Don't even think about skipping the Lifeboat Drill

I just got off of the Breeze, and now they scan the Sail & Sign account cards as you enter your Muster Station. About 20 passengers didn't show up at our station, and they were all called out to report to the drill.

It is about time they started this.

I agree. As I am aging, and having back pain issues, I find it extremely difficult to stand in one place for more than 5 minutes without moving about some. Last year, last cruise, the muster took an incredibly long time, and I almost fainted from the pain. I am not normally one to ask for special assistance, but I fear that next cruise, I may have to ask for the special needs area for muster drill. Don't want to, but cant face the scenario again this year.

We go to the library for handicapped cabins. It is actually a better solution

Carnival needs to hold the Muster drill in the public rooms instead of packing us like sardines under the life boats. Princess, Royal and Celebrity do it that way. Not sure about NCL, its been a while.

Royal did not on Rhapsody or Granduer of the Seas when we went.

Our drill for the Breeze was in the main lounge.

When they click (let's say a couple of clicks a second) as they walk by 150+ people... and it takes them 20 seconds ... AND they're not even coming close to actually looking at each person, I'd say they're putting on a show.

At least they won't have to play that charade any longer, once all the ships are fully in the 21st century !

Tom

Maybe but they would know ahead of time how many people should be in each area and it is possible that each click represents more than 1 person. I've been at muster stations where they used the head count method and they knew there were people missing so there must be something to it.

The port authority may set the departure time, but it's not always met. When we sailed from NOLA on the Dream at the end of January, we were scheduled to depart at 4 PM. The muster drill ran a little long, so people were afraid they might miss sail away. But - due to river traffic, we didn't actually sail away until around 4:45. It was quite disheartening to see the Norwegian Dawn heading round the bend and sailing down river while we were still moored.

Perhaps the Dawn was scheduled to sail first and the river traffic was causing delays.

Since the sinking of the Costa Concordia, muster drills must be done before sail away. One of the problems on the Concordia was that the drill had nit yet occurred, so passengers were unfamiliar with their muster stations.

you are correct, I'm wrong.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Once passengers have boarded, cruise lines are required by SOLAS to conduct a “muster drill” within 24 hours of departure. The Coast Guard requires these drills to be conducted weekly, at minimum, and each crew member must participate in at least one per month. Rest assured that in event of such an emergency, cruise ships carry enough life vests for 105% of persons onboard and have enough survival crafts to accommodate 125% of persons onboard.

Is the 105 number a typo? I thought I read it was in the 150-200% range. I'd hate to think that almost all life jackets are only located in staterooms which may not be the best place to go to first in a real emergency. Many ships have secondary lockers with more lifejackets near muster stations. Is this not the case on carnival ships?

Maybe but they would know ahead of time how many people should be in each area and it is possible that each click represents more than 1 person. I've been at muster stations where they used the head count method and they knew there were people missing so there must be something to it.

Not buying that - pure chance, and has nothing to do with their pathetic "count".

Tom

According to coast guard regulations the muster must take place within 24 hours of sailing. The fact that they are conducted just prior to sailing is just a more efficient way of complying. Trying to get 2500 passengers to muster stations in the middle of a sea day would be next to impossible.

USCG regulations have nothing to do with the muster drill, nor with anything that happens onboard a foreign flag cruise ship. The USCG can only ensure that the IMO's SOLAS regulations are being met, not enforce their own, stricter regulations.

Is the 105 number a typo? I thought I read it was in the 150-200% range. I'd hate to think that almost all life jackets are only located in staterooms which may not be the best place to go to first in a real emergency. Many ships have secondary lockers with more lifejackets near muster stations. Is this not the case on carnival ships?

SOLAS requirements are that the total number of adult lifejackets be 105% of all persons onboard, and that passenger ships carry 10% of the total number of persons onboard additionally as children's jackets, and additionally 2.5% be infant lifejackets.

Most ships will carry in the 150% range, just because they are a constant maintenance item, and it is easier to replace from onboard stock to ensure compliance at all times. Remember, that the lifejackets are a contingency measure (like belt and suspenders), because once in the boats, they only create additional crowding, and are of fairly minimal use. During an emergency, the crew that are checking the cabins for occupants are also looking for lifejackets left behind, and those will be brought to the boats.

I agree. As I am aging, and having back pain issues, I find it extremely difficult to stand in one place for more than 5 minutes without moving about some. Last year, last cruise, the muster took an incredibly long time, and I almost fainted from the pain. I am not normally one to ask for special assistance, but I fear that next cruise, I may have to ask for the special needs area for muster drill. Don't want to, but cant face the scenario again this year.

I hear you and ditto. Car accident and unrelated surgery 6 years later that both contribute to the issue..can't move same way for weight control..not good at the cold weather walking etc. etc. I have only read early pages here.

Thanks for saying something. Did not quote all responses but so glad to know about the lounge for us and I see my small home being turned into a Senior's exercise plan..dump the old furniture get a stationary bike and treadmill instead of replacement..plus a senior yoga tape, mat and superb recliner..LOL.

Thanks for your comments and finding out about the for the "Handy yet not quite able" theater option. Paradise was inside and then going out to our station. Spirit was all outside on 2012..and have been concerned since.

Edited by sjn911

Many years ago when we were on the Soverign of the Seas, The Muster drill started 20 minutes before the ship was to sail away. The drill took 40 minutes, by the time the Muster drill was completed and we got up top, the ship was almost out of Port Canaveral. A lot of ticked off people. The amazing thing was the ship left at its scheduled time. The muster drill started late.

Carnival has it in public spaces now. They have for a while. No more packed in and hot outside

It depends on the ship. They're ALWAYS used public rooms for some muster stations. And the muster stations for others.

In some instances, you mustered in the public room, and then were led to your muster station afterward.

They are tryng to organize and partition in an organized manner.

My problem is, I've come to accept it's up to ME to get off that ship, looking at what happened on the Concordia, where most just slipped into SAVE MYSELF mode, include, of all people, THE CAPTAIN!

It's not just you, but others as well. Why does anyone care if people skip out on the muster drill? If they don't know where to go in a emergency oh well for them.

They are likely to be the one's crowding the passageways wondering what to do, holding the rest of us up. Beyond that I don't really care:).

They are likely to be the one's crowding the passageways wondering what to do, holding the rest of us up. Beyond that I don't really care:).

See, I still have a problem with that. Again, on the Concordia, people were getting into ANY lifeboat. The Connecticut family, interviewed often, made their way to THEIR muster for THEIR lifeboat, and there was NO ROOM FOR THEM.

They were part of the group that had to climb down that ladder on the side of the ship after it capsized.

I often wonder why Carnival, the entity, doesn't practice, Best Practice methodology. I worked for a large national company and we had 10 sites across the US. We routinely would meet to discuss Best Practice. Princess has for the last several years, at least, been holding their Muster indoors in the various venues. It's quick, air conditioned, plenty of seating and orderly. With it spread out, there isn't that rush for elevators at the end as well.

If it's a typo it's not mine. This was cut and pasted directly from their website.

USCG regulations have nothing to do with the muster drill, nor with anything that happens onboard a foreign flag cruise ship. The USCG can only ensure that the IMO's SOLAS regulations are being met, not enforce their own, stricter regulations.

All cruise lines have to follow regulations called Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), which were adopted following the sinking of the Titanic and are administered by the United Nation's International Maritime Organization (IMO). The U.S. Coast Guard also gets involved by making sure those regulations are followed by passenger ships that stop in the United States.

All cruise lines have to follow regulations called Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), which were adopted following the sinking of the Titanic and are administered by the United Nation's International Maritime Organization (IMO). The U.S. Coast Guard also gets involved by making sure those regulations are followed by passenger ships that stop in the United States.

Completely aware of the interrelationship between the IMO and the USCG. SOLAS, as an international convention, has no binding jurisdiction on any nation. It is up to nations that are signatory to SOLAS to pass implementing legislation to make the requirements of SOLAS into regulations in the signatory nation. However, the USCG, as any other nation signatory to SOLAS is entitled to, can and has implemented regulations that exceed the requirements of SOLAS. These USCG regulations can be enforced only on US flag vessels. The USCG enforces more stringent regulations on US flag vessels than they can enforce on the foreign flag vessels that call on US ports. This is the difference between flag state authority and port state authority.

This is great. And honestly, I don't mind the muster drill.

To me, it's the last thing you are going to be forced to do for the duration of your vacation. The next thing after that is debarkation. Once your muster station is released, it's a mad dash to the Lido Deck for a drink and a dip in the pool.

This is great. And honestly, I don't mind the muster drill.

To me, it's the last thing you are going to be forced to do for the duration of your vacation. The next thing after that is debarkation. Once your muster station is released, it's a mad dash to the Lido Deck for a drink and a dip in the pool.

I agree with you and I think it takes a fool to miss a drill!:)