Indirect Flight

Glitter22

We just booked another Regent cruise and are shocked to find we have an indirect flight stopping at Amsterdam on the journey between Venice and our destination - London. This considerably increases the journey time. Why would they do this? I can see plenty of availability on alternative direct flights.

We just booked another Regent cruise and are shocked to find we have an indirect flight stopping at Amsterdam on the journey between Venice and our destination - London. This considerably increases the journey time. Why would they do this? I can see plenty of availability on alternative direct flights.

Hello, on our first Regent cruise we were told that we had to have a diversion from Glasgow - Heathrow - Rome. we booked our own flights from Manchester and there was a little discount for booking our own flights. By the time we added in the transfers and the cost of the overnight accommodation it was more expensive. When we asked about this we were told that Regent only use (quality airlines) so i'm guessing there will be a significant discount on Regent's behalf to use them.

Our next one, we just went with the flow and it was all good. I do see what you mean when there are direct flights to some places and you have to have a transfer.

Have a great trip regardless.

Might be a cost or airline contract issue. We opt for an "air deviation" to get the flights and schedules we prefer. Regent does have a charge for that unless you are Platinum or above, and if there is a difference in the airfare of what they assigned to you vs what you want, you would pay that, too. Ask your travel agent to look into it for you, or call Regent if you did a direct booking.

Some information that might help when you discuss this issue. By definition in the airline industry, there is no such thing as an indirect flight and a direct flight means at least one stop. What the OP is talking about wanting is a Non-Stop flight and as I said, direct has at least one stop before you get to your destination.

What they have provided is a connection, not indirect and the most likely reason is the price as connections are generally less expensive than non-stops. Using the correct terminology with R as well as the airlines will be a big help in the long run. You can always ask for a non-stop and see what they do or pay for a deviation as well, most probably an additional cost for your non-stop.

When you accept R's flighs, you are at their mercy so deviate or take the credit and book your own flights. There is the possibility that you might even save money booking your own??

Thanks for that info rallydave. When we booked we were asked which London airport we wanted to use. We weren't really bothered as all of them are within an easy commute and nonstop to Europe is the norm. Looking at my booking I don't seem to have an baggage allowance included either[emoji34].

We have discovered that the earlier we book the more likely we are to get a direct flight (non stop). Only once have we booked less than six months in advance and we were offered flights that had a stopover. On this occasion we were offered and accepted business class direct and took this. Returning we were bumped from the flight due to overbooking. ( BA). I would be interested to know how close to departure you booked your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This needs to be examined closely. For example, we are booked on a china cruise whereby Regent has a $1200PP coach allowance and an additional $4000PP business class upgrade for a total fare of $5200. However, if you check directly, you'll find a business class fair is available for the same travel for as low as $3200, a substantial savings.