MDR Assigned Dining Question

We are a family of 9, grandparents, parents, and kids. Our bookings are linked for dining, and we have early seating. The adults would like to have the option to dine separately as a couple a night or two, in the MDR. Could they utilize the Anytime dining room and walk up and request a table for 2? I know that specialty dining is an option, but wanted to use the MDR if possible. Thanks.

Unfortunately, no. Your party needs to stay with the chosen dining time throughout your cruise without alternating between times/options for the MDR.

If you prefer flexibility, choose ATD.

Edited by KevInPitt

If you have assigned dining, you are not supposed to use the Anytime Dining option and, likewise, those who opt for Anytime Dining are not given seats in the MDR during the assigned dining times.

Having said that, I don't know how strictly the staff in the Anytime Dining Room enforces the rule. When I've had Anytime Dining on Carnival, I've never seen anyone with assigned dining try to get into the ATD room, but it probably happens on some ships.

But, if you want to eat separately from the group, either use the specialty dining or the Lido. If you are being seating at a table for two in the ATD room, you are making me (and others) wait longer for our tables.

If you have assigned dining, you are not supposed to use the Anytime Dining option and, likewise, those who opt for Anytime Dining are not given seats in the MDR during the assigned dining times.

Having said that, I don't know how strictly the staff in the Anytime Dining Room enforces the rule. When I've had Anytime Dining on Carnival, I've never seen anyone with assigned dining try to get into the ATD room, but it probably happens on some ships.

But, if you want to eat separately from the group, either use the specialty dining or the Lido. If you are being seating at a table for two in the ATD room, you are making me (and others) wait longer for our tables.

They check your sail and sign and yes, they enforce it. Simply because your gratuities are connected to your folio and if they seat you in ATD when you have an assigned dining, that ATD wait team is not going to get their gratuities.

You pick one type of dining and that is what you have during the cruise. You cannot switch from assigned to AnyTime and back and forth as you choose!

There are only a certain number of slots for AnyTime Dining and they will ask your cabin number to know how to allocate tips and where to seat you.

IF you want options then the group needs to all pick Anytime Dining but that is not always the best choice for a large group if they all want to eat together.

You can get the dining options you wish with any time dining. If its still available you can change to it in your cruise docs. If its not available see the maitre d around 1pm day of sailing and request it.

Drop the kids off at camp carnival so the adults can dine alone. Several nights camp meets at 6 at the lido buffet so you can check the kids in for dinner. Then camp takes them back to the camp carnival area after dinner for you to pick up later.