What do you pack in your carry on?

redcat72

We are driving to our departure port, so I assume we won't have to worry about x-ray machines? I am wondering what other folks pack in their carry ons so I can tell my first time cruising sister what else to pack.

Here's what I was planning to put in my carry on:

Change of clothes

Bathing suit

Toiletries

Camera

Sweater

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Luckily we do not have to deal with the airport - we are driving to the dock. If they are x-raying at the pier - is there anything you can't bring like nail clippers, etc.?

They are not nearly as restrictive as for a plane - you obviously can't bring firearms of any kind, but, remember - on a ship there ARE knives readily available so they don't care about nail clippers, scissors, etc.

For those of long flights .... we travel from Alberta, Canada to Puerto Rico for our annual cruise....

We pack these separate in case our luggage doesn't make it to the room for awhile:

First a pair of shorts, t-shirt and sandals(it is usually snowing like the dickens when we leave our parkas and boots at the airport in Canada)

swimsuits

photocopies of our passports

photocopies of our credit cards and phone # of the credit card emergency line

toiletries necessary -toothbrush, paste, pit-rub, quick touch up makeup kit

drugs -DH has crohns and can't be without his pills

aspirin..just in case

smuggle a bottle of champagne to toast our cruise on the balcony

sunscreen...super important for the glow-in-the-dark Canadians

camera

Robin

I want to bring some cans of soda with me. Has anyone brought beverages in their carryon? I'd rather have it there than in my luggage that's getting checked. All I need is soda all over my clothing.

We are bringing a seperate tiny suitcase (to be checked not carried on) for beverages and some snacks. (I'm a picky eater!) We are going to wrap everything breakable in bubble wrap and seal them in ziplocks. From what I've read here - it's hit or miss if they won't let you take beverages on (usually alcohol.) But it seems for the most part you can bring it on. Won't hurt to try.

Our last cruise, we were faced with the very strong likelihood that we would not see our bags until our first port of call. Luckily, we did get our bags, but I always (and this was very helpful, because we had an unscheduled layover in Dallas without our suitcases) repeat ALWAYS carry a change of nightclothes, change of clothes and all necessary toiletries and, naturally, medications.

In case you wanted to know, our bags did show up very late on the ship. It was only because the ship, with a scheduled 10 pm sailing didn't leave until after 2 am because many passengers didn't make it to San Juan because of weather. 500 passengers met the ship in Aruba.

Judy

I made sure my bathing suit was in my carry on so that I could have a quick lunch and then head straight to the pool to start enjoying that Florida sunshine! :)

Robyn, I just wear mine under my shorts outfit, and that way I don't have to change! Just strip!:eek: :D

All my swimsuits (too hard to find to fit right and could not replace.)

My last 2 cruises my luggage was delayed to the next flight (one the next afternoon which required a mad dash back to the airport to meet the plane and then back to the ship) Therefore I pack to survive at least 2 days without luggage and bring 2 large carry-ons. It's a pain but gives me piece of mind.

Dress shoes, dinner outfit and all the above mentioned on previous posts.

2nd set of shorts and top. Extra underwear.

I used to not put the ships tags on my suitcases until I was ready to go to ship, after the flight, but am wondering if it would help direct my luggage if it misses the ship. Anyone have feedback for that out there?

I vote a big YES for putting the tags on before you leave home. I think that's what helped RCCL get our very late bags to our cabin before sailing. Otherwise, it would have been a crap shoot. We actually had a note inside of one of the bags from the RCCL rep at the airport wishing us a great trip. I would never hesitate to put the tags on our bags. RCCL took care of everything concerning the lost/missing bags on embarkation day.

Maybe it was because we had the insurance, I don't know, but they were so good about it.

Judy

All my swimsuits (too hard to find to fit right and could not replace.)

My last 2 cruises my luggage was delayed to the next flight (one the next afternoon which required a mad dash back to the airport to meet the plane and then back to the ship) Therefore I pack to survive at least 2 days without luggage and bring 2 large carry-ons. It's a pain but gives me piece of mind.

Dress shoes, dinner outfit and all the above mentioned on previous posts.

2nd set of shorts and top. Extra underwear.

I used to not put the ships tags on my suitcases until I was ready to go to ship, after the flight, but am wondering if it would help direct my luggage if it misses the ship. Anyone have feedback for that out there?

Oh my gosh! You guys are just so practical.

This year we are driving to the port and I told my husband what my carryon was going to contain:

Vodka

Chambord

Martini Shaker

Pineapple Juice

12 pk. Diet Pepsi

bathing suit

pair of pants for dinner

a towel to wrap all the glass in

If I had room I was going to put in my makeup, curling iron, hair dryer, and an extra pair of shoes.

I might have to wear the same clothes 2 days in a row, but I'll look good and won't really care!

Archived