Another Terrorist Attack In Turkey

curtdesilets

http://news.yahoo.com/two-us-citizens-killed-istanbul-suicide-blast-white-210238693.html

We were in Istanbul a few years ago. I know a number of cruise lines are pulling out of Turkey over safety concerns. Any word on where Oceania stands on visiting turkey?

it truly is a shame, as the history and culture of this country are well worth the experience. I think the world has a MAJOR problem curtailing this epidemic.

:mad::mad::mad:

http://news.yahoo.com/two-us-citizens-killed-istanbul-suicide-blast-white-210238693.html

We were in Istanbul a few years ago. I know a number of cruise lines are pulling out of Turkey over safety concerns. Any word on where Oceania stands on visiting turkey?

I believe they have pulled out of stops in Turkey for 2016

Cruise Lines cannot afford to have any of their passengers in harm's way, and generally lean to the cautious, or perhaps over-cautious side.

For instance, Mazatlan had some drug cartel issues a few years ago and was essentially black-listed by most Cruise Lines.

We were just there in January, and they have cleaned up their act to the point that the cruise lines are gradually returning.

Turkey however has a much bigger problem on their hands. I would imagine much of Europe has the same problem. The #1 Fugitive in Europe that was just caught is now sitting in a jail in Bruges, Belgium tonight. Not quite the Europe that I remember. Separating the Europe that is in the brochures and in our memories from what it is becoming is a tough matter.

That being said, the chances of actually dying in a terrorist attack while travelling are still extremely low.

Edited by curtdesilets

Interesting post by Pinotlover on another thread regarding the delay in 2017 itineraries:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49423795&postcount=15

It seems like Istanbul is a "no win" issue for itinerary design....less demand and slow sales if included and cancellations if it is removed later.

True. However while the chance of being struck by lightning is also low it increases when you go out on a golf course with metal clubs.

In essence, that is what happened. Tripadvisor local experts were warning of potential problems around this time in that specific area:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k9354316-March_20_21_celebrations_and_terror_alert-Istanbul.html

Our tour guide while we were touring Turkey this past October, said that most of the attacks are internal and that certain areas of Ankara and Istanbul should be avoided. While we were there he told us to stay away from Taksim Square and the surrounding streets. He said that the Kurds were very unhappy with the current administration. He also said he hoped that they would use cooler heads would prevail so that tourism would not be affected in Turkey, as Turkey depends on tourism for their economy.

We feel fortunate that we have been to Ephesus twice and Istanbul once. An Israel/Jordan trip a couple of years ago was great, but we had to cut out Egypt. :( Perhaps one day we will get the chance to go back, but for now, we are not interested in going back.

Paris, France is a different story. We have been once, and will be back in the area in May. Also going to Brussels!

Oceania gave us the option in February of cancelling our cruise that was to depart from Istanbul (it now departs from Athens). Sadly, Istanbul was why we chose that particular cruise and thankfully we had not booked our airline tickets yet. We decided to travel on the new itinerary rather than try to find a different cruise.

This happened to us in 2004 when Princess elected not to sail to Istanbul at that point, though they did add Kusadasi at that time. Someday I'll get to visit Turkey.

Cheers, K

Blessings to the folks and families affected by yet another terrorist attack.

My travel plans are on hold.

Last week, the Celebrity Solstice would not stop at Bali due to terrorism concerns. Now Istanbul due to terrorism.

In Toronto last week a terrorist knife attacked two staff at an armed forces recruiting office. The Toronto airport was put on alert.

These 3 locations are very high on my travel priority list - all affected by what clearly is terrorism.

It is logical to assume there will be escalating costs and hassals required to implement even more counter-terrorism measures everywhere. All passed on to the traveling public.

Everyone has their own "tipping point". I am at mine.

Wish it were otherwise, but the benefits of travel are now outweighed by the cost and effort and hassals.

For folks who continue to dream and travel, I hope you have safe travels.

ABoatNerd

It really does not matter where the cruise line goes, if you do not want to go to those countries do not take the trip. We live in NY and my next two trips are RT from here to Bermuda and Canada. We go to enjoy the ship and time away.

Blessings to the folks and families affected by yet another terrorist attack.

My travel plans are on hold.

Last week, the Celebrity Solstice would not stop at Bali due to terrorism concerns. Now Istanbul due to terrorism.

In Toronto last week a terrorist knife attacked two staff at an armed forces recruiting office. The Toronto airport was put on alert.

These 3 locations are very high on my travel priority list - all affected by what clearly is terrorism.

It is logical to assume there will be escalating costs and hassals required to implement even more counter-terrorism measures everywhere. All passed on to the traveling public.

Everyone has their own "tipping point". I am at mine.

Wish it were otherwise, but the benefits of travel are now outweighed by the cost and effort and hassals.

For folks who continue to dream and travel, I hope you have safe travels.

ABoatNerd

It is the world we live in now, and we have to make our own choices as to what is good for us and where we feel it is O.K. to travel. We are going to Spain and Italy in July and hope we are making the right decision. I guess time will tell.

It's become obvious that the terrorists can hit wherever they want. It's much easier to be proactive about where to attack strangers than it is to be reactive in terms of preventing the attack. We can no longer assume that certain areas are always going to be safe.

That doesn't mean I'm going to stop traveling. At least not yet. Yes, I'm eliminating Turkey from my plans for the near future (and Turkey is one of our favorite destinations). But I'm not going to eliminate every place that has already been hit. Living in NYC, we're used to the threat.

Mura

That doesn't mean I'm going to stop traveling.... But I'm not going to eliminate every place that has already been hit. Living in NYC, we're used to the threat.

Mura

Me, either. But lately I've had passing thoughts that here (Israel) might actually be one of the safest places nowadays :-0. (Can you really ever get used to the threat??!! What a sad state the world is in...)

I was looking at train tickets last night for a day trip from Amsterdam to Brussels during our pre-cruise stay in May. Ironically, my thoughts were on a future attack after reading that the leader of the Paris attacks was apprehended and ammunition, etc. were found in the apartment - clear that another attack was being planned. Little did I know it would happen a few hours later.

I called DH this morning to tell him about the Brussels attack and asked if he still wanted to continue with our plans. His response..."of course, isn't that what you want to do?" Yes, at the moment, we will continue with our plans. DH did ask if our insurance covered terrorist attacks. That I do not know.

Praying for those involved in the attacks. Peace to all those killed. :(

I thought about you this morning when I first heard the reports from Brussels. I hope you have a great time whatever you end up doing in Belgium. I echo your sympathies to the victims, of course.

Mura

I was looking at train tickets last night for a day trip from Amsterdam to Brussels during our pre-cruise stay in May. Ironically, my thoughts were on a future attack after reading that the leader of the Paris attacks was apprehended and ammunition, etc. were found in the apartment - clear that another attack was being planned. Little did I know it would happen a few hours later.

I called DH this morning to tell him about the Brussels attack and asked if he still wanted to continue with our plans. His response..."of course, isn't that what you want to do?" Yes, at the moment, we will continue with our plans. DH did ask if our insurance covered terrorist attacks. That I do not know.

Praying for those involved in the attacks. Peace to all those killed. :(

I would re think this. Give things a little time to settle down.

I thought about you this morning when I first heard the reports from Brussels. I hope you have a great time whatever you end up doing in Belgium. I echo your sympathies to the victims, of course.

Mura

I would re think this. Give things a little time to settle down.

Rethink what? We still plan to go into Belgium, but I think that instead of going to Brussels, we will just go as far as Antwerp. We will see. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

Rethink what? We still plan to go into Belgium, but I think that instead of going to Brussels, we will just go as far as Antwerp. We will see. :)

Antwerp is a great idea...it's a wonderful city, has a bit more charm and the Flemish area of Belgium might be less on edge.

I guess you are re thinking Brussels which is a good idea at least for now. I would do the same. Whatever you do stay safe.

Since O isn't releasing its Summer - Fall 2017 schedule until 4/6, I wonder if they'll take the time now to eliminate Brugge from the schedule?

Don't know, but at some point with what is happening in the world they will leave Miami for 14 days on a cruise to nowhere and then return to Miami. And all the other cruise lines will do the same thing. Quite a sad world we are living in now.