Private Tour Recommendations For Mediterranean Cruise

Hello,

I am seeking advice from those that have booked and taken private tours in the ports listed below.

My family (3 kids- ages 16, 13, and 10) just booked the Royal Caribbean Independence Italian Mediterranean cruise.

We have the following stops:

Gibraltar- 6 hours in port

Nice- 8 hours in port

Rome- 12 hours in port

Florence- 12 hours in port

Provence/Toulon- 9 hours in port

Malaga- 7 hours in port

Lisbon- 7 hours in port

Thanks for reading.

Yes, you should absolutely check out the Europe Ports of Call board - there are individual forums and this has been discussed many times. You can read the threads, make your notes, do research, and re-post on each board if you wish.

Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 <--Europe boards, click here

Hello,

I am seeking advice from those that have booked and taken private tours in the ports listed below.

My family (3 kids- ages 16, 13, and 10) just booked the Royal Caribbean Independence Italian Mediterranean cruise.

We have the following stops:

Gibraltar- 6 hours in port

Nice- 8 hours in port

Rome- 12 hours in port

Florence- 12 hours in port

Provence/Toulon- 9 hours in port

Malaga- 7 hours in port

Lisbon- 7 hours in port

Thanks for reading.

We saved our money and did Gibraltar on our own. Purchased our tickets online before leaving home and took the tram up to see the monkeys. It's about a 15 minute walk to the pier and very doable.

In Rome, we used Rome in Limo. The guides with RIL are very informative and friendly. We have used them a few times and they will cater to what you want to see, plus get you to the front of the line at the sights. Highly recommend them.

Florence we ended up taking a RCCL excursion since we were worried about time. It's a long bus ride to Florence and you never know how the traffic is going to be.

In Malaga we used We heart Malaga and did a walking tour with food. One of our favorite tours on our trip!

A number of years ago we were faced with a choice in Rome either take a ship shore excursion or a private tour. We chose the private tour with Rome In Limo. The two couples shared a brand new and clean Mercedes SUV. Our driver knew all of the best ways to see Rome, to find parking and get us to out-of-the-way places. In one day we saw about twice as much as the ship shore excursion would cover. We walked into the coliseum with tickets that he got in advance. We were given a choice of lunch stops and asked for a casual Italian meal. So we dined at a small place within the Vatican area where we were the only tourists. While Vincenzo was not a licensed guide within the sites we chose to see, he was very knowledgable about his city. And we could have added a guide at additional cost, but we chose not to do this.

There was no way that we could have seen as much, added in stops and gotten personal attention if we did not use this company. We got back to our ship in plenty of time. I do not remember the cost which was fairly high, but it was well worth it. Had we been 3 couples we would have benefitted from a lower overall cost.

A number of years ago we were faced with a choice in Rome either take a ship shore excursion or a private tour. We chose the private tour with Rome In Limo. The two couples shared a brand new and clean Mercedes SUV. Our driver knew all of the best ways to see Rome, to find parking and get us to out-of-the-way places. In one day we saw about twice as much as the ship shore excursion would cover. We walked into the coliseum with tickets that he got in advance. We were given a choice of lunch stops and asked for a casual Italian meal. So we dined at a small place within the Vatican area where we were the only tourists. While Vincenzo was not a licensed guide within the sites we chose to see, he was very knowledgable about his city. And we could have added a guide at additional cost, but we chose not to do this.

There was no way that we could have seen as much, added in stops and gotten personal attention if we did not use this company. We got back to our ship in plenty of time. I do not remember the cost which was fairly high, but it was well worth it. Had we been 3 couples we would have benefitted from a lower overall cost.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant?

Thanks.

John

We are used this company twice, we had a fantastic time with them. We also visited Florence and Rome. They booked tickets for our visit to the Vacitcan. They will work with you so you can a tour that you will never forget.

They also reply to your emails promptly.

http://www.excursionsinitaly.com/.

Also we have used this company when we visited Monte Carlo

Hope this helps you.

John

We have booked 3 trips with this company Cruisingexcursions.com we travel in May so we have not used this company yet. But they get good and bad reviews looking on CC.

Hi Mark,

I do not think you will be disappointed with you tours. In fact the owner Daniele drove us when we were in Rome.

Oona was very helpful and I rate them very highly.

John

It's a lot of work to check out all the separate boards for each location, but you find the best recommendations for guides and sites to visit that way.

In the Nice area, we used Sylvie di Cristo and had a wonderful day touring the area including a local shopping market where we picked up a picnic lunch and then ate at a winery overlooking the vineyards before going in for a tasting. I also had my 11 yr old with me so we simply wondered the vineyards while the rest of our party enjoyed the tasting.

For our 3 Italian ports, we choose to use Rome in Limo, and had great drivers/guides for each stop as well. We also added a guide in Pompeii which really made a difference in our experience and understanding of what life must have been life back in the day.

Good luck with your planning and have a great cruise.

We have booked 3 trips with this company Cruisingexcursions.com we travel in May so we have not used this company yet. But they get good and bad reviews looking on CC.

We've used them for two excursions. Each time their price was about half the ships tour price and the tour company running it was the same (shows how much of a cut the cruise line get). Everything worked like clockwork and we would use them again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For Lisbon, here's the company we used for a tuk tuk tour:

URL: http://www.ecotuktours.com

Phone: +351 914 925 450

Email: info@ecotuktours.com

We did "Old Town Lisbon"

In Gibraltar there was a group of about 8 of us used this company (and I think this was the tour we did):

http://gibraltar-rock-tours.com/package/private-extended-tour-b/

Highly recommend both companies - picked us up from the port, dropped us back again in plenty of time, very informative guides.