Don't even think about skipping the Lifeboat Drill

We were on the Liberty a few weeks ago and had to stand outside for about an hour-no joking as they "went to find people" that hadn't showed up ...it was unbearable, people were dropping like flies and it was held at night in San Juan...can't imagine if it was held in the heat of the day!

I hope CCL starts using the scanning method for all ships ASAP!

Marsha

You can owe it all to the "it doesn't apply to me" people.

You can owe it all to the "it doesn't apply to me" people.

I can't even imagine what they are doing. All the bars are closed. All the food venues are closed. The staterooms are checked by the stewards. Where the heck are these people?!?

I watch the ships leave every Saturday and Sunday. (Ask my wife, Oyyy). 99.99% of every other cruiselines has full decks at sail away. Carnival, especially Conquest, 60-40. We are on her in April so I have been focusing on her probably too much. And all the other ships leave like clockwork every week. HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RC and almost dead last is Conquest with an empty deck. It has to be an operational thing if everyone seems to get it accomplished and leave before you.

Carnival has it in public spaces now. They have for a while. No more packed in and hot outside

As stated several times above, each ship has different muster locations. Some may be in public spaces but many are still on Deck next to lifeboats and rafts

I agree. As I am aging, and having back pain issues, I find it extremely difficult to stand in one place for more than 5 minutes without moving about some. Last year, last cruise, the muster took an incredibly long time, and I almost fainted from the pain. I am not normally one to ask for special assistance, but I fear that next cruise, I may have to ask for the special needs area for muster drill. Don't want to, but cant face the scenario again this year.

My mom cruises with my family also and she gets tired with long walks or standing too long. I suggested this Folding Lightweight Cane Seat. My DH can attach a bungee cord to it and carry it over one shoulder (it weighs less than 2 lbs) and when she needs to sit anywhere, there it is.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17284679?w...993297&veh=sem

We are planning to walk around San Juan, PR and I'm hoping this will be helpful for my mom. Maybe this would be useful for you as well.

Happy Easter!

Edited by momonthego17

Thanks momonthego17. I have heard of those here on CC, and am going to definitely check them out. Thanks for the suggestion, sounds like something that I could make use of both on vacation and at home:)

I watch the ships leave every Saturday and Sunday. (Ask my wife, Oyyy). 99.99% of every other cruiselines has full decks at sail away. Carnival, especially Conquest, 60-40. We are on her in April so I have been focusing on her probably too much. And all the other ships leave like clockwork every week. HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RC and almost dead last is Conquest with an empty deck. It has to be an operational thing if everyone seems to get it accomplished and leave before you.

I would think the order of departure is sent by the port authority not who can get through muster the fastest.

As for being on deck during sail away, I would rather be on my own balcony.

I just got off of the Breeze, and now they scan the Sail & Sign account cards as you enter your Muster Station. About 20 passengers didn't show up at our station, and they were all called out to report to the drill.

Have not read any post but the first, but... WHAT TOOK THEM SO LONG??

I recall their "count", where a crew member would stroll along with a clicker and ACT like they were taking a true count... hogwash. Do they REALLY think we're idiots? (I'd rather not answer that)!

I prefer the safety briefing on most other lines, where (for the most part) they don't haul you out to stand under the lifeboats for half an hour... much more civilized!

Tom

I can't even imagine what they are doing. All the bars are closed. All the food venues are closed. The staterooms are checked by the stewards. Where the heck are these people?!?

Taking their sweet time getting there. After the annonucement is made, people go to the bars to top off their drinks, go to the stateroom to drop things off, go ship sightseeing, etc., etc., etc.

Easy solution to the problem. Don't check in within 20 minutes of the announcement and you are left at the port.

Perhaps it is an "operational thing", but it may also be a higher # of recalitrant cruisers on Carnival who attempt to avoid the safety drill thereby making it longer and more drawn out?

This is why I no longer go as the sound horns. I take my time and show up almost last, because you stand there waiting and waiting, while the crew seems to be having the time of their lives while your sweating, smelling others that have traveled all day that are just rank and randy.

They should hold a separate drill for those that don't show up. I hate being punished for idiots.

We actually go early. I can't walk up too many successive flights of stairs without my back singing to me. So we head to muster early before they shut down the elevators.

I also like to be in the first group out to the lifeboat area so I can lean against the wall while we wait. Anything to help with the back pain! ;)

We have had the unfortunate (or I guess it could be fortunate in that you do the entire drill) "luck" of being on a couple of ships that were selected for a full Coast Guard muster drill (or whatever it is called).

Some may have experienced this as well when you talk about standing forever at the lifeboat itself... from what I understand each ship has to go through it several times a year and if you are on the cruise that is "selected" you get the prize! First of going to your muster station, which can be indoors or the Lido deck, wherever your SS cards states. As others have stated that is where you show up, not the lifeboat! After being at the muster station and listening to the crew members, captain, etc you are then lead out to line up at your lifeboat where you could stand in line/formation for up to an hour while the Coast Guard (I think) inspects the ship, the crew, the way the muster drill is performed, etc. Once (years ago) we had at least 4 people basically pass out from the heat and standing... we were packed in like sardines. Once the drill was finally over the crew members tried to do an orderly "retreat" from the area, that lasted about a minute and then everyone bolted for the door, restroom, beer, whatever!

This is not the normal muster drill and if you get several in a row then you got "selected" multiple times... at least this is what I've been told... if wrong I'm sure I will hear about it shortly

Edited by bobsfamily

Have not read any post but the first, but... WHAT TOOK THEM SO LONG??

I recall their "count", where a crew member would stroll along with a clicker and ACT like they were taking a true count... hogwash. Do they REALLY think we're idiots? (I'd rather not answer that)!

I prefer the safety briefing on most other lines, where (for the most part) they don't haul you out to stand under the lifeboats for half an hour... much more civilized!

Tom

Why do you think they weren't actually taking a count?

Why do you think they weren't actually taking a count?

When they click (let's say a couple of clicks a second) as they walk by 150+ people... and it takes them 20 seconds ... AND they're not even coming close to actually looking at each person, I'd say they're putting on a show.

At least they won't have to play that charade any longer, once all the ships are fully in the 21st century !

Tom

I saw our folks last week onboard the Paradise clicking those clickers to count and they weren't even looking around just clicking and I thought wow how can that even be accurate...:confused: I know several times when it's been really HOT and they've made you squeeze into 5 rows in front of the lifeboats I have seriously almost passed out. Heat stroke can be serious...they need fans or misters while folks wait.

I am so glad that they have begun scanning sail and sign cards. I actually wrote that they should do that in the post-cruise on-line survey I received after our 2/14 Splendor cruise. I said that we stood in our area by the life-boats for a good 20 minutes with no air circulation at all, in 85 degree heat, and that CCL should do what NCL does - have an assigned area to report to, and use hand-held scanners so they know who went or ducked out. Our NCL Getaway drill was literally 5 minutes long - and then they "hunted down" the no-shows and made them do the drill the next day. If they didn't show for that drill they would be debarked at the next port!

I just got off of the Breeze, and now they scan the Sail & Sign account cards as you enter your Muster Station. About 20 passengers didn't show up at our station, and they were all called out to report to the drill.

Other lines have done this years.

I would think the order of departure is sent by the port authority not who can get through muster the fastest.

The port authority may set the departure time, but it's not always met. When we sailed from NOLA on the Dream at the end of January, we were scheduled to depart at 4 PM. The muster drill ran a little long, so people were afraid they might miss sail away. But - due to river traffic, we didn't actually sail away until around 4:45. It was quite disheartening to see the Norwegian Dawn heading round the bend and sailing down river while we were still moored.

How does it work for little kids? Is there a separate muster drill for people with little ones? This is our first cruise with kids and now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing very little kids at our drills before.

Kids are given wrist bands with the muster station. If they are participating in kids club activities, they will be taken to that station and united with the parent

I no longer see carnival from my condo front porch :(

Sometimes yes and then other times dictated by still luggage to be loaded. One day, at 3:45, passengers just coming in the checkin area. Hears lots of things on ship to shore and Harbormaster channels. Anyone can listen. I agree on own balcony but when stuck in Muster, there is no one portside balconies either.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

I heard the harbor master did that on purpose to get back at the captain for not being ready when it was his turn to go.

Two weeks ago, the Conquest wasn't ready until 5pm. Captain was fuming when Harbormaster denied request and had to wait for two inbound freighters. They never left the port until 5:50. Pays to be on time.

The port authority may set the departure time, but it's not always met. When we sailed from NOLA on the Dream at the end of January, we were scheduled to depart at 4 PM. The muster drill ran a little long, so people were afraid they might miss sail away. But - due to river traffic, we didn't actually sail away until around 4:45. It was quite disheartening to see the Norwegian Dawn heading round the bend and sailing down river while we were still moored.

According to coast guard regulations the muster must take place within 24 hours of sailing. The fact that they are conducted just prior to sailing is just a more efficient way of complying. Trying to get 2500 passengers to muster stations in the middle of a sea day would be next to impossible.

According to coast guard regulations the muster must take place within 24 hours of sailing. The fact that they are conducted just prior to sailing is just a more efficient way of complying. Trying to get 2500 passengers to muster stations in the middle of a sea day would be next to impossible.

Since the sinking of the Costa Concordia, muster drills must be done before sail away. One of the problems on the Concordia was that the drill had nit yet occurred, so passengers were unfamiliar with their muster stations.