Our first cruise

TnVolsFan13

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=TnVolsFan13&date=4-10-2016&text=Our very first cruise&ship=Carnival Ecstasy

We will be taking our very first cruise April 10 on Carnival Ecstasy out of Charelston. Is there any good tips or suggestions you all could offer a first time cruiser. It me my wife and our 2 kids age 6 and 14. Thanks in advance

1. Encourage the kids to participate in the kids programs. They'll have fun and you can get some alone time.

2. Your post doesn't say, but consider a 2nd room booking for the kids. Technically, you can't book it that way, but once on board, they don't care how you split up the rooms. Of course, they need to be near as in next door or across the hall.

3. Understand, you can't do everything. Find some Funtimes (many are shared on this board) for your ship so you can have some idea how to plan.

4. Don't overpack. Lot's of packing info can be found on this board.

5. Don't stress about the formal dinner -- business casual is fine AND easy.

6. Watch your spending unless you are rich :-). Our first family cruise -- well, let's just say it got away from us. Spent more on the boat than the fare.

7. Get to the "big" shows a little early because the best seating will fill up fast.

8. Do catch a sunset.

Charleston is a real easy port to sail out of. I would suggest for some great tips to go to the First Time Cruisers board and read through those. There are TONS of threads on this exact question with so many tips and tricks.

Biggest thing - make sure you have all the correct documentation in an easy to access folder along with email confirmations of everything. I've never had one issue, but always feel better knowing that if there was a question I have the document to show I purchased (etc.) the item.

Have a blast!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=TnVolsFan13&date=4-10-2016&text=Our very first cruise&ship=Carnival Ecstasy

We will be taking our very first cruise April 10 on Carnival Ecstasy out of Charelston. Is there any good tips or suggestions you all could offer a first time cruiser. It me my wife and our 2 kids age 6 and 14. Thanks in advance

The single largest tip I can think of is go and have fun. The first cruise I went on was gifted to us as our honeymoon. I did not know anything about cruising and showed up and had a great time. Now I plan the heck out of it. It is a different kin of fun, but I think that if I had placed some of the stress I do now back then, the experience might have been different. You are right around the corner now as it is.

Happy sailing!!!

I think the best advice I received was to study deck plans of the ship. It can be over whelming the first time, not knowing where everything is. I also suggest trying to get faster to the fun. It's $60 for the room, and you can go to your room as soon as you board. Otherwise you have to carry your carry ons around with you until about 1:30. Lido gets crowded because everyone heads there for lunch. Have fun, you will love it!

Enjoy your first cruise!!

I've printed off the deck plans of the Sensation as you can see we cruise in 5 days and this is our very first cruise ever.

We are done packing, took three cracks at it, ended up taking about 1/2 of the stuff we were going to take initially. Going to do the $15/bag of laundry if needed.

Cheers!

In the main dining room, get multiple appetizers and entrees. Try something different than you normally would. If you are having a hard time deciding between dishes, get them all.

Talk to the crew when you can. Ask them about their home countries. You'll meet a lot of interesting people.

Don't sweat the small stuff, but if something isn't to your liking, ask the crew to fix it.

Don't make my mistake and try to do everything. You can't. After the first or second cruise you get a feel what can be skipped. Bring a highlighter and mark your Fun Times for the things you might be interested in.

By the by, congratulations on the start of your new addiction!:rolleyes:

I am super excited for you. My first cruise was last October also on the Ecstasy. I think it is a wonderful ship for your first cruise because of it being a smaller ship (I promise it will feel like the biggest thing you've ever seen) it has less people to navigate around the lines always move quick and the shows don't seem to be over crowded.

Even if you start to feel something isn't going your way don't let it get to you. Remember that you're on vacation.

Have a great time and you will be looking to book another cruise right away. I have 2 already booked for 2016.

Attitude is everything!

All the above are good tips. Congrats on entering into the cruise vacation experience.

1. Be sure you or DW goes to the disembarking discussion on the last day before disembarking. And pay close attention regarding completing you US Custon docs.

2. You will need your Pastports to get through US Customs, so do NOT pack them away in your luggage. That means EVERYONE passports. You must present each persons passport to the US Custom's Agent.

3. If you are going to self-assist, which means you are going to carry ALL of your stuff off the ship, think about the type and size of your luggage. Example; it is easier to wheel your luggage off than carrying a large piece of luggage.

4. If you are going to put your bags out the night before you disembark, do NOT pack your passports.

5. We use a travel folder with 7 titled pockets. Example of titles: Cruise Docs, Passports, Excursion Docs, Money, etc. We place this folder in a back pack which I carry. It is an organized easy way to check in and then go through Customs.

6. We bring enough cash for Port Days. We almost rarely use credit cards in port. We had our credit card number stolen at the Margaritavile Restaurant in Grand Caymans many years ago. The next day, our last sea day, my credit card was buying pizzas and pharmacy drugs in NYC, before the card company noticed the suspicious activity.

7. You are going to get lost and turned around on the ship the first day. Please do NOT stand in the middle the stairs and hallways to have the "which way do we go conversation". It gets in the way of other cruisers trying to navigate the ship.

8. You are on vacation, but on the first day getting on board and settling in gets crazy. Try to explore the ship before the Muster Drill. Get your kids checked in at Camp Carinval and complete all the other things that need to be done once on board. Then after the drill, enjoy sail away and have a beverage toasting your first day on the ship and at sea.

Remember that the only cure for the addiction of cruising is booking another CRUISE!

2. You will need your Pastports to get through US Customs, so do NOT pack them away in your luggage. That means EVERYONE passports. You must present each persons passport to the US Custom's Agent.

That's misleading. You do not need passports to cruise. A birth certificate is all that is required.

Take $1's to tip porters and room service.

If you use a lot of ice take a small collapsible cooler and the steward will fill it daily. Put it on the shower floor as most of them condense and will get things wet.

You can get deck plans from Guest Services--sometimes they are handed out as you board. They are very simple but a good guide until you get used to where things are.

The room service menu might be in the bunch of papers you get the first day. Don't throw it out.