secluded areas of 7 mile beach

CruisingTheWaves

hi all, i know this topic has probably been discussed over and over, but with all this talk about it and given that cayman beaches are public, i was just wondering if anyone had tried being dropped off at one of the more known places, and then just walking down to one of the condo/residential areas and using their beach? i know technically there wouldn't be facilities available as they're for use of the guests staying there, but for someone who really wants to be away from the crowds, wouldn't this be an option? i saw some on google maps - like christopher columbus condos, the pinnacle, and the avalon all look like they have nice, quiet beach areas. if everything's public, any reason why this wouldn't be an option?

You don't have to sit where the rental loungers are....you can walk up and down the beach at will! As long as you're ok with sitting on your towel, you're fine!

this is what i figured, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of unwritten rule that it wasn't allowed! :)

To reiterate something I've occasionally had to point out...

The beaches are public up only from the edge of the water to the mean high water mark. That is up to the point where high tide reaches on an average day. It's not much since there is little tidal variation in Cayman.

To be specific, there is not enough public portion of the beach to allow you to lay down a towel on dry sand, excepting at the stretches of beach specifically dubbed Public Beach (capital letters) where the public own the and up to and/or past the roadway as well.

this is what i figured, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of unwritten rule that it wasn't allowed! :)

Technically, the beach is public UP TO THE HIGH WATER MARK. That means it's okay to sit or walk along that few feet right by the water's edge.

It is NOT okay to sit, even on a towel on the sand, further up the beach closer to the condos/hotels/houses without permission of the owner or management.

As an owner of beachfront property at Rum Point, this is one of my huge pet peeves. Just 'cause the beach is really nice and quiet there doesn't mean you can sit in my yard for the day, and I'm sure the condo owners along SMB feel the same way.

There is public beach that's usually less crowded at the Governors Beach section of SMB, or there's Smith Cove mentioned above. Both are almost always less crowded than Calico Jacks/Public Beach or Royal Palms.