Walking around Kahului, Maui

ruecatt

Does anyone know if it is possible to walk from the pier into Kahului? I don't have anything planned for this stop and was hoping to be able to walk into town and check it out.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "town".

You can walk to the Maui Mall (Whole Foods, Longs Drugs, TJ Maxx) and the Queen Ka'ahumanu Mall (nice and indoors), but it isn't a visitor centric town like Lahaina ever since all the resorts have been developed on the opposite side of the island.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZtTEVk4VkQA2

I do think Longs Drugs has very cool items for sale and if you dock on a Saturday there is the Maui swap meet.

Does anyone know if it is possible to walk from the pier into Kahului? I don't have anything planned for this stop and was hoping to be able to walk into town and check it out.

If possible, you really should consider renting a car. It would be a crime to come to Maui and not explore what it has to offer. Kahului is not a prime example of the best of Maui (read: the area is nothing to look at).

Agree with the others to go out and explore a bit - Maui has a lot of great scenery and many highlights that can be easily and inexpensively visited with a rental car. Missing that opportunity and staying in Kahului for the day would be unfortunate.

You don't say why you have nothing planned for this port so perhaps you have been to Maui in the past. I know for us there have been times when we've been to a port so many times that we have just enjoyed a day on the ship.

However, as others have said, if you haven't visited Maui previously it would be a shame to waste the opportunity by hanging around Kahului, which has very little to offer in comparison to the rest of the island. Just my opinion.

Yes, you can walk to the mall, but it's quite small and low-key compared with other malls - certainly nothing like the Ala Moana mall in Honolulu.

There are so many beautiful and special places on Maui - perhaps an excursion or a rental car?

There is so much beauty to explore on Maui & a rental car is the best way to view it. :)

If not wanting to rent a car, there is a limited public bus system which you could get from the Queen Ka'ahumanu shopping center (about 1 mile/20 minute walk).

Here's a link to the Maui County website with bus info & from there you can view the bus schedules & routes:

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/605/Bus-Service-Information

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for all the input. This is just the one stop I haven't planned anything for yet and wasn't sure what to do.

It's great that you asked before arriving - I'm sure that some people think that because it's Hawaii, you can't go wrong staying within walking distance of the port. Their impression of the island would certainly be different than those who ventured out to see some of the highlights.

Thanks for all the input. This is just the one stop I haven't planned anything for yet and wasn't sure what to do.

Kanaha Beach Park has kitesurfing areas & checking Google Maps it's about 2 miles & a 40 minute walk. I've only briefly stopped there so not sure if it's a good beach option although being a kitesurfing area it will be windy. ;)

I checked outed the 101 things to do in Maui website, thanks for suggesting it. There are a lot of idea's there. Now we just have to decide on one. We have a long day there so we should have plenty of time which is nice.

Kanaha Beach Park has kitesurfing areas & checking Google Maps it's about 2 miles & a 40 minute walk. I've only briefly stopped there so not sure if it's a good beach option although being a kitesurfing area it will be windy. ;)

You will be beat to death by the wind most days....sand blasted!

You will be beat to death by the wind most days....sand blasted!

Thanks for confirming what I thought could be the situation.

It's why we avoid Sugar Beach (another kitesurfing beach between North Kihei & Ma'alaea) and why we go to our South Maui beaches early before the winds usually kick up in the afternoon.

Do note that walking there might not be the best idea, as parts of the area have been known to be home to what might be called a transient population.

Do note that walking there might not be the best idea, as parts of the area have been known to be home to what might be called a transient population.

Thanks...it was the only beach I could think of that could be within walking distance if the OP was not renting a car...something I previously posted was the best option. ;)