Potential first time cruising with medical and other issues on NCL, lots of questions

Jesyth

Lots of questions, you guys. Sorry to be a bother. My life!

While I'm planning to call them and speak with a representative (cruise consultant I think they're called?) I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experiences.

I'm sure others have asked these things before, but I'm thinking about booking a cruise that departs in just a few days, and finding I'm wasting a lot of time trying to sift through a million posts and only finding partial information I need based on keyword searches

So, without further ado: I'm thinking about sailing on one of the Norwegian ships, either leaving Miami or Tampa. My questions aren't really ship centric I don't think (but someone correct me if they are). Never having done this, I have several questions:

What is the boarding process like at these locations? I have had reconstructive surgery on my foot and ankle twice, that was recently re-injured again. So it's now back to requiring special babying. Sometimes I use a cane and sometimes I am in a brace; hopefully I won't be in either on the day of because it makes travelling a huge pain, but the point is, I absolutely cannot stand for a long period of time waiting in a line. My doctors don't want me using a mobility device such a wheelchair, scooter, etc because we are trying to preserve as much muscle and tendon function as possible, and after I am "off" of it it tends to lock up and cause more issues. Additionally, I have autoimmune diseases that involve a degenerative joint and spine issue and that also don't play nice with standing outside in the sun/heat/humidity in that part of the world with no way to cool off (Two different conditions. I'm just lucky! lol). (If right now anyone is feeling the need to point out maybe I shouldn't be going on a Carribbean Cruise because of that, please don't. I do what I am able to, and everyone I'm sure enjoys vacations for their own reasons.) Additionally, I travel with prefilled syringes of immunsuppressants that have to be hauled in a cooler of ice packs. Another thing that makes standing in lines indefinitely somewhat problematic. (Not to mention NCL rambles about strictly prohibiting coolers, but I'm aware that's obviously an exception.) So... Is the waiting to board area inside or outside? Does Norwegian expedite medical boarding? I have a handicap placard/registration and travel with documents from my doctor (even though as per the ADA I don't have to) because I'm fairly young and look fairly "healthy" or "normal"; so I could prove it if needed. Traveling alone, these things become more of an issue than with someone there to help deal with it.

How does NCL deal with their muster drill? Is there an area for disabled people (even not in wheel chairs) or an inside area for those people? As noted, I will literally likely fall out if I have to stand on deck in a hot/sunny area in one place for 30minutes-an hour, between my leg and autoimmune stuff. I have a good friend who usual sails carnival and says that theirs are always long and miserable and while there IS a handicapped area for the drill, information about how to get to it tends to be pretty sketchy, so that's why the concern. I of course DO think it is important to attend the safety drill and get the information needed, etc. And yes, in a real emergency, I would be ABLE to make it to a particular station and onto a life boat or whatever; at that point I would be more worried about surviving than tearing up my joints or being covered in a rash. Lol.

Is a roller type bag that could be a carry on for a plane size okay to bring as your "overnight bag" that you keep with you? There is no universe in which I am able to travel light because of all of the medical junk I have to carry, and the prescriptions I'd have to haul with me fill up most of a backpack themselves, so a roller is a much better choice and allows me to not put extra strain on my back or foot.

Since I'll have one other large bag with me, what happens to it? I know they have porters that take them - what is the system that ensures you get YOUR bag back and has anyone had any issues with loss? Same thing when you disembark.. what happens to your bag?

What time are rooms usually available after boarding? Lugging my medicine all over for hours is not very enjoyable, lol (something I discovered when I stayed at a giant all inclusive resort that didn't have my room ready for seeeeveral hours after my arrival). Because I do have special requirements I would be booking a particular cabin, not just a "guaranteed x level" type room.

How does the air conditioning on the ships in the cabins work? I had never even thought about this. Is the whole ship set at a particular temperature, even the living spaces, or is it more like a hotel where you can select your own temperature in your space or at least have fan/blower options?

Should I buy just in case seasick medicine, or do they have that sort of thing on the ship if necessary? I've been on small boats with no problems before, but you never know.

Are the entries into the pool/s all ladders or steps/walk in style as well? Or does it differ ship to ship?

What do I probably need to know that people don't think about asking until it's too late? Lol. I've read all the guides and I'm quite used to being hyper-ultra-prepared, but this is new territory.

I'm sure I'll think of other questions; just trying to work and consider escaping in a week all at the same time right now, lol. A bit frazzled. Like I said, I'm going to certainly speak with them before I book, but in my experience sometimes what happens in person is NOT the same as what you are told on the phone with hotels, airlines, travel, etc, so I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences.

Edited by Jesyth
Insure/ensure mix up.

What is the boarding process like at these locations? [...] the point is, I absolutely cannot stand for a long period of time waiting in a line. Inevitable that there will be lines and they can get long especially the security line to get inside the terminal to check in. My doctors don't want me using a mobility device such a wheelchair, scooter, [...] what about a rollater? cane when you need it, seat if you need to sit down Additionally, I have autoimmune diseases that involve a degenerative joint and spine issue and that also don't play nice with standing outside in the sun/heat/humidity in that part of the world with no way to cool off (Two different conditions. I'm just lucky! lol). oh Muster should be 'fun' then(sarcasm)[...0 Additionally, I travel with prefilled syringes of immunsuppressants that have to be hauled in a cooler of ice packs. Another thing that makes standing in lines indefinitely somewhat problematic. then you bring enough ice packs to cover any possible delay. (Not to mention NCL rambles about strictly prohibiting coolers, but I'm aware that's obviously an exception.) they w ill provide a medical fridge on board So... Is the waiting to board area inside or outside? Does Norwegian expedite medical boarding? no such thing as 'expedited medical 'boarding. when the ship opens up you go in a certain order. starting with Wedding parties, suite guests and certain high level loyalty levels. the 'handicapped' boarding process is by wheelchair and you may gave to wait for an open one for some time.I have a handicap placard/registration and travel with documents from my doctor irrelevant and ultimately worthless

[...]

How does NCL deal with their muster drill? Is there an area for disabled people (even not in wheel chairs) or an inside area for those people? you must make advance arrangements to have muster drill in another area [...]

Is a roller type bag that could be a carry on for a plan[e size okay to bring as your "overnight bag" that you keep with you? Yes as long as you understand that access to the cabin may not be until after 1 pm [...]

Since I'll have one other large bag with me, what happens to it? I know they have porters that take them - what is the system that ensures you get YOUR bag back and has anyone had any issues with loss? Same thing when you disembark.. what happens to your bag? Luggage tags just like airlines handle stuff. for disembarking you will get similar tags that will tell you what 'section' of the terminal your luggage will be placed.

What time are rooms usually available after boarding? as late as 1 pm

How does the air conditioning on the ships in the cabins work? I had never even thought about this. Is the whole ship set at a particular temperature, even the living spaces, or is it more like a hotel where you can select your own temperature in your space or at least have fan/blower options? you have limited ability to adjust internally, keeping in mind that when you leave the room or open the balcony door it shuts off automatically. the rest of the ship can be kept very chilly in public areas.

Should I buy just in case seasick medicine, or do they have that sort of thing on the ship if necessary? EXPENSIVE on board. I've been on small boats with no problems before, but you never know.

Are the entries into the pool/s all ladders or steps/walk in style as well? Or does it differ ship to ship? you'd have to ask on the NCL board directly for the specific ships you are looking at

What do I probably need to know that people don't think about asking until it's too late? Lol. I've read all the guides and I'm quite used to being hyper-ultra-prepared, but this is new territory. Buffet lines can be brutal; and assistance in getting a tray over to a table with a cane or other can be nonexistent

Ultimately you have to be your own advocate and may need to adjust your expectations as well as your doctor's recommendations,. you may also need to prolong arrival until well after boarding typically begins( 11-noon) while still leaving enough time to get on board the 90 minutes out that is required. once the initial crush is over, the lines for security, check in and boarding can be short or nonexistent

Yes, I saw in one of the guides that arriving/boarding later was usually a better option regarding lines. Sounds like good advice, as I'm not in any particular hurry to get on the ship. It's just me, so no one else's schedule to worry about or wait on to get their things put away etc. I'm not fussed about the idea of missing lunch or whatever it is people seem to want to get on the ship immediately for, either. :)

As noted, I'm definitely planning to call, but like I said, having feedback from others who have had an experience is helpful.

Not sure about the tone of some of your responses spookwife, but I appreciate the feedback. If the cruise line is as dismissive and abrasive as some of your comments would suggest, they are opening themselves up to legal issues, so I guess I'll see what NCL says as I'm not sure if that's you or them. They cannot just actually choose to flat out ignore someone making ADA claims or requesting reasonable accommodation for their health issue. Many companies have had to deal with MULTIPLE issues because the reality is you can have a mobility impairment without being in a wheelchair, and it is expected that they understand that in this day and age. (For example: that line that is medical boarding at airport security that you probably think is only for wheelchairs because that's what you see? They're required to let you use it if you've arranged for your disability there, too). Additionally, while "bring more ice" is a rather obvious comment and is always the case, in most of my travels when you explain the nature of the medication you're carrying and the sensitivity they, again, do not actually WANT to cause you to have a problem with a 4000 dollar vial of medication, and, as I mentioned, above all else it remains difficult to tote around for longer than actually necessary, especially if you load it down with ice.

I qualify for and could have a service dog if I wanted one - but I choose not to because of the hassle. So I understand that side, too. But in my experience traveling for several years now with specific needs that I would MUCH rather not have, I have found most places to be considerably more helpful than you'd think, but you do have to be willing to advocate for yourself. If they aren't, then they probably will not be a company I choose to give money to :)

Edit: also, good to know about the time. It seemed like some people were acting like rooms may not be available until after 3 or 4 when things actually get underway, which seemed confusing and like a huge hassle. That must have been in the case of people who had a specific problem or were waiting on a standby guaranteed type room assignment.

Edited by Jesyth

You may get better answers from the special needs department at NCL.

Would also suggest the NCL and handicapped boards of cruise critic for more detailed information.

Have no personal experience, but you mentioned laws, ADA, etc., you may want to check that out - not sure how the law works on cruise ships. They are foreign registered usually, not US vessels.

Let me just weigh in here on the ADA aboard foreign flag cruise ships. You must realize, as another poster stated, that the ship is not US territory, and does not have to comply with all aspects of the ADA.

If you want to look this up yourself, look at Specter v. NCL, which was the case where the ADA was judged by the US Supreme Court to be partially applicable to foreign flag cruise ships. The ships were ruled to have to make "easily remedied" changes to access, but not that all spaces had to be accessible, if it would require significant redesign. The court also ruled, importantly to your present situation, that without a clear mandate from Congress, the "internal operations and policies" of the ship do not fall under the requirements of the ADA. Congress, in the last couple of decades since Specter, have not seen fit to amend the ADA to include foreign flag cruise ships specifically. There is only one cruise ship anywhere that fully complies with the ADA, and that is the Pride of America, since she is a US flag ship.

They cannot just actually choose to flat out ignore someone making ADA claims or requesting reasonable accommodation for their health issue.

actually as these ships are NOT under US Flag ADA does Not apply and you CANNOT fall back on it whatsoever.

I was diagnosed at 5 with an autoimmune disease. I have been living with it for 40 plus years, LONG before anybody gave a damn about special accommodation.

my issues are as bad as yours. My little travel cooler is insulated enough to keep meds at correct temperature a good 12 hours. if cannot or are not willing to lug it around then ask via Special Needs if they will let you bring it directly to the Medical bay to store until you can access the room. assuming it will actually be open( hours are pretty limited)

Cruise terminals ARE NOT AIRPORTS and do not have the same infrastructure or boarding procedures as airports/airlines do. if you need to avoid any possibility of long lines then YOU have to adjust your arrival time. they will not make any special accommodation for you or anyone else. sure people who cannot use stairs or steep ramps can request handicapped boarding to use the elevators. but again you do not get on board any faster and it is not limited to WC or ECVs only. also keep in mind that terminals have limited seating available to wait in before boarding

by that token it seems that 90% of your issues could be avoided simply by not arriving until noon.

The Disabled Cruising board has lots of info, including port info.

The ports do not conform to ADA. There might be some areas that do. I was surprised at the high thresholds into the buildings in Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas, USVI but then realized that this was the drainage system. Even on the mainland old buildings aren't brought up to current ADA code until they're remodeled in some way.

Waiting is inevitable on a cruise ship.

For boarding either ask for a wheelchair or arrive later, closer to the ship leaving.

Onboard try not to eat at prime times. If you were on any other line I'd suggest assigned dining. No wait to get to your table then. Docked ports can have a line getting off at prime times. Tender ports are always a long wait but usually in a lounge somewhere. Getting back onboard is another issue. Get back a few hours early. The closer it is to final boarding, the longer the line to get back onboard can be. We've waited up to an hour standing in line.

Waiting for shows can also be problematic.

Instead of ice packs there are travel medical coolers that require no refrigeration. If your cabin has a fridge there won't be a freezer, nor will it be cold enough. Even with keeping the cabinet door open our onboard fridges rarely got down to 45F.

As far as Special Needs muster need to ask where it is. Some ships it is in a special location, on other ships you'll muster in your assigned location. This is ship, not cruise line specific.

Edited by SadieN

For some of your other concerns:

There will be a special needs muster station that will be inside, many times in the atrium, where seating is available. You will need to go to the Front Desk once onboard to request this, and this will require some standing in line.

When you check your large bag in at the terminal, it will have a tag on it with your cabin number, and it will be delivered to the passageway outside your cabin some time that afternoon or evening. When disembarking, you put another tag on the bag (this time colored to match your disembark time), and set the bag outside your cabin the night before. Crew will collect all the baggage, it will go ashore and be ready in a large hall for your pickup.

Any type of bag is acceptable for your "carry-on" as long as it fits through a standard airport x-ray machine, since the cruise terminal uses the same thing.

HVAC: Public spaces are controlled automatically, each space individually, and some may be quite cool when the "human heat load" is reduced. Your cabin gets air conditioned fresh air input which is controlled centrally, and then there will be a cabin cooler that recirculates the air in the cabin, and this will be adjustable with the cabin thermostat. Be advised that the cruise industry standard, just like the hotel industry, is that as long as the cabin is between 70-74, then the system is working adequately, and you will likely not get anything done to "fix" it.

Unfortunately, since you seem to be booking at the last minute, not all of your special requirements may be transmitted to the ship in time. Generally, the ship gets special needs requirements at least one week in advance.

For your medications, you may have problems if your cooler has actual ice in it, as opposed to sealed, chemical ice packs, in bringing it onboard at embarkation.

And I will reiterate my comments about the ADA. The moment you set foot on the ship, you are no longer in the US, and the ADA, or any disability or accessibility legislation, will be based on Bahamian law, not US.

I will also add, in response to your post below, that I was essentially an ADA compliance officer with NCL, since we took two foreign flag ships and turned them into US flag ships, and had to make the modifications necessary to meet ADA completely. NCL will deal with accessibility as I've noted above, but they will not go tremendously out of their way.

Edited by chengkp75

...Lol. Spook. I am not going to enter into a spitting match over who has worse health issues. As a general life recommendation I would suggest not presupposing to know or compare what someone else goes through with their disease or health to your situation, especially when your contact has been one message via a web forum. Something of a pet peeve.

Meanwhile, good point all, about ADA and international waters/companies etc. I had not thought about that, but I do remember it being in the news at some point, now that you mention it. That said, I also am not asking for anything but what would be "easy" accommodation. So, again, I very likely will NOT bother to invest time or money somewhere there is an unwillingness to do anything helpful whatsoever. Essentially, I can't stand, outside, in one place, moving very little, for more than 30 minutes in the heat that Miami experiences this time of year short of in an emergency situation. I am not asking for a hallway to be widened or the only accessible by stairs or whatever else areas to be removed. I don't expect someone to bring things to me because I can't go fetch them myself. I don't expect anyone to cater to my personal whims or needs if it puts others at a major inconvenience, knowing that there are thousands of other passengers as well. Just to be clear.

To whit, did anyone know the answer to the question as to whether those terminals for waiting/queuing to board are inside or outside or a mix? Seems to vary line to line. If not, I will ask on the NCL board. In my experience virtually anywhere, most people, if they aren't completely insane, have no problem with you - as long as you're not near the front and could be called forward in that time period - saying to the person behind you: "do you mind if I step out of the line for a moment or two to stretch my leg?" so that handles part of that problem in and of itself. As I said, I was looking for information, but, again, if a company is going to be completely disinterested in my business, that does actually prove useful to know so in a way I'm getting information either way, lol.

Also, while companies may not have to comply with ADA, most of them also dislike bad publicity over a situation that IS easily accommodated and do try to retain customers. So. We'll see. :)

Good suggestion regarding posting under the disability section; I hadn't been sure if more people would see it here or there. I may do that, or go specifically ask the people on the NCL sub. Either way, I'll let everyone know what NCL says if I decide on trying to go and give them a call to see what is feasible. Perhaps it will be helpful to someone else :) - though, as with anything, I think most situations fall under YMMV.

Thanks to everyone who has offered helpful feedback :)

I you should follow NLH Arizona's advice and call special needs. That said, you should take what spookwife said to heart. You may find it abrasive, but I found it quite honest.

I took my grandmother in a wheelchair on a Carnival Cruise out of New Orleans. Now yes we generally arrive early, so I got to stand in line on the gangway holding the weight of her and the wheelchair at a slight incline or decline. Sure I could have set the brake, but of course you move forward a few inches each time. There were also crewmembers doing the exact same for other people in wheelchairs.

Personally, I found every member of the crew willing to do whatever they could to assist and accommodate us. However, and this is the biggie, the cruise ship is what it is. Many passageways are small by land standards, and I have seen pictures that NCL has even smaller ones than others. Housekeeping carts are often parked in the hallways on cabin decks and have to be squeezed by, probably not something you want to have to do if using a cane with mobility issues.

Depending on the location of your cabin and your destination, it may be over 1000 feet to the other side of the ship. There most definitely are plenty of elevators, but you may find yourself waiting a long time, particularly at busy times.

Coming back on board ship may well be the worst. If you have to tender, you may find yourself stuck in a long line standing out the Caribbean sun and heat.

Finally, unless you are willing to be one of the last people off, you may easily find yourself standing in a long line to get off, claim your baggage and get through customs and immigration.

A rollator may be the wisest investment in your cruise. Again I will close with, the staff on board will do everything they can to accommodate you, and quite frankly they are much more sympathetic and accommodating than the terminal personal, but there is only so much they can do.

So, again, I very likely will NOT bother to invest time or money somewhere there is an unwillingness to do anything helpful whatsoever.

Also, while companies may not have to comply with ADA, most of them also dislike bad publicity over a situation that IS easily accommodated and do try to retain customers. So. We'll see. :)

It just seems like some of your responses that you think there will be issues. I've read many, many reviews by those with special needs and NCL has taken very good care of them, making sure they have a great cruising experience. Of course, NCL and/or any other cruise line might not be able to do everything you want them to do, but they certainly will try.

Possibly, if you go in with a more positive viewpoint, I'd bet that if you do choose to cruise, it will be wonderful.

If you do take a cruise, please come back and let everyone know how it went for you and give suggests to others with medical issues what they can do to make their cruise outstanding or for that matter, what NCL can do better to help those with medical issues have a great cruise.

The special needs department is going to be the place to go to get your questions answered. If you don't contact them, they can't help you.

J, Post this also on Disabled Cruising form. They are the experts. I think you may have very high expectations of a cruise ship and should consider the Handicapped cabins of several lines Celebrity is good for handicapped help..Are you aware cruising solo will cost you 50-100% supplement fee? You might offer a cruise to someone who can assist you.It will cost you just a bit more. NCL has a really varied collections of ships as do other lines.Its up to you to research your options.Some really huge, crowded and tiring to get around.

Good advice about embarking/reboarding at ports. Hadn't thought about that either, but makes perfect sense. I can't do most "excursion" stuff and be out in the heat long anyway, so it would very likely be nip off, look around for a very little bit, and then back to the ship.

I AM willing to be one of the last people on and off the boat, happily. That seems like it is a big help in and of itself. Don't really have a time line. I will be taking a train back home the next day.

I navigate trains, planes, airports, etc pretty successfully. Places with small corridors. I'm just slow, lol. And sometimes have to rest. When I use a cane it is not for stability - it is for load bracing. As noted, had I not reinjured the ankle a couple weeks ago it wouldn't even be part of the discussion, as I hadn't had to use one for the better part of a year at all. I am hoping it will not come back to that.

The standing in one place is the killer, as is the heat even more so. I will begin having a visible reaction - one of the things I experience is severe flushing and welts if it escalates. I would hope most people probably won't ignore that. But hey, who knows. Lol. I probably won't even leave at all ports because you know.. it's hot. I'd just like to get away and read some books, eat some food, watch some entertainment and meet some people and splash around in the water, really :) the price I could jump in at right now is not much more than it would be to sit in a hotel somewhere and do the same thing.

Also thanks for the info about HVAC. I figured that most rooms probably hovered around 72, regardless of what your settings were set to, as a lot of hotels seem to suffer that issue as well, especially in humid places. It's a relief to know that you theoretically have some control over it though; I didn't know if they just mass set the entire thing (something a lot of hotels/places to stay in foreign countries do. Individual climate control is very American, lol.) I'm a big fan of cold cold cold, but I'm somewhat more tolerant to higher temperatures now, after changes in medication and etc. That is, esentially, the only reason I am able to even CONSIDER a cruise - something I had never been able to entertain the idea of before, though I am a bit worried about getting ill on board. I've traveled pretty extensively the last year and been more or less okay and always have a million emergency antibiotics in case though, so eh. We'll see.

I will look into a rollator though - no idea what that is but perhaps it would be useful sine a number of people have mentioned it now :)

...Lol. Spook. I am not going to enter into a spitting match over who has worse health issues. As a general life recommendation I would suggest not presupposing to know or compare what someone else goes through with their disease or health to your situation, especially when your contact has been one message via a web forum. Something of a pet peeve.

Thanks to everyone who has offered helpful feedback :)

If anything you're having a spitting match with her. She was simply stating her qualifications in this situation after you called her out for her 'tone'.

Don't forget to buy travel insurance. If bought within 2 weeks it also includes pre-existing conditions.

Edited by SadieN

NLH - that's the thing. I had heard that they WERE very nice and accommodating, and then was immediately hit here with what seemed to me like answers that made it sound like no one would give one little darn whatsoever. So, probably made me somewhat defensive and confused. I will certainly contact them (unless I decide to just go somewhere else and skip the cruise, lol). I think this whole thing has escalated to a point where it's been blown out of proportion; my apologies for any contributions to that!

I do not need an ADA compliant room. For sure. I do not need help to navigate the buffet. I don't need an assistant. I've traveled to 3 countries and about 15 states last year on my own. It's really not THAT BAD (at this point. It has BEEN that bad - and hopefully I didn't screw it up to where it's going to be that bad again. Waiting to see the doctor now.) STANDING is worse than moving. I can still bend or do anything I need to do as far as in and out of showers, etc etc. I just won't be going dancing. At worst I'll be in a fixed ankle brace again, only for prolonged walking to help ease load/wrong movement down those long corridors. I just like to have answers to issues BEFORE they become issues, you know? The other health issues related to heat etc and my overall autoimmune problems are more pressing, really, but I don't really want to ramble about them on the internet.

NCL has waived the solo supplement on some of their cruises with imminent departures, or drastically lowered it, and has some studio equipped ships that I am looking at as well that still have availabilities. That is why I am looking at them, along with the fact that they are supposed to be so nice/friendly/helpful. Carnival also has also reduced the supplement on some of their imminent sailings, but I haven't heard as good of things about their lines.

Edit: No.. I stand by the fact that to me the tone used in the initial response made it sound like I was an idiot and expecting a cruise line to move heaven and earth for me and did not know how to deal with my health problems/medication/etc and should just expect the worst. Could just be internet miscommunication. However, I did not call any of her health concerns into question or try to make her feel like her health problems were NOT valid. I don't feel like it is ever appropriate to tell someone their health problems are as bad as, worse than, or comparable to someone elses, especially when you don't know them. I am, however, not going to argue about it. I should know by now to take forums with a grain of salt. No hard feelings all around, and some of this information has been really useful.

Not sure if it's even worth posting on the other board considering that a lot of helpful information has been shared here, or if I might as well just wait and see what they say directly, and then post to see if that matches other's experiences.

Edited by Jesyth

My ex has medical issues that prevent him from standing or walking for long periods. He rented a walker witha seat that he could kind of lean on when he needed to for long stretches and left it in the cabin the rest of the time. Came in handy for ports and for embarkation and debarking the ship. It did nto limit his mobility, rather allowed him to get around a little further than he would have otherwise. It was cheap to rent to boot. Might be an option for when you are boarding, if no other time.

My ex has medical issues that prevent him from standing or walking for long periods. He rented a walker witha seat that he could kind of lean on when he needed to for long stretches and left it in the cabin the rest of the time. Came in handy for ports and for embarkation and debarking the ship. It did nto limit his mobility, rather allowed him to get around a little further than he would have otherwise. It was cheap to rent to boot. Might be an option for when you are boarding, if no other time.

I think that is what spookwife called a rollator and is exactly what I was thinking about. A walker with a seat, so you just turn it around and can sit on it when you need to do so. That will make dealing with long lines much easier. I have seen numerous people with them on each and every cruise I have taken.

I will say, for someone who doesn't want to argue, the OP certainly is doing a lot of it about who is worse off. :rolleyes:

I don't envy anyone with serious and chronic health concerns.

If the OP hasn't done so already, a call to Special Needs is in order.

To OP, one thing no one has mentioned, and you need to be aware of. When the ships dock at a port and you get off, assuming it is not a tender port, you have to walk down the gangway on the the dock. You then may have a very long walk to the end of the dock. Occasionally there may be golf type carts or shuttles, but in my opinion that is very rare. It may be hot, lines to stand in to show ID etc. You may find this difficult. I have no way of knowing your personal ability, but just be aware, it is not like an airport, you don't walk down a ramp and into a terminal at each port. For the most part it is pretty basic and requires ability to navigate without assistance.

For sure, if I decide on a ship/this is the vacation I want to pursue, I will certainly call. That has been the plan all along like I said. Clearly that is the best way to get the most accurate information from a policy standpoint and what they think they can do. :)

I will consider a rollator, as I also said, but after looking at them it seems like overkill and like it's going to be impossible to haul a cooler bag, a bag bag, and use one. Thank you for the suggestion, though, and if I was travelling with someone else it may be useful. It may also be useful should I decide to disembark at ports. My insurance would pay for the cost of a rental to take with me (my doctor would have no problem writing it), so it's not about the cost or anything. Just not sure if it is manageable on it's own. I cannot fit everything I need to keep with me as my "carry-on" in a backpack.

Grandma, it seems like that and generally getting in and out of ports is going to be my biggest potential problem. I'm really glad you and a couple other people mentioned it. I am looking now at specific ports on specific potential itineraries, as it is my understanding that while the cruise company themselves might not offer transportation around from boat/dock/to town, sometimes local businesses do on bike carts and things like that in certain areas. I am not sure if the steep walk back up the gang plank is worth it regardless unless it's something I really want to do; so I'm glad you pointed that out. Steep inclines are actually considerably worse for me than stairs. Again, the real goal of the trip would pretty much be to R&R it - I've seen a handful of the islands to actually stay on them, so I don't think I'll necessarily be heartbroken if I don't get to go "do stuff". But it's definitely a factor.

Last time: What I actually said was that it was inappropriate and impossible to compare the severity or validity of medical issues. I mentioned that it was a personal pet peeve of mine. I find it inconsiderate and rude and felt I was being condescended to, not to mention judged based on nothing. I also admitted that I was probably feeling defensive about it and misread the tone; it's the internet and I don't know any of you. Additionally, it's something I am constantly dealing with as someone who is MUCH younger than people typically diagnosed with severe autoimmune diseases and who at this stage looks reasonably "healthy" in many circumstances. That admittedly makes me oversensitive about it. and it's something I'm very careful about with others as well. Like I said, personal pet peeve. I actually further specifically pointed out my mobility needs in particular were NOT as severe as I thought was being construed. Point was.. I have yet to argue about who is "worse off", and don't intend to do so. I'm sorry if you have misinterpreted my tone or motives, or if my opinion rubs you the wrong way. To anyone who may feel that way. It is what it is. Now I'm going to stop defending myself about it because now it's devolving into arguing about not arguing, which is rather silly in it's entirety. I still appreciate the useful feedback you provided about the actual questions asked. :)

Jesyth,

I think that you will get more informed and helpful answers if you ask your questions on the Disabled Cruise Travel board.

There, the people who post have similar problems to yours and they will answer knowledgeably.

The advice you have already been given, to contact NCL's Special Needs Department, is correct. You will need assisted boarding, which does mean you will be boarded faster than most of us, in a wheelchair. The wheelchairs are for boarding and disembarking and are not available for use on board the ship.

Although your doctors want you to walk unassisted in your daily life, it would be wise to consider renting an assistive device to use on board the ship. That's because those ships are big and, even for an able-bodied person, the walks from cabin to dining areas, to lounges can be very long.

Have you thought about travel insurance? The ship's medical facilities are very expensive and your US health scheme may not cover them.

Steep is relative and I certainly did not measure the angles. So with that said....

I personally never found the slightest issue walking the gangway boarding and disembarking. I can say, it was always an incline up on board and a decline down.

Now, when I had to push my grandmother up the gangway in her wheelchair, I do remember thinking that it took some effort and felt quite heavy. So the incline may definitely be an issue for you. I do recall seeing a device to measure the angles and I'm sure there are limits on what is allowed. Perhaps Chengpk75 will return and let us know what those angles are.

Also, many of the piers are quite a walk and yes you are right that many have some sort of transportation. That said, you will probably still be waiting on it at some point and exposed to the heat. Generally it is an open air tram of some sort or pedicabs.

To be perfectly frank, if 30 minutes of Miami heat this time of year is too much for you, I wouldn't get off the ship. Now, that isn't such a bad thing depending on your perspective and desires. It means you will pretty much have the ship to yourself. Some things will close, but a lot will stay open and be deserted.

Jesyth,

I think that you will get more informed and helpful answers if you ask your questions on the Disabled Cruise Travel board.

There, the people who post have similar problems to yours and they will answer knowledgeably.

The advice you have already been given, to contact NCL's Special Needs Department, is correct. You will need assisted boarding, which does mean you will be boarded faster than most of us, in a wheelchair. The wheelchairs are for boarding and disembarking and are not available for use on board the ship.

Although your doctors want you to walk unassisted in your daily life, it would be wise to consider renting an assistive device to use on board the ship. That's because those ships are big and, even for an able-bodied person, the walks from cabin to dining areas, to lounges can be very long.

Have you thought about travel insurance? The ship's medical facilities are very expensive and your US health scheme may not cover them.

All of the above information, as well as the other posters is all on target and great advice. The only other things I can think of would be a cooling vest or other device to keep your temperature controlled if you find yourself on long lines in the heat. I would also recommend asking the Special Needs department for a fan for your cabin. You could also rent a rollator and have it waiting in your cabin. Discuss with the cruise line who their preferred provider is. Also, request a medical fridge as the little units in the cabin are coolers, not true fridges.

Often those if us with chronic conditions state what we have, so others understand that we know where they are coming from and that we have first hand knowledge of cruising and special needs.

And it does sound like you expect the cruise line to go above and beyond for you when you say that they would not like adverse publicity and they would want to keep you happy. The implication is that if you don't get what you want, you will give them bad publicity.

Enjoy your trip, and those of us who know appreciate the extra effort it takes to be independent and how important that us.