Princess Platinum Protection Insurance question

Sandy R

Once someone has been diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder that can be controlled with medication, is Princess Platinum Protection Insurance still available to purchase when booking a cruise. And, if we need to cancel in the future because of that disorder, will Princess insurance cover us.

"pre-existing" conditions are covered as long as they are within the time frame set by the insurance. 6 weeks? 6 months? It's in the fine print somewhere.

I seem to recall, the condition has to be stable.

Not by Princess insurance. There is no 60 pre existing waiver as there are with other insurances.

The OP needs to find one that does. Most will waive pre existing conditions if purchased within a certain number of days (10-14?) from deposit.

Please check to verify, but I THINK the fine print states you must purchase the platinum insurance at time of cruise deposit in order to have any pre-existing conditions covered that have been under treatment within the previous 60 or 90 days. It's been a while since I read it, but that's what I remember. Google princess platinum insurance, and the document will pop up with all fine print.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Princess has a 60 day look back period. If you are stable the 60 days before hand with no medication changes, etc... then you are covered. I think this is vague and always bought 3rd party insurance to cover my Mom who had pre-existing conditions.

Anyone can cancel before hand for any reason and get a future cruise credit (percentages vary depending on what level).

To get your money back, you do need to fall under their guidelines.

What I would worry about with any pre-existing condition is being covered while you are away and if you get sick then. Princess's medical coverage is pretty minimal.

Once someone has been diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder that can be controlled with medication, is Princess Platinum Protection Insurance still available to purchase when booking a cruise. And, if we need to cancel in the future because of that disorder, will Princess insurance cover us.

Medical is only one of those covered by Princess Platinum Protection Insurance. Others are travel delays, baggage loss, etc.

So yes, anyone with a chronic disease or illness can purchase this Princess insurance at the time of booking.

But for this chronic illness to be covered by cruise cancellation, it must not be pre-existing at time of booking. Otherwise, you can not use it as excuse.

For Princess, pre-existing means you did not receive any medical diagnostic, exam or treatment for this illness, including changes in maintenance medications, during the 60 days immediately prior to purchase of insurance.

Please check to verify, but I THINK the fine print states you must purchase the platinum insurance at time of cruise deposit in order to have any pre-existing conditions covered that have been under treatment within the previous 60 or 90 days. It's been a while since I read it, but that's what I remember. Google princess platinum insurance, and the document will pop up with all fine print.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Princess has a 60 day look back period. If you are stable the 60 days before hand with no medication changes, etc... then you are covered. I think this is vague and always bought 3rd party insurance to cover my Mom who had pre-existing conditions.

Anyone can cancel before hand for any reason and get a future cruise credit (percentages vary depending on what level).

To get your money back, you do need to fall under their guidelines.

What I would worry about with any pre-existing condition is being covered while you are away and if you get sick then. Princess's medical coverage is pretty minimal.

You better read it again:

*Please note the following restrictions:Princess will not waive their cancellation fee and provide

a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise

vacation for any of the following reasons:

a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute, or

has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or

treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the

60 days before the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is

purchased;

With Princess insurance you will need to be stable without any change in condition or medication for 60 days prior to purchasing the insurance. There are some exceptions. For example there are some medication that have to be changed frequently such as coumadin. This is known by the insurance company and treated as an exception. When we buy Princess insurance we do it as soon as my husbands condition has been stable for 60 days. If you do this and cancel before final payment you get your insurance premium refunded. If you cancel for a covered reason after final payment date you get your cruise fare back but not you insurance premium. If you cancel after final payment date for a non covered reason you get a credit for your cruise fare. The amount is 75% for standard coverage and 100% for platinum coverage.

You better read it again:

*Please note the following restrictions:Princess will not waive their cancellation fee and provide

a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise

vacation for any of the following reasons:

a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute, or

has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or

treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the

60 days before the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is

purchased;

This is what I meant - I just didn't copy and paste. They have a 60 day look back when nothing can change. This is why I consider it a poor choice for those with pre-existing conditions.

Edited by Coral

This is what I meant - I just didn't copy and paste. They have a 60 day look back when nothing can change. This is why I consider it a poor choice for those with pre-existing conditions.

we agree.

3rd party insurance has better coverage and usually offers a pre existing waiver at a lower cost

Edited by SeaUs

After a certain age, 3rd party travel insurance is prohibitively expensive... which is why a few years ago, we switched to Princess coverage. Lately, we have been sailing fairly close to home, Coastal, Hawaii, Alaska and Mexican Riviera. We might be rethinking Mexico now. Also, my condition is going to be relatively stable so Princess coverage will still be a good option.

After a certain age, 3rd party travel insurance is prohibitively expensive... which is why a few years ago, we switched to Princess coverage. Lately, we have been sailing fairly close to home, Coastal, Hawaii, Alaska and Mexican Riviera. We might be rethinking Mexico now. Also, my condition is going to be relatively stable so Princess coverage will still be a good option.

Though I think after a certain age - other medical issues may come up. Thus, the need for a more comprehensive policy. $20K in medical is easily 2-3 days in a hospital. Also, an older group often doesn't have coverage outside of the US.

Everyone needs to balance the potential for needing medical care outside of the country and buy what they need. I am in my 40's and Princess's coverage scares me. I needed emergency surgery in the US and it was over $70K and I spent 3 days in the hospital (part of that in ICU).

3rd party insurance may be expensive but having to come up with money to cover a medical bill outside of the US is also very expensive (could bankrupt many people). I would hate to have a heart episode, stroke, break bones or gall bladder attack outside of the US with Princess's insurance.

Edited by Coral

You need to live in North America to get the insurance. When I was living in Canada I got it, but over here it is not available (just like other things Princess offers in North America - Princess credit card for one). Customer/guest relations also don't respond to questions which they always did when I had them in Canada.