Don't even think about skipping the Lifeboat Drill

The height of arrogance is thinking that teaching someone to wear a life preserver for 15 minutes is going to make a difference when people are in a panic... eh buttercup?

Besides, you have no idea why people miss it... so go, and don't worry about everyone else..

Wow, that is some kind of post!

:eek:

Here's the problem with that attitude. We all want to get on with our vacation. They won't start muster until everyone is there. Therefore, we have to wait until they round up everyone, then conduct muster before we can get on with our vacation.

So we are forced to worry about those who try to skip muster.

Firemanbobswife has made a VERY good point several times. I WAS a crew member. Muster is NOT only used to evacuate ship and having a necessity for the lifeboats....it is about bringing everyone together for accountability. There could be a man overboard and they may need to account for the pax....there could be any number of real scenarios not to be pointed out by me and given today's climate of disaccord in our world/country. I will be honest....it is those running for their lifeboats first that make me wonder. Why not make sure all are accounted for and helped that need it before jumping ship? As stated before....This isn't the Titanic and there are MORE than enough boats!

Carnival needs to hold the Muster drill in the public rooms instead of packing us like sardines under the life boats. Princess, Royal and Celebrity do it that way. Not sure about NCL, its been a while.

We were on a couple Carnival cruises several years ago and they held the muster drills in the public areas. We were in a lounge once and dining room another time. Last cruises have been back to usual muster stations.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

=poison7fl;49550146]The height of arrogance is thinking that teaching someone to wear a life preserver for 15 minutes is going to make a difference when people are in a panic... eh buttercup?

Besides, you have no idea why people miss it... so go, and don't worry about everyone else..

I do not give a furry rat's rear what other people do as long as it does not interfere with my life, liberty or pursuit of happiness. But when we are all following the regulations and we are penalized by having to wait for the self absorbed, then I do care.

Firemanbobswife has made a VERY good point several times. I WAS a crew member. Muster is NOT only used to evacuate ship and having a necessity for the lifeboats....it is about bringing everyone together for accountability. There could be a man overboard and they may need to account for the pax....there could be any number of real scenarios not to be pointed out by me and given today's climate of disaccord in our world/country. I will be honest....it is those running for their lifeboats first that make me wonder. Why not make sure all are accounted for and helped that need it before jumping ship? As stated before....This isn't the Titanic and there are MORE than enough boats!

good post thanks for sharing

And that is exactly what I have done these last two cruises, sucked it up and gone. I have always gone, and would never consider not going, same as I always pay attention to pre flight explanations of needing to exit the aircraft in an emergency. Yet, when I am standing an incredibly long time, enduring pain because of late comers, or no shows, then it does become a big issue for me.

I will always attend muster drill no matter what, but don't want to faint from pain, and then be told that I need to be checked out by the ships doctor at x amount of cost to me..., then that is why, I prefer they held it in public rooms.

I believe they do this on fantasy class ships, and then there is a visit to the muster station. I have no problem with this. Just as above poster said, they should not pack us in like sardines in hot weather, and then let us stand there for 30 mins before the drill even starts.

We've been doing B2B for the last few years. I also don't stand well. For the 1st cruise, I take my seat cane so I'm comfortable waiting for the the drill to start. I stand when they start the drill so I can see what's going on.

When they see me with my cane, they start to usher me to the MDR. However, I shake my head & go outside.

However, the 2nd week, I do go into the MDR for muster drill.

Really appreciate all the people that care about this and all the comments...however you need to do it you can do it...you need the review..more people care..the more that care create the least chaos and things get done right. Somebody told me that as hard as things are...we are more connected than ever before on this planet..more people will show that more can be done on the micro and macro doing the right thing..working towards peace and protection getting there to a safer world is the hope . Same goes for ship.....critical mass is the best force towards people doing it, and checking us for presence or whatever, that is great,,,making a place to pay attention comfortable enough...this is good....and love the organizers knowing souls on ships..the ones doing part for self and others..can be the slower group too...give us some counting jobs..we will help in timely manner...Sarah

PS...some of us just have to tough love a few "not going to do its"...the safe enough ones for this...

Edited by sjn911

I may do the same thing. We waited by the doorway for it to fill out so I could hopefully get a place to stand and be able to breathe and of course the back problems kicked in too. When they say 330 or 400 or whatever, it means that not 20 minutes later.

Unfortunately, my last two experiences with Carnival (the Breeze in late December and the Splendor about a week ago) have been that when they say 3:30, it actually ends up not starting 'til 4:30 or later. On the Breeze, the muster drill was at least an hour later than what was printed in the Fun Times. On the Splendor, it also started at least an hour later than the printed time (I think it was closer to 75 minutes). In each case, there were no announcements or any other indication that they had pushed back the drill.

Also, unfortunately, my husband currently has a broken leg, so we went down at least 20 minutes early, just to make sure he could take the elevator before they got shut off. Once it became clear that the drill wasn't starting at the scheduled time, I couldn't find any Carnival employee that had any idea when it actually would start. They would say, "Oh, don't worry about it, there will just be an announcement when it's time." Well, when you're dealing with someone that has a broken leg that doesn't really work. So they told us to sit in the theater while we waited. Eventually, they came to kick us (and everyone else hanging around) out of the theater. They told my husband that the special needs drill would be in the Library, so he went there and I went to our assigned muster station to meet up with our daughter. It was outside, took forever to get going, and then they let the muster stations on the other side leave first, which meant we got to stand around for at least extra 10 minutes, during which time someone at our muster station threw up (nice!).

Unfortunately, my last two experiences with Carnival (the Breeze in late December and the Splendor about a week ago) have been that when they say 3:30, it actually ends up not starting 'til 4:30 or later. On the Breeze, the muster drill was at least an hour later than what was printed in the Fun Times. On the Splendor, it also started at least an hour later than the printed time (I think it was closer to 75 minutes). In each case, there were no announcements or any other indication that they had pushed back the drill.

Also, unfortunately, my husband currently has a broken leg, so we went down at least 20 minutes early, just to make sure he could take the elevator before they got shut off. Once it became clear that the drill wasn't starting at the scheduled time, I couldn't find any Carnival employee that had any idea when it actually would start. They would say, "Oh, don't worry about it, there will just be an announcement when it's time." Well, when you're dealing with someone that has a broken leg that doesn't really work. So they told us to sit in the theater while we waited. Eventually, they came to kick us (and everyone else hanging around) out of the theater. They told my husband that the special needs drill would be in the Library, so he went there and I went to our assigned muster station to meet up with our daughter. It was outside, took forever to get going, and then they let the muster stations on the other side leave first, which meant we got to stand around for at least extra 10 minutes, during which time someone at our muster station threw up (nice!).

Terrible, so empathysize....my last one was on an Easter Sunday Exit, On Spirit..last cruise in Mexico before Hawaii cruise and transfer to Aussie land... it was timely and all and though outside...about 45 min. total...with lots of kids having to just be held by mom and dad...Was not like yours, anywhere that is bad...then mine was fairly tolerable and I was better on feet...that just was not ok. And scary. Good to make the powers to be aware...and bring a little pressure making us aware.

Edited by sjn911

While I understand that they do not start them until they are ready to and THEN make the call and I also completely understand what your concerns were about his leg, I am a little confused.

MAYBE it is that different ports do different things, but it was my understanding that the Breeze does this like the Dream and the Magic and has the drills in the indoor common areas. Was it different for you?

Can anyone who may know a bit more about CCL Ops tell me if this is a port thing or a ship thing? Magic, when in Galveston, def does it inside. Breeze is headed there. Thoughts?

Edited by dawnjam1

While I understand that they do not start them until they are ready to and THEN make the call and I also completely understand what your concerns were about his leg, I am a little confused.

MAYBE it is that different ports do different things, but it was my understanding that the Breeze does this like the Dream and the Magic and has the drills in the indoor common areas. Was it different for you?

Can anyone who may know a bit more about CCL Ops tell me if this is a port thing or a ship thing? Magic, when in Galveston, def does it inside. Breeze is headed there. Thoughts?

It's a ship thing. It depends on where the muster stations were set when the ship was designed. It's rare for muster stations to be changed. That's why on new ships - on most lines - they have designed muster stations inside, in large areas where there is seating. On many older ships the muster stations were set up on deck 3 or 4 and so that's where they continue to be.

The Breeze will have most of it's muster stations in the same locations as the dream and magic - inside dining rooms and theatres.

Never sailed on Carnival, but was shock to hear that muster doesn't happen on time.

I have been on few ships where muster was held exactly when it was scheduled to be. Any delay in boarding - either people or products - can cause the muster drill to be delayed.

On the Navigator of the Seas, the muster drill was delayed for hours because the port lost power. Instead of boarding at noon - 1pm, they were still loading pax onto the ship at 7:30 at night. Muster took place at 8pm with early dining being pushed back to 8:30ish and then late dining being pushed back to 10:15pm.

That was a rough boarding and muster drill - it was late, people were hungry, tired, cranky and ready to riot.

I honestly don't know why the muster drill is such a big deal? We've been cruising for 6 or 7 years now and they're pretty much uneventful. We go to the assigned muster stations, wait around until they are over, and fight the crowds back to the elevators. No big deal.

I honestly don't know why the muster drill is such a big deal? We've been cruising for 6 or 7 years now and they're pretty much uneventful. We go to the assigned muster stations, wait around until they are over, and fight the crowds back to the elevators. No big deal.

That.

I have a difficult time with claustrophobia - hate when we go on time, then get squashed in the back between a thousand later arrivals. Last time, I had to ask the crew member if she could move me up front for some air, as I felt like I would pass out. Next cruise, I'm waiting on the stairwell until most of the people are in place before I step into line.

Passengers that blatantly do not show up for the Muster Drill are a nuisance. Carnival should scan everyone's S&S cards as they enter their assigned Muster station. Any passenger not showing up should have their card immediately disabled. They should then have to show up for a make-up muster drill and be fined $ 25. The $ should go to the Groove for St. Jude .

JMHO.

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app