First time cruise - should I use a Travel agent or go it alone?

Woodsie1

Hi, we have decided to go on our first cruise (very excited even though not until next June!). There will be me, my husband and our 2 children who will be 13 and 17. We decided to do something different (without breaking the bank too much) as we will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next year. We have done lots of research and think we are going to go with RCI. My husbands dates are fixed so we are looking at the 12 night Canaries cruise from Southampton (To keep costs lower with no flights).

I guess our next step is booking - will a travel agent or an on line agent give us any additional deals to what going direct can.

Thanks in advance

Hi, we have decided to go on our first cruise (very excited even though not until next June!). There will be me, my husband and our 2 children who will be 13 and 17. We decided to do something different (without breaking the bank too much) as we will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next year. We have done lots of research and think we are going to go with RCI. My husbands dates are fixed so we are looking at the 12 night Canaries cruise from Southampton (To keep costs lower with no flights).

I guess our next step is booking - will a travel agent or an on line agent give us any additional deals to what going direct can.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your first cruise.

I would highly recommend a good travel agent, especially one who knows the cruise line you intend to sail on. While you can go it alone, the travel agent can provide recommendations based on your needs and objectives.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We always use a TA. We get the cruise 6-8% cheaper than through the cruise line.

Reminder about posting TA referrals.

Travel Agent Recommendations

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in content) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Thanks in advance

For a first timer I would recommend using a travel agent. I'm about to go on my 30th cruise and I use a travel agent.

We booked our first (Hurtigruten) cruise through a brick and mortar store in town who specializes in "high end" travel (their words, not mine). Really? We could just as well have booked ourselves. We arranged our own flights and overnights, all they did was book the cruise and send us the travel documents. They were very friendly and provided a glass of sparkling wine after booking.

Our next two cruises were booked though an online travel agency who specializes in cruises. For the first we received a small on-board credit but they also took care of all communication with the cruise line (one price drop, one upgrade to a higher category guarantee which according to the booking regulations for us, not US, shouldn't really have been possible). The second was a too-good-to-be-true deal which was not available through the cruise line directly (no onboard credit but amazing deal).

They are lovely! Very professional, extremely friendly, reply quickly, are available on Sundays and after normal business hours. We thought we found our ta and would never stray.

We did. For this year and I couldn't be more unhappy.

We booked because the category we wanted (balcony) for the cruise we wanted was sold out everywhere else but the new ta obviously has a hold on a bunch of balcony staterooms. Plus it's a cruise and fly package that is cheaper than booking an oceanview today. Even with opening day prices (in the US) the flights have to be very reasonable (and we are flying Lufthansa).

They did communicate with us until we confirmed our hold. We paid the deposit by credit card - not even an automatic confirmation that they had received the details. No charge to the card. We called and were informed they'd eventually charge it. When the charged the card, again, no information. They don't have "the capacity" to send email confirmations (we just gave them $2000... they could at least have acknowledged it was received). For all I knew, the deposit wasn't paid and the trip has been cancelled. I asked about US immigration (transatlantic with two US territory ports). No reply. We did receive an email on Thursday that Royal was raising the automatic gratuities and if we wanted to prepay (so I guess they did receive the deposit...). I replied on Friday morning and haven't heard back yet. We also don't yet have our RC reservation number. If anything goes wrong, I really don't trust them to advocate for us. They are one of the top five cruise tas in this country...[/vent]

We are definitely going back to our old ta for all future cruises. And if just for the option of having them talk to the cruise line (I tend to be not pushy enough when asking for things, I also don't like to call people). But do we really need a travel agent? Naaa. Not for a 10% onboard credit (calculated based on the cheapest cabin category at the time of booking - if I pay 2.000+ Euros for two, a 70 Euro onboard credit is nice but not a reason to book with them).

Edited by Piggeldy

Whether you go through a travel agent or directly with the cruise line be sure to call in to ensure you are booking what you think you are booking. Do NOT book online.

Definitely do "mock bookings" (make all your selections, just don't purchase) to see room availability and get an idea on prices, etc. Then pick up the phone.

Our first cruise was our honeymoon cruise and I would have booked a room with bunk beds if I hadn't called in. :eek:

After you have been doing it awhile - whatever makes you happiest, but for at least cruise #1 call in so that you can be sure you understand what cruise rate you are booking (there can be 5 different ones for exact same room with different pros and cons), type of cabin, amenities, set up of bed, dining options, etc.