Bordeaux itinerary on AMA, including some precruise time on our own in Bordeaux and the post cruise Loire itinerary. We had done a similar cruise on Viking two years ago.

I will skip the Viking-AMA comparisons unless someone is interested.

We enjoyed our independent time in Bordeaux and used the tour company Bordovino to arrange a wonderful day that included lunch a Bordeaux wine education session, lunch and and a full afternoon in St. Emillion with visits to two very different chateaux.

On the cruise we only heeded the tour directors advice to be selective and not take all the tours on one day when the tour was identical to one we had experienced on Viking. We were very pleased with all the tours through AMA. Tastings were excellent and tour guides were also. The only day we had an extended bus ride was on the optional trip to Cognac, and we knew that before we signed up for it.

For anyone who wants the floating hotel but wants to venture a little on their own I would recommend departing from the planned tours and doing your own things on some days, or arrange a tour through an outside agency. I saw nothing to be unhappy about concerning the excursions that were offered.

I do agree that food in the MDR was not consistently up to our standards. We had very good meals 4 of the 7 nights, OK food one night and food that was just not good two nights...but we are pretty spoiled regarding what we expect for food and others did not seem to have a problem with what they were served. Also, this was a wine cruise and there were only two nights that we considered the wine of adequate quality. However, you are in wine country, so buying wine and bringing it onboard is an option. No corkage was being charged, even though this is AMA's usual policy.

Regarding the Loire excursion, it was intense but very enjoyable. One gorgeous chateau after another, all connected by through history. We had the same tour guide for all three days and she did a wonderful job of giving us the full picture of how all 5 chateaux that we visited played a part in the historical timeline. No complaints about the Novotel in Amboise other than the lack of attention to the gluten free diet of 3 of us on the tour when the first night meal at the hotel was planned. We had a great breakfast buffet with a beautiful view of the valley. We watched two hot air balloons that were just landing in the valley from the dining are when we arrived the first evening. What a great picture!

The Pullman hotel at CDG on our last night was wonderful, with easy access to the free train to the terminal.

So all and all we enjoyed our trip and made our concerns known when we had a problem.

We just returned from the Bordeaux itinerary on AMA, including some precruise time on our own in Bordeaux and the post cruise Loire itinerary. We had done a similar cruise on Viking two years ago.

We enjoyed our independent time in Bordeaux and used the tour company Bordovino to arrange a wonderful day that included lunch a Bordeaux wine education session, lunch and and a full afternoon in St. Emillion with visits to two very different chateaux.

On the cruise we only heeded the tour directors advice to be selective and not take all the tours on one day when the tour was identical to one we had experienced on Viking. We were very pleased with all the tours through AMA. Tastings were excellent and tour guides were also. The only day we had an extended bus ride was on the optional trip to Cognac, and we knew that before we signed up for it.

For anyone who wants the floating hotel but wants to venture a little on their own I would recommend departing from the planned tours and doing your own things on some days, or arrange a tour through an outside agency. I saw nothing to be unhappy about concerning the excursions that were offered.

I do agree that food in the MDR was not consistently up to our standards. We had very good meals 4 of the 7 nights, OK food one night and food that was just not good two nights...but we are pretty spoiled regarding what we expect for food and others did not seem to have a problem with what they were served. Also, this was a wine cruise and there were only two nights that we considered the wine of adequate quality. However, you are in wine country, so buying wine and bringing it onboard is an option. No corkage was being charged, even though this is AMA's usual policy.

Regarding the Loire excursion, it was intense but very enjoyable. One gorgeous chateau after another, all connected by through history. We had the same tour guide for all three days and she did a wonderful job of giving us the full picture of how all 5 chateaux that we visited played a part in the historical timeline. No complaints about the Novotel in Amboise other than the lack of attention to the gluten free diet of 3 of us on the tour when the first night meal at the hotel was planned. We had a great breakfast buffet with a beautiful view of the valley. We watched two hot air balloons that were just landing in the valley from the dining are when we arrived the first evening. What a great picture!

The Pullman hotel at CDG on our last night was wonderful, with easy access to the free train to the terminal.

So all and all we enjoyed our trip and made our concerns known when we had a problem.

Thanks for your review. Our 1st river cruise is the Bordeaux wine cruise with AMA in August. Our TA let us know that this wasn't the best choice for a 1st river cruise but we enjoy wine and when we can will try to tour wineries, go to wine tastings etc when travelling so we are using this river cruise more for this purpose than as a river cruise. Glad you liked all the tours but a little concerned as you and an earlier reviewer mentioned that the food wasn't up to par. One of the things that attracted us to this AMA cruise was the food and wine pairings. Did you have an opportunity to try the Chef's Table?

We aren't doing the post cruise itinerary instead we are renting a car and driving through the Loire Valley for a week but it sounds very nice.

If you have any other details or thoughts about the cruise I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for your review. Our 1st river cruise is the Bordeaux wine cruise with AMA in August. Our TA let us know that this wasn't the best choice for a 1st river cruise but we enjoy wine and when we can will try to tour wineries, go to wine tastings etc when travelling so we are using this river cruise more for this purpose than as a river cruise. Glad you liked all the tours but a little concerned as you and an earlier reviewer mentioned that the food wasn't up to par. One of the things that attracted us to this AMA cruise was the food and wine pairings. Did you have an opportunity to try the Chef's Table?

We aren't doing the post cruise itinerary instead we are renting a car and driving through the Loire Valley for a week but it sounds very nice.

If you have any other details or thoughts about the cruise I'd love to hear them.

We DIYed the Loire Valley last summer. Amboise makes a good central base, and I highly recommend Le Vieux Manoir. The owner is a font of good ideas and is very helpful making reservations (she got us squeezed in at the last minute to a top restaurant on our first night). For more info see the link below "AmaDagio Provence 9-2015" in my signature.

I enjoyed the tour to Cognac, and didn't mind the bus trip. The day there was a mix up with buses, and there were not enough seats for everyone who was going on the excursion, it was an issue. We went down the same road 3 times and spent 4 hours on the bus. That for me was a big issue, and I know a lot of fellow passengers felt the situation could have been handled in a better manner. Some excursions were very good, but overall they are still in the process of tweaking the itinerary, and it was evident.

We DIYed the Loire Valley last summer. Amboise makes a good central base, and I highly recommend Le Vieux Manoir. The owner is a font of good ideas and is very helpful making reservations (she got us squeezed in at the last minute to a top restaurant on our first night). For more info see the link below "AmaDagio Provence 9-2015" in my signature.

Just finished reading your wonderful blog..loved your pictures...thanks for suggesting it. You had a wonderful trip! I see there were a few meals you weren't impressed with either. We'll go with an open mind and enjoy the meals that are good.

I enjoyed the tour to Cognac, and didn't mind the bus trip. The day there was a mix up with buses, and there were not enough seats for everyone who was going on the excursion, it was an issue. We went down the same road 3 times and spent 4 hours on the bus. That for me was a big issue, and I know a lot of fellow passengers felt the situation could have been handled in a better manner. Some excursions were very good, but overall they are still in the process of tweaking the itinerary, and it was evident.

Yes, that would be an issue for me. Too bad the excursions weren't better run on your trip. Hopefully by the time we go all the bugs will have been worked out.

Just finished reading your wonderful blog..loved your pictures...thanks for suggesting it. You had a wonderful trip! I see there were a few meals you weren't impressed with either. We'll go with an open mind and enjoy the meals that are good.

Only 1 dinner was sub-par, the rest were all really good. We are adventuresome [as you will have noted with the Quenelles in Lyon the night before the cruise!], but there are also several "everyday" choices that could always rescue a mis-fire if someone likes to stay closer to home -- and I think the story about my cousin's Extra-Virgin Olive Oil is illustrative of how quickly and how thoroughly AMA will adapt to please even a finicky guest.

We did try the Chef's Table and we're not as impressed as we were on our last AMA cruise. We found the MDR to be better on their good nights. Some dishes were very good, some OK and one was just bad. I think the chef for the Chef's Table is a bit overwhelmed. It really wasn't a wine and food pairing, just one red and one white. Slightly better quality than the MDR, but only OK.

We are traveling on the Viking Forseti next month and are arriving in Bordeaux a couple of days early. Have a couple of tours lined up through Viator - Walking food tour and a Segway tour.

Did you stay at a hotel in Bordeaux? We are booked at the BEST WESTERN Hotel Royal St Jean

Any restaurant recommendations in Bordeaux ?

We are also signed up for the Cognac tour and will be leaving from Baye.

How long was your bus ride ?

Thanks.

We are booked at the BEST WESTERN Hotel Royal St Jean

Thanks.

Great hotel choice! We stopped in to check out the rooms last week and were impressed with hotel, staff, rooms and location.

Are you looking for upscale dining or casual meals?

Great hotel choice! We stopped in to check out the rooms last week and were impressed with hotel, staff, rooms and location.

Are you looking for upscale dining or casual meals?

Casual. We will have 2 nights open.

Thanks.

We are traveling on the Viking Forseti next month and are arriving in Bordeaux a couple of days early. Have a couple of tours lined up through Viator - Walking food tour and a Segway tour.

Did you stay at a hotel in Bordeaux? We are booked at the BEST WESTERN Hotel Royal St Jean

Thanks.

The hotel we stayed in was the Le Boutique Hotel. EXCELLENT! We flew into Bordeaux from Paris and for slightly more than a taxi they arranged a driver who arrived in his Jaguar. He also took us to the boat the morning we checked out. The hotel has a great wine bar with a very knowledgeable staff. I would go to Bordeaux just to stay in this hotel again.

Restaurant recommended by the hotel that we really enjoyed was La Brasserie Bordelaise. I already had it on my "to do" list. We had lunch there and had the plat of the day, and a bottle of Bordeaux of course. Excellent meal and service in a packed restaurant. It is very popular with locals.

The drive to Cognac took 2 hours each way. We had our iPads for reading and our guide entertained us on the way. Had a restroom stop on the way, but none on the way back. The guide warned everyone in advance of getting on the bus so we could all make a stop at the restrooms at Otard, our last tasting. FYI - there were two buses so our group went to Martell first and the other one to Otard first.

We sailed this itinerary on the Forseti their first year here in 2014. We skipped the Cognac vist on that trip and were glad we took it this time.

• 1 month later...
Very anxious to hear from anyone going on the new Ama Bordeaux itinerary, as we are taking our first river cruise on this route in September

Hello theopup we are also booked on this cruise depart September 30. We are also doing the pre cruise in Paris. Have only read one review from pegs max. Looking forward to reading more. Maybe we will be on the same sailing? Our TA tells us so far it's just over half sold. Also our first river cruise. Can't come soon enough.

My husband and I are doing this itinerary on April 29th. Anxiously awaiting our documents, and dreaming about sailing through this beautiful region. I'm hoping someone from the first sailing will be on here to tell us about it!

Hello Pegsmax. I have read your review of Amadolce Taste of Bordeaux cruise. We are booked to depart September 30. Our first river cruise. Our TA says the problems you mentioned should be ironed out by then. What do you think?

I also understand the bus ride back to Paris is 4 hours long. Sounds long and boring but only way back. What was your experience? Did they use several buses? Was that part disorganized as well. You are the only paying guest review on this cruise so far. Would appreciate hearing more. Thank you!

Hello Pegsmax. I have read your review of Amadolce Taste of Bordeaux cruise. We are booked to depart September 30. Our first river cruise. Our TA says the problems you mentioned should be ironed out by then. What do you think?

I also understand the bus ride back to Paris is 4 hours long. Sounds long and boring but only way back. What was your experience? Did they use several buses? Was that part disorganized as well. You are the only paying guest review on this cruise so far. Would appreciate hearing more. Thank you!

We took this cruise in April also, but maybe after Pegsmax. Did not have any of the problems with excursions noted in Pegsmax' review. So some changes may have been made. Also, there was a gentleman onboard from AMA headquarters who my husband inquired about. The Hotel Manager said he had asked him to join the cruise in order to give him input on the ship's operations.

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised the first week of May, so I think we were on the same time as tipsygirl. (We actually boarded April 29th). I don't think the issues we encountered with the excursions would be a common occurrence. We know that something unusual happened, but we didn't think AMA handled the problem very well. The cruise was fine, but not to our taste. We knew going that there was a chance we would find the excursions long,and now we know that a land trip to Bordeaux would suit us better. I'm definitely going to go on another river cruise, but a different type of itinerary, and probably not with AMA. I wasn't impressed enough by the quality of the cruise (service, food etc.) compared to price paid for the trip.

Just got our documents for our 1st river cruise. It's on the AmaDolce for the Bordeaux wine cruise on August 5th. Hoping all the bugs are worked out by now. Not doing the pre or post itinerary with AMA. Arriving in Bordeaux a few days early before the cruise and renting a car and driving around the Loire Valley after the cruise. I have been looking for recent reviews for this cruise and couldn't find any. When I get back, I'll post a review for those taking this cruise.

We cruised the first week of May, so I think we were on the same time as tipsygirl. (We actually boarded April 29th). I don't think the issues we encountered with the excursions would be a common occurrence. We know that something unusual happened, but we didn't think AMA handled the problem very well. The cruise was fine, but not to our taste. We knew going that there was a chance we would find the excursions long,and now we know that a land trip to Bordeaux would suit us better. I'm definitely going to go on another river cruise, but a different type of itinerary, and probably not with AMA. I wasn't impressed enough by the quality of the cruise (service, food etc.) compared to price paid for the trip.

Sorry you didn't enjoy AMA:(.....I took my first River Cruise with them

in April and was so impressed with everything that I have already

booked another cruise with them for next year.:)...I thought the food

and service were so totally excellent!

Edited by Lois R

• 3 weeks later...
Just got our documents for our 1st river cruise. It's on the AmaDolce for the Bordeaux wine cruise on August 5th. Hoping all the bugs are worked out by now. Not doing the pre or post itinerary with AMA. Arriving in Bordeaux a few days early before the cruise and renting a car and driving around the Loire Valley after the cruise. I have been looking for recent reviews for this cruise and couldn't find any. When I get back, I'll post a review for those taking this cruise.

Hi to everyone,

Leaving in a few hours for AMA Spain & Provence. The Bordeaux itinerary & the Paris-Normandy itinerary look interesting. Would appreciate reviews comments etc about each one.

Thx

Carole