Panama Canal vs Pacific Coastal

gordylad

We've done both, Panama once and Pacific Coastal 3 times. The last Pacific cruise was because my husband was still (kind of) recovering from a hip replacement. We wanted a cruise where he could take it at his own pace, with limited stress. Pacific coastal are, for us, restful with easy weather. Panama is more exotic. We wouldn't/couldn't skip a port and just relax onboard. And don't get me started on the weather! Columbia was the hottest, most miserable weather I've ever been in.

After our TA next year, we're hoping to take an Panama Canal cruise.

We have done four full Panama Canal transits and two Pacific Coastal cruises. In fact, our first Celebrity cruise was a Pacific Coastal on the fondly remembered Mercury.

My husband lived for several years in the Canal Zone as a child, and so the canal has always been very interesting to us. We actually have photos of his old elementary school, which is now an office building. It is interesting to see what the Panamanian government has done with the old Canal Zone buildings. There has been some rather creative uses.

But to compare the two cruises, while we find the Pacific Coastal cruises very relaxing we enjoy the canal transits more. The canal itself is a fascinating piece of engineering and changed the geo-politics of the world. During the actual transit there will be narration broadcast in the public areas to better understand what you are actually viewing. If there is no rain on the transit day the hell-pad on Infinity's bow may be opened.

And a great background book is David McCullough's "The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal 1870 - 1914." This work discusses both the early French attempts (some of the French efforts are still visible) and the American efforts in canal construction. It is also now available as an e-book.

We are trying to decide between the tow Infinity cruises having never done either.

Sept Pacific Coastal Nov Panama Canal

our other dilema is....if we choose the canal is november or april a better time?

My first Celebrity cruise was an April transit on Infinity out of San Diego. :)

It's what got me absolutely ADDICTED to Celebrity! :D

I'd go again in a heartbeat, regardless of timing or ports! :o

If you are flexible, one of the well known online T/As has the April 11th cruise for $910pp. ;)

Edited by teecee60

We have booked both. Have never been to west coast and we are europed our. So it is time to see the western hemisphere.

Our Pacific Coastal will also include the Canadian Rockies.

The Panama crossing then goes to South America, Ecuador, Peru and Chile. All incredible ports.

Pacific Coastal for May, Panama and South America for November. Hoping both are good weather months for those locations.

Great roll calls have been started. People are friendly and even though both cruises are a year or more away, already private tours have been organizes.

So take a look and come on board.

We've done both and you really can't compare them. They are not remotely the same. I have no desire to do Panama Canal again but glad we did it once. We did go in Nov and the weather was great. For that area any way. Hot as blazes. While I'm glad we went I found the actual passage through the Canal to be a bit boring after we went through the first few locks.

We have done Pacific Coast twice and I would gladly do it again. Such beautiful country and wonderful weather.

I recommend doing both as you are able. I think the new canal is supposed to open in the next couple of years but I haven't checked in a while cause I have no plans to ever do it again.

Linda

We have done both. We have another Pacific cruise booked for Sept 2017. We are thinking of doing the Panama full transit cruise again, but with friends. The weather is great on the Panama cruise. We booked our cabin on the north side for less sun on the balcony. I did not like the cruise day going thru the canal. It was boring. I just think of it as another sea day and i'm great with that.

We love both and the Infinity is our favorite ship and have 2 future cruises booked on her.

Both are fabulous itineraries. The canal trip will set you back quite a bit more than the coastal one but if money is no object, I would go for the one through the canal. From what I have read, they are now using the new locks, but it may be limited. I think it is fascinating to see the mechanics of it all. It will be hot, though. Just of note, we had blazing hot weather this past Sept on a Pacific coastal, ....which is a lot less common on this coast.

thanks our other dilema is....if we chosse the canal is november or april a better time?

Either month will have a few trade offs and to peel the onion even more, are you planning early in the month or late in the month? April will certainly have the chance to be the drier of the two, however between the two, there won't be a huge difference.

November... Better chance of rain showers, foliage is very green and lush, pleasant partly cloudy skies and slightly less high temps. Usually there is more of a chance of rain earlier in the month and tends towards drier as you move towards December.

April... Less chance of rain showers, one of the drier times with the foliage not as lush, can be hazy (particularly late April), can be one of warmer months as well as more humid late April.

The differences are not all that great, my primary decision maker would depend on the time when it was most convenient time to travel, the fares both for the cruise and airline etc.

thanks to everyone so far.....i have one slight concern with either cruise and that is with having never sailed on anything but the solstice class ships I have looked at some videos of the Infinity and it looks as though it is still in good shape but if anyone wants to comment I'd be grateful..........