TSA Pre-check!

bigsky

"TSA Pre✓® participating airlines include Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant Airlines, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Lufthansa, OneJet, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet."

No AF.

If you pay $85 for PreCheck or $100 for Global Entry, getting the PreCheck access is never guaranteed. It has never been. It gives you much, much better access, but you may still be marked for the random non-PreCheck journey. Probably at least a 95% chance of getting PC but you have to be prepared for the alternative.

• 4 months later...

One Hiccup!

I have a knee replacement and a right ankle replacement and

I still have to get scanned and go through a pat down.

I was shocked because avoiding that humiliating procedure was why I got pre check. A real disappointment.

I just came across this slightly disturbing report about the new TSA protocols, at Pre-Check, on Travel Codex:

https://www.travelcodex.com/2017/03/new-random-explosive-tests-pat-downs-in-tsa-pre-check/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+travelcodex+%28Travel+Codex%29

Read past the first part, to the "pat down" section.

Sigh.

One Hiccup!

I have a knee replacement and a right ankle replacement and

I still have to get scanned and go through a pat down.

I was shocked because avoiding that humiliating procedure was why I got pre check. A real disappointment.

Did you think that getting Pre-Check meant you would no longer be scanned?

Did you realize that the primary advantages are shorter lines and no removing of electronics, shoes and kippie bag? But that you still get both the WTMD and X-ray?

Sorry about your situation, but I think you went into this with unrealistic expectations.

When you fly often, your number comes up for the control check through the regular line. I'm use to it. I dress and pack my carry on, as if I will be required to go through the regular line, thus making most of my trips through Pre Check a breeze!

Pat downs! Just back from Egypt. There you get pat downs, close to gropping ! Americans have nothing to complain about with our gingerly conducted pat downs here in the States. I often laugh at some of the "Oh! he or she (mostly she) touched my buttock or inner thigh! I was humiliated!" Really, you get humiliated because someone patted your buttock in a pat down? Stay at home then!

Another question, while I'm asking "What's with it with these metal supports in the bras that set off the alarms and show up on scans? Can't female travelers perhaps wear only all fabric bras when they travel and not have to worry about it? Or does that require to much pre-planning, like the people wearing boots that lace up to the mid calf, and then complain about having to take them off when they go through screening! If one's bra set's off the metal detector, maybe they should be wearing a different bra while traveling!

Did you think that getting Pre-Check meant you would no longer be scanned?

Did you realize that the primary advantages are shorter lines and no removing of electronics, shoes and kippie bag? But that you still get both the WTMD and X-ray?

Sorry about your situation, but I think you went into this with unrealistic expectations.

Yes, indeed. It was a false assumption. As I learned this lesson, my posting was intended to correct the hope that another naive traveller might be warned.

In this case my daughter went through the regular line and I the pre check and she was through ten minutes before me.

We are both experienced travellers but TSA pre check worked much faster the one time I was pre cleared on an airline pass. Hence the assumption. But you know what they say about assumptions.....

Another question, while I'm asking "What's with it with these metal supports in the bras that set off the alarms and show up on scans? Can't female travelers perhaps wear only all fabric bras when they travel and not have to worry about it?

This is not an option for all women. Some must wear bras with these supports.

MaisonRose

I had to laugh at your comments on the Pre-check line being longer at times than the regular line. On a different topic, I have gotten off International flights, where I think the entire plane had Global Entry! The Global Entry line will be stretch down the hallway, while one can quickly go right through the regular customs line. I make it a habit of checking out line lengths before getting into either the Pre-check line or the GE line. Has saved me a lot of time, by merely looking first!