Booking w/o any offers

cheeto

Hello, we are thinking about booking our 2017 Alaska Eurodam cruise through our PCC with no offers. I already priced it through a big box and it is $295 more plus has no OBC / $$ back ($475). So essentially $770 more. The reason I am considering this instead is that the big box place has a $100 cancellation fee which with the cruise being far out, I feel comfortable knowing I can cancel if needed with no fee. The other reason is from reading here it would be easier to get any future offers / lower price applied to my booking and the chance of an upsell is a little higher (but totally not needed). Our only reason of booking now with no offers is that we want to secure an Aft Stern Balcony cabin and all of the Stern VB's are sold out on both dates we were interested in.

Do you think this is a doable plan? I am hoping to be able to at least make up some of the difference in price.

This is our first Holland cruise and Alaskan cruise.

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

The 'big box' agency I have booked with does not charge a cancellation fee, so for me, I'd shop around on that one. Plus they will meet any price drop before final payment, but you may have to watch the prices and request the new price, probably not automatic; also could jeopardize any perks with the original booking.

The advantage of booking early is cabin selection! Happy planning. m--

Hello, we are thinking about booking our 2017 Alaska Eurodam cruise through our PCC with no offers. I already priced it through a big box and it is $295 more plus has no OBC / $$ back ($475). So essentially $770 more. The reason I am considering this instead is that the big box place has a $100 cancellation fee which with the cruise being far out, I feel comfortable knowing I can cancel if needed with no fee. The other reason is from reading here it would be easier to get any future offers / lower price applied to my booking and the chance of an upsell is a little higher (but totally not needed). Our only reason of booking now with no offers is that we want to secure an Aft Stern Balcony cabin and all of the Stern VB's are sold out on both dates we were interested in.

Do you think this is a doable plan? I am hoping to be able to at least make up some of the difference in price.

This is our first Holland cruise and Alaskan cruise.

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

The big box, wholesale club out of Seattle's travel dept has a $100 cancellation fee, but offers about 8.6% of fare in OBC on every HAL cruise. I still use a HAL PCC to book and re-book if a better deal comes along, then transfer to the big box Travel Dept before final payment date.

The big box, wholesale club out of Seattle's travel dept has a $100 cancellation fee, but offers about 8.6% of fare in OBC on every HAL cruise. I still use a HAL PCC to book and re-book if a better deal comes along, then transfer to the big box Travel Dept before final payment date.

okay, I had not thought of that. Do you transfer your reservation to receive the OBC they are offering?

okay, I had not thought of that. Do you transfer your reservation to receive the OBC they are offering?

Absolutely. They also have a pretty good group rate on Travel insurance. My PCC gets more compensation if the booking stays with him, but they get credit towards their annual bonus or something for bookings in general. He totally understands and would do the same thing if he wasn't getting an employee price.

A lot of travel agencies charge a cancellation fee, but most (all?) who do, allow you to apply that fee to booking another cruise within a certain time (6 months, one year).

Some travel agencies charge for booking the cruise (we've seen $75 pp).

Booking with a HAL PCC and then transferring to a travel agency seems the sanest method.

It is a jungle out there!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Cheeto:

I absolutely say "do-able". I booked far out (Very early December 2015 for a March 2017 Panama Canal), with no offers, paying just the minimum down -- to secure the midship adjoining balconies I wanted. I have subsequently been able to have two fare reductions applied, as well as two of the three Anniversary Sale perks (no friends-n-family-for-free because these cabins are not triples/quads).

Now, I'm a HAL fan-girl so navigating the website and phone lines is easy-peasy for me, but HAL's website -- while sometimes aggravating -- is so much better than just a few years ago, and the phone operators are generally SO helpful, I would encourage you to go for it! and have control of your own booking.

You will need to keep an ear out on the website and/or this board -- for any sales or offers... and there may not be many on Alaska... So get your cabins while you can!

The 'big box' agency I have booked with does not charge a cancellation fee, so for me, I'd shop around on that one. Plus they will meet any price drop before final payment, but you may have to watch the prices and request the new price, probably not automatic; also could jeopardize any perks with the original booking.

The advantage of booking early is cabin selection! Happy planning. m--

My big box store is the same plus I always get OBC of 6-8%.

Cheeto:

I absolutely say "do-able". I booked far out (Very early December 2015 for a March 2017 Panama Canal), with no offers, paying just the minimum down -- to secure the midship adjoining balconies I wanted. I have subsequently been able to have two fare reductions applied, as well as two of the three Anniversary Sale perks (no friends-n-family-for-free because these cabins are not triples/quads).

Now, I'm a HAL fan-girl so navigating the website and phone lines is easy-peasy for me, but HAL's website -- while sometimes aggravating -- is so much better than just a few years ago, and the phone operators are generally SO helpful, I would encourage you to go for it! and have control of your own booking.

You will need to keep an ear out on the website and/or this board -- for any sales or offers... and there may not be many on Alaska... So get your cabins while you can!

I have had the same experience with my bookings. I tend to book early to get the cabin I want and then closely watch HAL's deals as they come up. The majority of the time either 1) my fare is much lower than the price closer to sailing or 2) I get some very nice "perks" added to my original booking.

I book when I feel that the fare is reasonable, so if nothing improves I am still fine with it.

I use a HAL PCC and making the changes is generally very quick and easy. He seems to be very happy to see me get an improved deal.