Crib needed on Princess......do they ever not have enough?

BaileyandBella

Our experience on princess is that the "crib" will be a pack n' play. Never had an issue getting one, but we did receive a broken one once and had to request a different one.

We also ran into ones of various cleanliness on different cruises (and cruise lines) so I would recommend at least having your DIL bring their own crib sheet to put over the pack n' play "mattress".

When we had to fly to the port we used the ship provided ones. When we could drive to the port for Alaska we brought our own pack n' play.

You can let your cabin steward know if you want the pack n' play folded up during the day or left open for naps. Problem with leaving it down is that there is very little room in a regular size cabin to maneuver around it.

Being that Princess has an open closet without doors, we are going to put the pack and play there. People have said it works great, saves space and the baby cannot see you.....LOL.

We are going to bring our own sheet, but are the mesh sides really yucky?

Thanks!

I've been reading the family forums for a few years and have never seen any posts about anyone being denied a crib they requested ahead of time.

The pack n play seemed fine on Princess and HAL. We put our own sheet in our carry on (not the luggage the cruise ship delivers) since our child needs to nap shortly after boarding. I think it helps the kids to have familiar sheets, plus the cruise ship pack n play sheets aren't always delivered until nighttime. Also, the pack n play wasn't built by the time I boarded on HAL (it was on Princess), so you might want to check first thing and then find the steward if your kid needs to nap right away.

Please also tell your daughter to check to check and make sure there is a child sized life jacket in her room - sometimes extra life jackets aren't there when we board, and they are always quickly delivered by the room steward when I request them.

Being that Princess has an open closet without doors, we are going to put the pack and play there. People have said it works great, saves space and the baby cannot see you.....LOL.

Thanks!

That's a great idea on the closet. Wish I would have thought of that a few years ago when we had kids that age, lol!

Some of the ones we got were dirtier than others. Not nasty, but they looked liked they had been stored away and not used frequently. We just gave them a good wipe down with a baby wipe and washrag before using.

They will usually provide some blankets for extra padding in the pack n' play. We would just wrap the crib sheet over the blankets and the pack n' play mattress to kind of hold it all together.

Edited by c-cruise

Make that a colored or patterned sheet so the room steward can easily identify that it doesn't belong to the ship.

We never ran into the PnP situation, but found some of the cribs to be greasy with a layer of grime. As c-cruise said, it appears they sare stored in a mechanical space, at least on some ships. Or perhaps they spray them with generic lysol prior to storing. In any case, with a metal crib, it's easy to wipe it down and be done. With mesh I'd be inclined to beat it thoroughly, especially if the surfaces were dirty.

We also had an instance where the crib bottom was not installed correctly. DS was standing along the side and suddenly dropped the 6 inches or so to the ground. It was not a great crib design, but it was clear that the room steward didn't know how to assemble it or had rushed it. With a PnP I'd be especially careful to check since they can fold themselves back up if not locked correctly (IIRC... it's been a few years.)

We were on a cruise when my DGD was 6 months old. Crib is in my DD's cabin. I get a knock on the door. The cabin steward is there for my crib set up. What? He tells me that my DD had instructed him to put one in my cabin as well because she just knew we'd want to babysit during the cruise. :rolleyes: Granted there were very few kids on that cruise.

Every night the steward would turn down the bed "just in case" then prepare it for the day when he made up our cabin in the morning. It was very cute. He got an extra tip at the end.