Military Gathering

Katesowner

It' was listed on the daily on my cruise and was listed on all the Jade dailies I looked at from previous reviewers. I'm glad I went. We had careers from dog handlers to intel. We kept running into each other for the rest of the cruise and became friends.

Is it really for all nationalities, or is it understood to be for US/Canadian/Allied vets?

Since it's never been a formally organized NCL event as far as I know, it probably would be inclusive of or represent the military past of those that organize it. However, anyone or any nationality wishing to organize a military vets get together, as previously mentioned, could approach NCL once on board and probably get it created for them for that cruise.

on the Epic, but it always seems to be at an inopportune time (isn't everything?) I wish they would doing it multiple times throughout the cruise, because I am always interested in swapping war stories and the comradery.

Even if it is just a short get together to raise a glass or two, it would be well worth it.

Some NCL ships have had military gatherings where veterans (all ranks, nationalities) could gather at a bar to talk. Do any ships still do that?

Thanks!

The Escape had a few last week. Veterans Meet Up at Tobacco Road Bar was advertised a couple times in the Freestyle Daily. We never got down there because timings didn't work out though.

I've seen them on every NCL ship I've sailed on. Attended the one on the Sun and had a wonderful time. It's always entertaining to see the reactions when I clarify that I'm no, not a military spouse, but instead a 23 year (and counting) veteran. :D You get to trade some great stories, and learn a lot from older generations. We had a WWII vet on the Sun that I could have listened to for days. I wish I could have made the meeting on the Getaway in January, but it conflicted with something else on the schedule.

I agree with the previous posters that it's likely at the discretion of the cruise director and his staff. Guess I've just been lucky to be on sailings that have them. :)

would you be unhappy if a ww2 german soldier showed up....:confused:

My opinion....an honorable veteran is an honorable veteran. Many veterans who were former enemies, later became respected friends. However, doing the math, the rock bottom youngest a WW2 vet could be now is 89, with the average age of those remaining with us still, early to mid 90s. Me...Former USAF.

My opinion....an honorable veteran is an honorable veteran. Many veterans who were former enemies, later became respected friends. However, doing the math, the rock bottom youngest a WW2 vet could be now is 89, with the average age of those remaining with us still, early to mid 90s. Me...Former USAF.

For what it is worth I will be visiting veterans and veterans widows this afternoon. We visit at least once a month as members of the Royal Canadian Legion. The other member of the team is a 95 year old retired doctor who served in the Canadian Army during WW2. We do have one veteran we visit who was on the other side, (fighter pilot) A vet is a vet as far as we are concerned. I was not brought up to except "the enemy" however time does change ones attitude somewhat.

Former RCAF

i completely agree. being usaf myself, i would now drink with a german or a russian and swap stories about checkpoint charlie.

would you be unhappy if a ww2 german soldier showed up....:confused:
I am not a veteran, it wouldn't affect me either way, and WWII was a long time ago… But there are more recent (or even ongoing) conflicts where the wounds have definitely not healed and where it might not be a great idea to invite veterans from opposing sides to socialize on board. But I suppose the situation is unlikely to arise, given the typical passenger demographics.