First Impressive Cruise on Oceania

jcarruthers

Oceania Nautica

This was our first cruise with Oceania. Despite some weather (fog) problems that disrupted our itinerary from Tokyo to Hong Kong we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise. To state the obvious - the food and wine was magnificent. The best we have encountered in our many travels. As was the the level of service from the friendly staff. The Nautica is the smallest ship we have been on but was truly well furnished and fitted out throughout. Travel on Nautica is a rather sedate affair. No skylarking or boisterous activities. And this is the type of clientele that are attracted to the line we understand. Would we travel on Oceania again? Yes, if the pricing deal was good and we were in the mood for a "relaxing" cruise. If you are after fun and games, and a party time cruise then perhaps not. Horses for courses!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the reassuring words. Our first Oceania cruise will be the Baltics on Nautica on August. Makes me feel like we made the right choice.

CanEcosse, we loved our Baltics Nautica cruise. Be sure to join the roll call, if you haven't, in order to find excursion companions for your ports of call.

Edited by Tansy Mews
added poster's name

I totaly appreciate your review... It is the same feeling we first got back in 2006 when we first discovered Oceania after sailing Regent for 5 years.

After some 30 years of travel and cruising, we found that the atmosphere, the ambiance, the fellow passengers and the cuisine just clicked for us. All of the good with none of what we considered the not good ( crowds, nickel dime, rude passengers, kids, blaring bands and a class system questionable merit..)

The cuisine was astounding and after 6 cruises we have constantly been delighted by Oceania's quality in food. Have sailed Marina, Riviera, Regatta, Insignia and soon Sirena. Big or small penthouse to inside we just plain enjoyed the experience. We, are low key and easy going and appreciate fellow passengers who are the same. People, well traveled, well mannered people are the real entertainment on the ship is the conversations and interaction that is far more pleasurable than some las vegas review...

I read of some who complain and deride the line..... Ok, Sorry they felt that way. As for myself, I shake my head at some and smile at others as I think many are the product of a personal judgment and emotion, not necessarily grounded in reality, somewhat akin to the princess and the pea story

Will you like Oceaina? Well its my opinion, personally , that is up to you...I like the heck out of it to the extent I see no point in ever taking a non O cruise.... It just plain fits in every respect, for us like if your delt 4 aces, can you really better your hand ?

QUOTE"I totaly appreciate your review... It is the same feeling we first got back in 2006 when we first discovered Oceania after sailing Regent for 5 years.

After some 30 years of travel and cruising, we found that the atmosphere, the ambiance, the fellow passengers and the cuisine just clicked for us. All of the good with none of what we considered the not good ( crowds, nickel dime, rude passengers, kids, blaring bands and a class system questionable merit..)"UNQUOTE

I was very interested in reading your post and your reference to Regent. We are strong Regent fans but are taking a look at what Oceania has to offer after encouragement from some friends. I wouldn't want this thread to evoke a slagging contest against either line, but I would sincerely appreciate your further comments on the areas in which you think Oceania (Nautica) is superior to Regent. I certainly didn't recognise Regent from your list of the "not goods". Many thanks

QUOTE"I totaly appreciate your review... It is the same feeling we first got back in 2006 when we first discovered Oceania after sailing Regent for 5 years.

After some 30 years of travel and cruising, we found that the atmosphere, the ambiance, the fellow passengers and the cuisine just clicked for us. All of the good with none of what we considered the not good ( crowds, nickel dime, rude passengers, kids, blaring bands and a class system questionable merit..)"UNQUOTE

I was very interested in reading your post and your reference to Regent. We are strong Regent fans but are taking a look at what Oceania has to offer after encouragement from some friends. I wouldn't want this thread to evoke a slagging contest against either line, but I would sincerely appreciate your further comments on the areas in which you think Oceania (Nautica) is superior to Regent. I certainly didn't recognise Regent from your list of the "not goods". Many thanks

We started Sailing Regent in 2001 took long 28 to 36 day cruises....the last from Sydney to LA on the Mariner. Loved everything. Then regent went to a ALL inclusive. What it did was to, we observed , bring in a type of client who was paying to be served, was clueless about where they were going, demanding and wanted for the price to have their hands held.

Oceania ...our first on Mariner a 34 day... was on what we determined to be an ala cart version of Regent. Passengers much more low key, food....actualy better and more variety. Ship ambiance about the same between the 2. The R class we determined was line a British country botique hotel... much smaller and classy Cuisine was just as good as the bigger ship but without Jacques and Red Ginger, however, this was not a problem Cabin size...much smaller but ambiance great if not better in a more classic vs modern way. While we can afford the full range we cruise for value for the $$$ Based on this we think that on an R class line Nautica, you go with an inside on deck 8 or a penthouse. All in between are not worth the$$ for a veranda or outside.. they are all the same size...except the PH. In fact getting a inside on deck 8 ( same as the PH) puts one in one of the best locations on the ship. There are times when a veranda is useable and times when it is not. like rainy season in the tropics or Alaska when it is far better to zip out and enjoy the pool deck or Horizons.., just as easy as a PH passenger. Thats our take...O gives us more value variety and without pretention which we discovered creeping in on Regent....from the passengers not the crew. I mention the crew because they rotate between Regent and Oceiana/ The small Regent ships are far inferiour to the O Rclass ships in terms of space and ambiance.

Thats, why, our opinion . Others may differ...thats cool But as I said we cruise for the calm relaxing low key...and the value we get and that we can have the option to pick and choose what we want...

Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...