Crazy Transatlantic Prices

gordylad

When looking at October 2016 and April 2017 Transatlantic cruises the costs are ridiculous. There are no perks available yet Celebrity are pricing these cruises in a similar way to other cruises.

I remember when transatlantic's were attractive but not any longer [unless you are in a position to wait until the last minute].............

Not sure exactly to what you refer, but Veranda cabins last year were $1699 on the Equinox and $100 more on the web site for next year. The price started dropping steadily and the last group sold for $699 about 10 days ago.

Have never seen perks on TA cruises. Only shareholder rebate or on board booking allowance. We got the equivalent of about $550 for a couple booking on board the year before for 2016.

When looking at October 2016 and April 2017 Transatlantic cruises the costs are ridiculous. There are no perks available yet Celebrity are pricing these cruises in a similar way to other cruises.

I remember when transatlantic's were attractive but not any longer [unless you are in a position to wait until the last minute]

I completely agree. As one of those retired types who can (and does) wait till the last minute, I have enjoyed some absolutely incredible deals on my last 8 Celebrity transatlantic cruises. (and a couple of transpacific cruises as well) :o

I know Celebrity is (a subsidiary of) a publicly held corporation that is in business to make a profit... but I have a problem with the methods by which they are doing it. (even though I personally benefit from those methods) :(

I can absolutely guarantee that 50 weeks from right now, the price for those 13 or 14 night April transatlantic cruises will have plummeted in price from where they are now ($1199pp) to something very close to the $359pp for the Silhouette, and $404pp for the Equinox, that was available just a very few days ago. :eek:

As long as some people start booking a year (or more) in advance at ridiculously high prices, those prices will not come down. I would THINK that the hate and discontent generated by HUGE price drops after final payment would be counterproductive for Celebrity. Apparently, that is not the case. :rolleyes:

It seems the vast majority of cruisers will pay whatever price is listed, and are either completely unaware or uncaring, (because they are not on cruise critic?) of price drops that they can take advantage of before final payment, or the even crazier ones that REGULARLY take place after final payment.

As long as that situation is the norm, I will gladly continue to enjoy cruising Celebrity for $40pp per night... and even $30pp per night.

Edited by teecee60

No perks on repositioning. But book 2 months out for best$$$

If you were on a TA last Fall, they offered free gratuities for buying a certificate to purchase a TA in 2017. That's close to $375 + 100 OBC. We'll have to wait and see if we can use the shareholders credit on top of that.

Not sure exactly to what you refer, but Veranda cabins last year were $1699 on the Equinox and $100 more on the web site for next year. The price started dropping steadily and the last group sold for $699 about 10 days ago.

Have never seen perks on TA cruises. Only shareholder rebate or on board booking allowance. We got the equivalent of about $550 for a couple booking on board the year before for 2016.

If you want perks try Royal caribbean,

We have Premium drinks included in our Upcoming TA, by booking early,

currently prices are higher than we paid for similar category

We received complimentary gratuities from Celebrity, when we booked onboard last year. We've taken nine Transatlantics, and this was the first time Celebrity offered the grats, as well as the onboard booking incentive. So it can happen.

If you want perks try Royal caribbean,

We have Premium drinks included in our Upcoming TA, by booking early,

currently prices are higher than we paid for similar category

THAT is interesting!!

I remember when transatlantic's were attractive but not any longer [unless you are in a position to wait until the last minute].............

I posted similar to this and all the apologists blasted me!

These all drop significantly usually at some point but the cruises you are talking about are the most expensive I have ever seen on Celebrity. I am on the Constellation TA next Saturday and the prices dropped for an inside to $499 before final payment. Be patient, prices will drop. I have been on 3 TA's the last four years and haven't paid more than $800 yet.

If you were on a TA last Fall, they offered free gratuities for buying a certificate to purchase a TA in 2017. That's close to $375 + 100 OBC. We'll have to wait and see if we can use the shareholders credit on top of that.

Yes, but this " nice" offer came with much higher price and time limit to book.

We end up booking a TA for 2017 fall because we wanted 4 specific AQ cabins.

But will see if prices will be coming down. So far I haven't seen much of the drop for AQ fall TAs. Like you said shareholder's OBC will be nice. X might not allow it since they added gratuity to a deal... Will have to check..

Edited by ISABELLA

Who cares what the launch fares are? [unless you live outside North America, which only one poster on this thread indicates.] Book early and grab your favorite cabin, then ride the prices down and get your TA to get you the lower fare every time. If Celebrity manages to sell enough cabins that they don't need to cut fares -- either accept the deal you had or cancel before final payment. Why shouldn't Celebrity try for the best return they can get, and only bow to soft demand when necessary?

TAs get reduced late; usually 6 weeks out or so then back up on Celebrity.SpringsTAs were lowest in years.But for a short time only.

That's true....we booked Reflection TA for next month the day it came available back in Nov. 2014.....watched prices do nothing but skyrocket for more than a year and then drop like a rock after final payment......although from what I've read on our roll call some with a certain travel agency were able to book at original prices during summer 2015...but outside of them the prices were incredibly high......shoot an A1 at one point was listed at over $3500 per person ... more than double the original fare........after final payment it was selling for less than half of that.....

Wish we could wait that close to sail date to book....but that will have to wait till retirement....

Edited by Gracie115

Who cares what the launch fares are? [unless you live outside North America, which only one poster on this thread indicates.] Book early and grab your favorite cabin, then ride the prices down and get your TA to get you the lower fare every time. If Celebrity manages to sell enough cabins that they don't need to cut fares -- either accept the deal you had or cancel before final payment. Why shouldn't Celebrity try for the best return they can get, and only bow to soft demand when necessary?

Some do actually care.... Cancelling rules and fees are not the same for all of us. Made a comparision between a TA leaving 2017 and the one we made last year - booking more than one year in advance. The price had gone up 30%... And with these kind of prices without any perks added the Celebrity TA's are not interesting anymore.

I realize that the included perks on other cruises are one reason for higher prices but there are no such things on a TA.

Don't understand how X think it's better if people book on a higher price if they don't actually pay anyway?

But I will keep an eye on RCCL and HAL

The main reason why TA's are so popular is the pricing. If they make the pricing similar to Med or Caribbean cruises they will find quickly that it will be hard to sell cabins. However you are correct. Book the cabin you want and cancel before final payment if the price hasn't dropped. When I was on the Silhouette TA this past fall, many of us booked a 2017 TA because of the free gratuity deal but they had not readied the pricing yet. Needless to say most were SHOCKED when those prices were released a few weeks after our cruise ended. Double what we were expecting.

Sometimes you are lucky,

I booked the April 16 Equinox TA in April 15, and got the All IN deal.

Classic Drinks. Tips and $300 OBC Cost 1429 Euros for a C3.

Price is OK we have 3 Cabins booked.

Happy cruising

I book TAs when the scedhdules are released, and have watched them rise very quickly.

For some people waiting until the final month or so works for them, but it wouldn't work for me. I book specific cabins that would not be available if I waited.

My primary reason for booking TAs is because I hate long flights, coupled with the prices I have paid for the TAs is less than two business class flights would be.

We have the time, so traveling by ship is so much better than traveling by plane.

I too don't like long flights and also one of the reasons we like ta's.

One thing that does annoy me with Celebrity [cruise companies] is the way you are offered perks dependant on the country you live in. I've always found this very strange. It puts me in mind of an employers bonus system when sometimes only a quarter of the staff can be awarded a bonus while the other staff suffer.

Celebrity perks are like this. You can be sitting round a dining room table with 6 out of 10 people having a free drinks package just because the live in say Germany. We all pay top dollar for cruising so I'd like to be sorted.

The main reason why TA's are so popular is the pricing. If they make the pricing similar to Med or Caribbean cruises they will find quickly that it will be hard to sell cabins. However you are correct. Book the cabin you want and cancel before final payment if the price hasn't dropped. When I was on the Silhouette TA this past fall, many of us booked a 2017 TA because of the free gratuity deal but they had not readied the pricing yet. Needless to say most were SHOCKED when those prices were released a few weeks after our cruise ended. Double what we were expecting.

You and me both-----I was on the same sailing. Shocking price increase.

We end up booking after we got home, but I am watching pricing... Cabins are not selling to be this high..