TSA Pre-check!

bigsky

Went with Global Entry as it gives you 2 things that pre does not:

1) Federally issued Global entry id (no matter the situation of your state's compliance with Real ID Act can use this id to travel)

2) Access to Nexus lanes and Nexus screening benefits in Canada.

And, Pre Check comes with Global too.

Pre check, check just gets you pre check.

Global is $100 and good for 5 years

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

The statement about NEXUS is incorrect. You have partial use of NEXUS - only in the southbound direction. GE doesn't get you NEXUS lane access going into Canada, only for the return to the USA.

Well, DH and I purchased the TSA precheck and last week, while going through JFK, the TSA precheck line was longer than the regular one!!

It is not about having PreCheck, it is about options. Having PreCheck does not require you to go through the PreCheck line. If any line you are eligible for is shorter, you are free to use that one. Most of the time, my PreCheck line has been shorter. But, if it isn't, I am not afraid to go into the regular lane with the unwashed masses ;)

It is not about having PreCheck, it is about options. Having PreCheck does not require you to go through the PreCheck line. If any line you are eligible for is shorter, you are free to use that one. Most of the time, my PreCheck line has been shorter. But, if it isn't, I am not afraid to go into the regular lane with the unwashed masses ;)

Ah yes...choices. Last month we flew SFO-FRA. We have Pre-Check. We were in First Class. We approached the security area, we asked one of the customer service people if we should use the Pre line, or the First/Business class security line. The reply? "Depends if you want to leave your shoes on and your electronics in your bag". Leaving shoes on (taking the Pre Check line) won.

Ah yes...choices. Last month we flew SFO-FRA. We have Pre-Check. We were in First Class. We approached the security area, we asked one of the customer service people if we should use the Pre line, or the First/Business class security line. The reply? "Depends if you want to leave your shoes on and your electronics in your bag". Leaving shoes on (taking the Pre Check line) won.

For the win.

Well, DH and I purchased the TSA precheck and last week, while going through JFK, the TSA precheck line was longer than the regular one!!

Even when the pre-check line is longer, I prefer it to the regular line - each person in the regular line is going to take longer to process, and that's a great equalizer. In Boston Tuesday, there were about 20 people in pre and 5 in regular. We all got through faster, even after I was randomly selected for further screening.

Getting worried did Pre Check 7/20 got mine right away. DH still does not called said they went as high as they can to get with TSA. We fly in Oct hope it gets here soon

In my experience ever since I got my KTN and registered it with the airlines my travel companions have also gotten the pre-check notation on their boarding passes when we booked tickets together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience ever since I got my KTN and registered it with the airlines my travel companions have also gotten the pre-check notation on their boarding passes when we booked tickets together.

They just got lucky. TSA is supposed to be cutting down random access to Pre-check for those who have not signed up to the program.

I just flew a few weeks ago on Southwest. I had Pre-check on both flights, going and returning. I didn't realize I had Pre-check until the TSA agent told me that I didn't have to stand in the long line with my husband. He told me what line to go to if I ever get it again. Coming home from the cruise I printed boarding passes and our granddaughter had pre-check. They say they do it randomly. Now I'll know what to look for on a boarding pass.

Carol

Even if it's longer, you usually don't have to remove shoes, or separate electronics, among other things in the pre-check line. When we went through Newark, they handed us vouchers, so it didn't matter which line we chose.

Even if it's longer, you usually don't have to remove shoes, or separate electronics, among other things in the pre-check line. When we went through Newark, they handed us vouchers, so it didn't matter which line we chose.

What do you mean by "handed us vouchers"??? Sounds like the PreCheck line wasn't open, so everyone funneled in the "normal" line. Those with PreCheck were given a special card/piece of paper to let them keep the shoes on and Kippie bag in the carryon when going through the line. Is that what happened? I've had this happen a few times at airports where they didn't have staff to do both sets of lines, so PreCheck people got a little deal...

What do you mean by "handed us vouchers"??? Sounds like the PreCheck line wasn't open, so everyone funneled in the "normal" line. Those with PreCheck were given a special card/piece of paper to let them keep the shoes on and Kippie bag in the carryon when going through the line. Is that what happened? I've had this happen a few times at airports where they didn't have staff to do both sets of lines, so PreCheck people got a little deal...

It was off-peak hours when we checked in, so there wasn't a designated pre-check line at that time. Those with pre-check were given vouchers, so we didn't have to remove shoes, separate electronics, etc. Passengers were directed into whichever line was shortest at that moment.

Even when the pre-check line is longer, I prefer it to the regular line - each person in the regular line is going to take longer to process, and that's a great equalizer.

Found out in HNL this week, that everyone in Pre-Check shouldn't be there! The man in front of us handed his ID to the TSA agent with a baseball hat and sunglasses on. Of course, those needed to be removed. Then at the X-Ray machine, it took him at least two minutes to remove everything and finally go through the metal detector. I guess the Hawaii TSA agents are nice, because the one there didn't yell at him like they normally do, he just asked him to speed it up. I couldn't move in front of him, because he was at the very front of the scanner.

I'm not sure if he was one of the random ones or just didn't give a crap, but luckily there aren't a lot of PC people like him.

Update hubby finally got his KTN took 10 weeks glad we went earlier then our appointment time that would have been cutting it to close for my comfort..

Whoa! That is a long time? I had mine emailed to me in less than 24 hrs. My husbands took 6 days, both just a couple months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We didn't have complimentary pre-check from the airline this time (apparently Delta reserves that perk for those with status). Anyway, getting pre-check from the TSA would be well worth the money if we travelled more often. Taking off shoes and belts, and separating electronics etc is a total hassle, which you're hyper aware of, after not having to do it for a couple of trips.

We didn't have complimentary pre-check from the airline this time (apparently Delta reserves that perk for those with status). Anyway, getting pre-check from the TSA would be well worth the money if we travelled more often. Taking off shoes and belts, and separating electronics etc is a total hassle, which you're hyper aware of, after not having to do it for a couple of trips.

Delta did not have anything to do with it. They used to, when "Trusted Traveler" was in alpha/beta testing. TSA was pairing up with a few of the airlines to use their elite travelers to see if a separate line for some people would work. Since most elites are frequent flyers, it made sense to use them as a test group. It is now all up to TSA. You can pay your money (either just for PreCheck or a little more for GE), or you rely on hitting the TSA lottery and getting selected for the random PreCheck inclusion. I honestly do not know cases where someone is always getting PC solely due to status with Delta. At some airports, I believe airlines still pay to have a separate line for their better clients, but I don't pay attention since I have GE plus my home airport doesn't have a "best client" line anymore.

Edited by slidergirl