Remind Me - Dinner Attire in MDR

I have had issues with Downey and solid colored "silky" type fabrics. It makes a temporary stain until the garment is washed or drycleaned.

Us too, we have found it's a good idea to test it on a small portion of the garment first.

Just to confirm, they will still let you in the MDR if not fully following the dress code, right? I'm thinking more my son. His formal wear is basically how they describe smart casual. We need to limit to 2 suitcases since we are doing self disembark.

P.S. we like the MDR experience and are not interested in Windjammer for dinner.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Does self disembark limit the number of luggage you can take off the ship with you? I do not remember that. We have done self disembark twice, and just brought whatever we had. Works great.

Dan

Does self disembark limit the number of luggage you can take off the ship with you? I do not remember that. We have done self disembark twice, and just brought whatever we had. Works great.

Dan

The only limit is that you have to handle all your luggage yourself with no carts and no help from crewmembers.

Just to confirm, they will still let you in the MDR if not fully following the dress code, right? I'm thinking more my son. His formal wear is basically how they describe smart casual. We need to limit to 2 suitcases since we are doing self disembark.

P.S. we like the MDR experience and are not interested in Windjammer for dinner.

It's a suggestion, not a code, rule, regulation etc.They don't enforce it, I've seen people dressed like total beach bums in the MDR, so don't sweat it.

OP here...so I'm planning on bringing slacks and blouse type clothes for dinner in the MDR. Comfy but still looking dressier than weekend wear (i.e. something I'd wear to work).

DH insists he's wearing jeans for dinner in the MDR. Is that ok?

It sounds like they don't enforce it but will the servers treat us any different?

Even his formal wear is slacks and a jacket. (Even mine is just a summer dress but I wore it for an informal wedding so I assume it's ok)

PS - Only carrying 2 suitcases for disembarking is our own restriction. I have a bad back so DH has to carry the luggage.

Edited by LuCruise

OP here...so I'm planning on bringing slacks and blouse type clothes for dinner in the MDR. Comfy but still looking dressier than weekend wear (i.e. something I'd wear to work).

It sounds like they don't enforce it but will the servers treat us any different?

Even his formal wear is slacks and a jacket. (Even mine is just a summer dress but I wore it for an informal wedding so I assume it's ok)

PS - Only carrying 2 suitcases for disembarking is our own restriction. I have a bad back so DH has to carry the luggage.

Jeans are considered long pants. They have always been "allowed" in the MDR. Some people, however, consider them too heavy/hot especially for a Caribbean cruise.

As others have said you will see all kinds of dress.

OP here...
IMO what you are describing is on the upper end of normal, and you will look good without feeling like you are overdressed. I second that the only issue with jeans is they may be hot for the Caribbean but otherwise are fine; I tend to wear light weight chinos. No need to stress further about your selections:)

ENJOY your cruise

Thom

When my kids were young, I would pack complete outfits-socks and underwear, included- in gallon Ziploc baggies. Each morning they would just have to grab a baggie and have the whole outfit altogether. My 19 year old daughter still does this (but now she needs the 2 gallon sized baggies!)

Your husband and I are kindred spirits. Jeans and a knit polo are pretty much what I plan to wear. It's a VACATION for crying out loud!

Edited by IndyKid

I had planned to put my boys (4 and 9) in a button down shirt (sleeves cuffed a bit) with tie and nice kneed length chino shorts for one formal night. Is this ok or they must be in pants for formal night?

The cruise line requests no shorts in the MDR at dinner. Some people say they see shorts all the time, others, like us, have seen shorts but rarely. We have never seen shorts in the MDR on a formal night.

I had planned to put my boys (4 and 9) in a button down shirt (sleeves cuffed a bit) with tie and nice kneed length chino shorts for one formal night. Is this ok or they must be in pants for formal night?

Shorts are not supposed to be allowed, but people do wear them to the MDR. At such a young age I don't think they would be questioned. It varies too from ship to ship.