Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

I wonder how much of the deep cleaning etc goes on in non passenger areas of the ship. I also wonder if crew members who get sick are subject to the same quarantine as the passengers. The crew have 2, 3, and 4 to a room. If one is sick do all 4 stay in.

There has been nothing on the tables in any venue until you sit down. So that is not an issue since we went code red.

Sea day tomorrow. Hopefully we will be allowed into Grenada on Easter Sunday.

Glad they finally got some protocols in place ;) Good news :)

Can't say that was the case on our cruise.

I really hope they let you into Grenada. Good luck :)

I mentioned before that I have contacted Oceania, twice, and I know of others from our 2/12 cruise that have written. As far as I know, no one has received a reply.

I did too. a very well documented letter with places, times and dates, etc.

I did get a reply. I think you would call it a PFO letter.

I've never had a cruise line treat me that way.

I sent them back a reply, haven't heard and frankly, they should be hanging their heads in shame. The fact that they are giving some people lesser calibre of cruises and expecting them to pay the same fares is just not right. It's not the NORO, it's how it's handled, the poor service, the dried out food.

I have to take everyone's word for it that the food is good on this ship is good because other than 5 experiences, we just didn't get it. sorry. The price simply wasn't warranted and sadly O doesn't care.

Not a cruise line I want to be on if they don't care about your experience.

I'll either sail HAL or real luxury. any cruise line that cares. O doesn't.

I wonder how much of the deep cleaning etc goes on in non passenger areas of the ship. I also wonder if crew members who get sick are subject to the same quarantine as the passengers. The crew have 2, 3, and 4 to a room. If one is sick do all 4 stay in.

Very interesting question. Would love to call and ask that. If I get an email back from them, I will ask. Very doubtful they will tell the truth. I have felt from the beginning it is the crew, the food handlers and cabin cleaners and drink servers. Yes, the passenger can bring it onboard but the crew is not immune and probably not subject to the same restrictions the passengers are.

Passengers are really upset. One comment was from last weeks cruise. They contacted the CDC, so if you came off that cruise and became ill, you should also comment.http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/03/articles/norovirus/norovirus-on-the-oceania-riviera-again/

This website and person behind it have zero credibility. They give new meaning to the phrase "ambulance chaser".

If you really support him and his cause, you shouldn't be cruising at all because essentially you're supporting slave labor if you look into several of his "cases".

Edited by eroller

If the ship is the problem there would be hundreds of the passengers sick not just a few

Not all will be immune if you can even have an immunity to noro

Has anyone seen people leave the W/C without washing their hands??

time for me to move on

I'm with you 100%.

I'm sorry for the small minority that have become ill, but this could happen anywhere. Overall I feel cruise ships including RIVIERA are some of the cleanest environments around. There is far more cleaning going on around the clock than your local hotel, public restroom, or restaurant, that is for sure. I'm sure many of you would never dine again at some of your favorite restaurants, or stay at your favorite hotels if you saw the back of house areas. Not exactly spotless like the galleys, public restrooms, and crew areas on cruise ships. Cruise ships are actually held to a higher standard and generally all cruise lines do a great job keeping ships spotless and healthy. No cruise line wants illness onboard. It's bad for the cruise line and also the industry in general. This is why almost all follow the same general cleanliness standards and take immediate action when illness becomes prevalent.

I also can't help but think there are those (and I'm am not saying anyone on this thread) that are doing everything in their power to discredit Oceania and its crew to prove negligence with the sole intent of receiving compensation. Good luck with that. Based on my experience with Oceania I feel they have done everything in their power to take action and prevent illness, including taking the ship out of service for two days. Unfortunately the cycle can easily start again when ill passengers board the ship on its next turnaround day. Some may not even know they are ill because symptoms don't show up right away. Others probably know they are, but for selfish reasons won't disclose it and in not doing so put everyone else at risk. Does this surprise me? No because we live in a rather selfish society.

Nuff said.

We embarked the Riviera in Barcelona last November. When the Noro outbreak started mid Atlantic (or even before) I questioned a senior officer as to why there was no emphasis made on the hand sanitizing while in the Mediterranean - his response was "we do not have to follow the CDC while in Europe" An interesting response for sure.

I'm told that the CDC has no jurisdiction in the Mediterranean for cruises not headed to a US port. The Riviera will sail on April 11 for Barcelona and then will spend the summer in the Mediterranean. Could it be that Oceania's strategy is to run out the clock until they're out of the jurisdiction of the CDC, and won't have to do any more embarrassing reporting or compulsory cleaning? Sure, maybe they'll continue to make an effort, but they'll no longer be under the microscope. All will be forgotten.

Here's another oddity: The current cruise is due to limp back into Miami on April 3. There doesn't seem to be another voyage scheduled until the transatlantic departure on April 11. What is on the schedule for the intervening 8 days? Just asking.

Based on my experience with Oceania I feel they have done everything in their power to take action and prevent illness, including taking the ship out of service for two days. Unfortunately the cycle can easily start again when ill passengers board the ship on its next turnaround day. Some may not even know they are ill because symptoms don't show up right away. Others probably know they are, but for selfish reasons won't disclose it and in not doing so put everyone else at risk. Does this surprise me? No because we live in a rather selfish society.

Nuff said.

Sorry, i have to disagree. Oceania may be trying hard, but it is not working. The odds of four outbreaks occurring on a single ship in a 5-month period are infinitesimal. There are no coincidences. Something is causing these recurrences. We don't know what. But as long as it keeps happening, we have NO confidence that things will improve.

This is personal to me. I board this ship in less than two months, and I am not happy.

I'm told that the CDC has no jurisdiction in the Mediterranean for cruises not headed to a US port. The Riviera will sail on April 11 for Barcelona and then will spend the summer in the Mediterranean. Could it be that Oceania's strategy is to run out the clock until they're out of the jurisdiction of the CDC, and won't have to do any more embarrassing reporting or compulsory cleaning? Sure, maybe they'll continue to make an effort, but they'll no longer be under the microscope. All will be forgotten.

Here's another oddity: The current cruise is due to limp back into Miami on April 3. There doesn't seem to be another voyage scheduled until the transatlantic departure on April 11. What is on the schedule for the intervening 8 days? Just asking.

It could be chartered. We sailed Celebrity over Thanksgiving last year, the following cruise was chartered by "bliss". Anyone wanna take a guess? Yep, it was a swingers cruise...Thank god it was after ours.....

We're sailing Riviera in June, hopefully O will have their stuff together by then. I assume the CDC could hold the ship in port and force Oceania's hand before the ship heads to the Med.

Edited by CB BOARDER

Conspiracy theories seem to continue ... I don't deny that Oceania has a problem here that hasn't been properly addressed. But do you really think that management would try to push it under the rug in this fashion? I for one don't. While most passengers (or potential passengers) are not on CC, this kind of news does get around. I seriously doubt management would think that "all would be forgotten" if we are just out of the CDC's jurisdiction.

This doesn't make me a cheerleader! But I'm sure that Oceania management wants to fix this problem just as much as the passengers do. So far it hasn't worked ...

It's obvious from comments here that people on the affected cruises are very unhappy (no, I don't blame them!) ... and new passengers are most likely much less willing to be "forgiving" than those of us who have sailed very happily on Oceania since its inception. If management tries to ignore the situation, they will just lose new passengers ... they need them, given the increasing age of the loyalists.

Mura

It is not a ship problem. Norovirius on a ship is just easy to spot and document and CDC makes them report it. Norovirius on the shopping buggy or the taxi seat or even the airplane -- crowd disperses each to their own place where they get sick in lonely misery! Keep your immune system strong, your hands clean, and say a prayer it is not your turn to be King of the Throne.

Exactly! Repeating it's a "sick ship" is really getting old. It's not the ship. We can pick apart why this problem has resurfaced so many times in the past few months, but we were on the 2/22 cruise directly following the major clean and were on Code Red for 72 hours. As a result, no Noro on that 10 day cruise (nor, I believe, the one following).

Someone said here that they never hear of Noro anywhere but on cruise ships, but as said above the reason we don't hear about it is people disperse, get sick, call it a bug, call it food poisoning or whatever and that's that. Just last week I heard of a Noro outbreak in a school.

While it's reasonable to believe that a larger ship with more passengers is more likely to have such an outbreak, why then wouldn't we hear of it happening constantly on these behomoth ships like Oasis and Allure? ... or possible they are so huge they never get to 3% before it's time for everyone to get off!!

Who knows? It's just such a shame and I feel so badly for those on Riviera now. I don't expect a charter group about to get on are very thrilled at this point if they even know. I don't agree with those here who criticize Oceania; I didn't experience anything close to what I read. I'm happy to read posts here by people onboard right now who are making the best of it and enjoying their cruise as much as they can.

Conspiracy theories seem to continue ... I don't deny that Oceania has a problem here that hasn't been properly addressed. But do you really think that management would try to push it under the rug in this fashion? I for one don't. While most passengers (or potential passengers) are not on CC, this kind of news does get around. I seriously doubt management would think that "all would be forgotten" if we are just out of the CDC's jurisdiction.

This doesn't make me a cheerleader! But I'm sure that Oceania management wants to fix this problem just as much as the passengers do. So far it hasn't worked ...

It's obvious from comments here that people on the affected cruises are very unhappy (no, I don't blame them!) ... and new passengers are most likely much less willing to be "forgiving" than those of us who have sailed very happily on Oceania since its inception. If management tries to ignore the situation, they will just lose new passengers ... they need them, given the increasing age of the loyalists.

Mura

Sorry, I do think O has a hand on this and especially the staff of Riviera. The posts that have been made by the people on board reflect what I saw.

No supervision - no guidance, etc. At least 10 crew members I saw kept wiping the same spot over and over and over again as they didn't know what else to do (at least I hope that was the reason)

Exactly! Repeating it's a "sick ship" is really getting old. It's not the ship. We can pick apart why this problem has resurfaced so many times in the past few months, but we were on the 2/22 cruise directly following the major clean and were on Code Red for 72 hours. As a result, no Noro on that 10 day cruise (nor, I believe, the one following).

Someone said here that they never hear of Noro anywhere but on cruise ships, but as said above the reason we don't hear about it is people disperse, get sick, call it a bug, call it food poisoning or whatever and that's that. Just last week I heard of a Noro outbreak in a school.

While it's reasonable to believe that a larger ship with more passengers is more likely to have such an outbreak, why then wouldn't we hear of it happening constantly on these behomoth ships like Oasis and Allure? ... or possible they are so huge they never get to 3% before it's time for everyone to get off!!

Who knows? It's just such a shame and I feel so badly for those on Riviera now. I don't expect a charter group about to get on are very thrilled at this point if they even know. I don't agree with those here who criticize Oceania; I didn't experience anything close to what I read. I'm happy to read posts here by people onboard right now who are making the best of it and enjoying their cruise as much as they can.

Really Heather? How long do we keep blaming the passengers for this? It's been going on since November.

From what I saw of the crew on our cruise (in November). They weren't interested, didn't care and we're going through motions.

Sorry, but I disagree vehemently. I was onboard for 14 days and saw what I saw. I have also seen what O does with a simple letter and I am NOT impressed. I don't disagree often but on this I feel very strongly. the cruise that was the most expensive ever was the one DH couldn't wait to get off the ship and it wasn't the NORO -it was the service. I considered Celebrity the worst - O just made the list and for the first time, DH completed his own mid ship survey and final survey. On the mid ship he asked to meet with the General Manager - totally ignored with a patent "all your concerns have been addressed" yeah right:rolleyes::rolleyes:

On a cruise where it is all smooth probably O is fine but when they have problems I have NEVER seen things handled so badly.

So it's not all bad news - we had a great day kayaking and snorkelling in Bonair - lovely place - would have enjoyed more time here but the stores were closed (Good Friday) and the ship beckoned. The ship is being cleaned constantly and the staff are working their a**es off. We are simply going to enjoy the rest of our holiday to the fullest - no sense crying over spilled milk! Cheers !

So it's not all bad news - we had a great day kayaking and snorkelling in Bonair - lovely place - would have enjoyed more time here but the stores were closed (Good Friday) and the ship beckoned. The ship is being cleaned constantly and the staff are working their a**es off. We are simply going to enjoy the rest of our holiday to the fullest - no sense crying over spilled milk! Cheers !

So glad you were able to get to Bonaire :)

Yes, Kazu .... "really". That's insulting. You obviously have a preference for HAL (though for the life of me I have no idea why). I will never board another HAL ship again in my lifetime. I have never seen a line deteriorate the way HAL has.

But that aside, you like them. So cruise with them. But you seem to delight in posting about your hatred for a cruise line that most of us here have come to love either recently or over many years.

You had a bad experience. That's unfortunate. But that does not negate the experience many of us have had over and over. And although you can't seem to grasp this, ships are not sick!! I don't blame the people who board and are ill because for the most part they have probably picked it up on an airline, bus or somewhere else. It's not their fault; I'm not "blaming" them. But that is how viruses are spread ... person to person.

I know what Oceania went through when they took every single solitary piece of furniture that wasn't bolted down off the ship and into the terminal for deep cleaning. The linens were all washed 3 times over. All the curtains were removed and cleaned. They then attacked the ship with a vengeance and there was no illness onboard for just about 3 weeks.

So seriously ... how do you honestly think Noro got back on board????

"I know what Oceania went through when they took every single solitary piece of furniture that wasn't bolted down off the ship and into the terminal for deep cleaning. The linens were all washed 3 times over. All the curtains were removed and cleaned. They then attacked the ship with a vengeance and there was no illness onboard for just about 3 weeks.

So seriously ... how do you honestly think Noro got back on board???? "..... And on we go .Boy , you make a convincing argument Heather .

It looks like you pays your money and takes your chances . If I were able to cancel ,I would . But traveling , to me is not such a thrill . It doesn't look like Oceana is allowing people to do that ( cancel ).A 14 day Trans Atlantic is a bit more daunting as you can't get off if worse comes to worse .And your way out .... I do appreciate your optimism . :eek::confused:

I am living with code red now and it has not taken away from a lively O cruise. The minor inconveniences, to me, just haven't been that big of a deal. I will happily travel with O any chance I get. The crew has been so accommodating, despite their being over worked.

I'm with you 100%.

I'm sorry for the small minority that have become ill, but this could happen anywhere. Overall I feel cruise ships including RIVIERA are some of the cleanest environments around. There is far more cleaning going on around the clock than your local hotel, public restroom, or restaurant, that is for sure. I'm sure many of you would never dine again at some of your favorite restaurants, or stay at your favorite hotels if you saw the back of house areas. Not exactly spotless like the galleys, public restrooms, and crew areas on cruise ships. Cruise ships are actually held to a higher standard and generally all cruise lines do a great job keeping ships spotless and healthy. No cruise line wants illness onboard. It's bad for the cruise line and also the industry in general. This is why almost all follow the same general cleanliness standards and take immediate action when illness becomes prevalent.

I also can't help but think there are those (and I'm am not saying anyone on this thread) that are doing everything in their power to discredit Oceania and its crew to prove negligence with the sole intent of receiving compensation. Good luck with that. Based on my experience with Oceania I feel they have done everything in their power to take action and prevent illness, including taking the ship out of service for two days. Unfortunately the cycle can easily start again when ill passengers board the ship on its next turnaround day. Some may not even know they are ill because symptoms don't show up right away. Others probably know they are, but for selfish reasons won't disclose it and in not doing so put everyone else at risk. Does this surprise me? No because we live in a rather selfish society.

Nuff said.

Just wondering. -were you on any of these cruises.

I personally have no desire to discredit O, do I think they handled it well? NO.

More importantly did I get the "cuisine at sea " they advertise? NO.

You cannot continue to pass the blame on to discontented passengers nor to passengers boarding.

I was on a sailing and saw the protocols. As you said "Nuff said"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kazu

This website and person behind it have zero credibility. They give new meaning to the phrase "ambulance chaser".

If you really support him and his cause, you shouldn't be cruising at all because essentially you're supporting slave labor if you look into several of his "cases".

Yes, I am well aware of what the site is. And, no, I do not support the site. :mad: Another posted pointed out a new article about the Noro on the Riviera. I didn't even read the article, but did check out the comments. I wanted to point out that there was a previous passenger that posted to this article that they had also become sick on the same evening like several on this thread. That person reported to the CDC, and I think those that became ill after the cruise should all report.

If you saw a man in a parking lot screaming at kids, would you intervene and admonish him to back off?

If you saw a store manager reaming out staff, would you step up and - friendly but firmly - tell him/her to knock it off?

I say this respectful of the above two posters. Yes, this was rude behavior BUT... why would you not intervene & say "your tone and attitude to this woman is not appropriate nor helpful. If you have a complaint, talk to management. But don't attack her in front of us."

I don't see what your purpose is to post on CC aside from "tsk tsk we saw a rude guest." It would have been far more constructive for both of you to have made a simple effort at the time to reduce the tension and hopefully stop his verbal assault.

Rather then recounting a sad tale anonymously, letting all of us know YOU stepped up to admonish a guest that was out of control would be much more productive.

Speaking of being anonymous, at least you can see where I am from and also see that I am an experienced "O" cruiser. And also currently on board Riviera.

As I said in my post there was a Supervisor involved along with the waitress. They were managing the situation and my interference would only have made things worse. I can assure you I am not backward in coming forward and intervening if the situation requires it. I am merely expressing my opinion.

Those that know me on this forum know this about me. I am not exactly anonymous to regular "O" posters. Good night.

Yes, crew are subject to the same quarantine procedures as passengers. If one is sick with an illness and they need to be isolated, their cabin mate also is isolated. I just popped out into the corridor near my cabin and asked our cabin attendant who has been with "O" several years.

On "O" ships crew are only 1 or 2 to a cabin depending on their position.(Per another crew member).

Note: it is 11pm and they are still working/cleaning away. Not good when they started at 7am. No rest time for them nor any shore time for them again today.:(

Yes, Kazu .... "really". That's insulting. You obviously have a preference for HAL (though for the life of me I have no idea why). I will never board another HAL ship again in my lifetime. I have never seen a line deteriorate the way HAL has.

But that aside, you like them. So cruise with them. But you seem to delight in posting about your hatred for a cruise line that most of us here have come to love either recently or over many years.

You had a bad experience. That's unfortunate. But that does not negate the experience many of us have had over and over. And although you can't seem to grasp this, ships are not sick!! I don't blame the people who board and are ill because for the most part they have probably picked it up on an airline, bus or somewhere else. It's not their fault; I'm not "blaming" them. But that is how viruses are spread ... person to person.

I know what Oceania went through when they took every single solitary piece of furniture that wasn't bolted down off the ship and into the terminal for deep cleaning. The linens were all washed 3 times over. All the curtains were removed and cleaned. They then attacked the ship with a vengeance and there was no illness onboard for just about 3 weeks.

Really Heather??

I have to say I am disappointed as I have had the utmost respect for you.

I'm sorry, but there are more ways to spread Noro than just the passengers and I am glad they stepped up the game for your cruise.

it's not a matter of what cruise line I prefer and we obviously have to decide which one to move to next because I surely won't make the mistake of paying the $$$ we did on this one and having no response on board and little caring from the home office.

Think what you want, my goal is always to have a great cruise. When you leave to specialty dining restaurants because you have waited over 45 minutes it's not good. Sorry. To make it up we were given a new reservation to Toscana. We watched as the waiters fussed to change table cloths, settings etc. (Right in front of us) and ignored our dirty dishes. Sorry I do a better job at home.

I think CC is about expressing all opinions and experiences and that's mine. Like it or lump it, there is no animosity intended nor did I say we will sail HAL forever, what I did say is that the Prinsendam could teach the Rivera a thing or two based on MY sailing.

Flame away. I spent my $ just like you do. I think I should have had the same experience.

Actually I left the ship thinking., if this had a blue hull with good HAL crew (or alternate) it would have been a great cruise. Rooms are fabulous. Crew, debatable. Service??? A toss of the coin. Cheers and may all your cruises be wonderful :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heather, I am not sure (and I do not know) if your assertion above is correct. Perhaps there were cases but the numbers during that period simply were not high enough to meet the CDC reporting threshold.

On our February 12 cruise we went from a Tuesday announcement that the Noro onboard was decreasing with no further information provided until Thursday's announcement that things were so serious that we were returning two days early to Miami!

Edited by CintiPam

Maybe If O handled Noro the way Crystal historically has there would be less unhappiness. If you are confined to your cabin by Noro, Crystal rebates you the per diem cost in shipboard credits. Maybe if O followed that policy there would be a lot less complaining.