First Alaska trip - Balcony or not

Taitam

We are planning our first cruise to Alaska. The question: Is a balcony cabin even worthwhile considering that the climate might not be conducive to sitting outside - we are planning a May or June cruise.

You are going to get all kinds of opinions.

I'll give you mine.

I find that the best views of Alaska when we are sailing are from the open deck. This way I can move from side to side and even to the forward and the back of the ship to take in all of the scenery.

If your budge allows, it is nice to have a balcony in addition to this.

However, if your budget is tight or if you will sacrifice the amount of money you will spend on excursions I would skip the balcony and instead use the money to take excursions.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Just a few threads down the board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2334038

I agree with Keith....you will opinions from all over the place. If you read that other thread I linked- it has a great post- "welcome to information overload."!! It is entirely personal to you. Personally, we never sail without a balcony cabin.

Edited by CruiserBruce

This is really a matter of personal preference.

I too prefer to be on the open decks for viewing since I like the more panoramic view that the open deck provides vs the balcony. I therefore, go out to one of the public decks whether or not I have a balcony.

My friend who I travel with prefers the balcony since she likes to stay in the room and just pop out onto the balcony to take pictures.

Also, excursions in Alaska tend to be more pricey.

So, if money isn't an issue, get a balcony, but if you'd prefer to save some money, be assured that they are some great panoramic views available without a balcony.

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska this June and opted for an aft balcony. My husband wanted a balcony and I figured if he was willing to splurge we could spend the little extra for the aft. It's probably the only cruise I will ever get him on and I figure if it is cold I will have a gorgeous view out the doors. An if I have to take a blanket to stay warm I am enjoying that balcony. LOL

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska this June and opted for an aft balcony. My husband wanted a balcony and I figured if he was willing to splurge we could spend the little extra for the aft. It's probably the only cruise I will ever get him on and I figure if it is cold I will have a gorgeous view out the doors. An if I have to take a blanket to stay warm I am enjoying that balcony. LOL

You just think this will be his last cruise :D

The oceanview with the biggest window is how I like to go. I found the balcony too windy and did not use it much.

Balcony comes in handy for private space for Glacier viewing for a few hours. As mentioned, others like the 360 views on the public decks.

You just think this will be his last cruise :D

LOL. Hubs is a go go go guy but also hates to spend on vacations. I was shocked when he agreed to splurge for balcony. Ahe also hates warm weather vacations. This cruise is for our 20th anniversary and if it wasn't Alaska he would never have probably agreed to it. I

Our first trip to Alaska and our first cruise. We may not go there again, so I'm getting most of the important things done in the first trip. I thought it was worth the extra $800, at the time, for an extended balcony ($100 per day, 8 night cruise) since one of our party has some mobility issues and will likely spend more time than usual in the cabin. This way they can still see some scenery, especially going through glacier bay, while comfortable.

You can sit outside, just grab a blanket and enjoy the view, I hope.

Once you get an aft balcony, you never want another cabin.....esp. in Alaska, the aft balcony views are amazing...we used to get mini suites, but now always book early to get those awesome aft balconies....enjoy!!!

eclue:rolleyes:

Once you get an aft balcony, you never want another cabin.....esp. in Alaska, the aft balcony views are amazing...we used to get mini suites, but now always book early to get those awesome aft balconies....enjoy!!!

eclue:rolleyes:

Is it noisier there? Only things I am worried about is increased noise from wake and not being midship for motion sickness. I figure I can tackle the motion sickness with meclizine.

I do not do balconies unless they are free or almost free. I just do not think that they are worth the money. Obviously many or even most people disagree based on the number of people on CC who say that if they can not have a balcony, they will stay home. I will say that excursions in AK can be expensive and if you have to choose between balcony and limited excursions versus no balcony and excursions, pick the excursions and drop the balcony.

DON

When thinking about taking our upcoming Alaska cruise for our honeymoon, nearly everyone I talked to who had experience with it said that a balcony is really important for an Alaska cruise. I will have to reserve judgment until our cruise actually happens, but I can see where they're coming from. For cruises that are out on the open ocean most of the time, I can't really see a balcony being very useful. I am all about the scenery, and while open ocean can be beautiful, it's not something I really need to see from my stateroom.

However, for an Alaska cruise in the Inside Passage, from what I have read and heard there will be more to see from the balcony. Land, whales, glaciers, etc. Also, my husband is a wildlife and nature photographer, and he is looking forward to being able to get shots as soon as he rolls out of bed in the morning.

So basically, for most cruises I would probably go with inside or a window at the most, but for this cruise we splurged since it apparently means more. Plus, it's our honeymoon!

my only comment is that I figured Alaska needed a balcony and I don't regret it at all. The scenery is gorgeous and we enjoyed our balcony.

However, I am quickly discovering the truth of "once a balcony, always a balcony" LOL

We are planning our first cruise to Alaska. The question: Is a balcony cabin even worthwhile considering that the climate might not be conducive to sitting outside - we are planning a May or June cruise.

I can rattle off 100 other ways to spend that money...

Have you chosen excursions?

Do you plan on eating in an uncharge restaurant?

Fancy coffees?

Soda?

Alcohol?

new camera?

binoculars?

When thinking about taking our upcoming Alaska cruise for our honeymoon, nearly everyone I talked to who had experience with it said that a balcony is really important for an Alaska cruise. I will have to reserve judgment until our cruise actually happens, but I can see where they're coming from. For cruises that are out on the open ocean most of the time, I can't really see a balcony being very useful. I am all about the scenery, and while open ocean can be beautiful, it's not something I really need to see from my stateroom.

However, for an Alaska cruise in the Inside Passage, from what I have read and heard there will be more to see from the balcony. Land, whales, glaciers, etc. Also, my husband is a wildlife and nature photographer, and he is looking forward to being able to get shots as soon as he rolls out of bed in the morning.

So basically, for most cruises I would probably go with inside or a window at the most, but for this cruise we splurged since it apparently means more. Plus, it's our honeymoon!

Congratulations!

The best photo's of my Alaskan trip were actually from my balcony...while still in my pj's. :D:D Never had to fight the crowd to get them either.

That's what we heard too. Everything I read was if you can splurge for a balcony, inside passage to Alaska was the place to do it. If it was a choice of no trip or balcony I'd probably done without but I am guessing I won't regret the splurge.

We've done it both ways. First time was inside cabins, second time was balconies. While the best views by far are up on deck, the balconies are nice. We didn't spend much time on them when the ship was moving. You're adequately sheltered, so it wasn't a temperature issue. We were just usually busy elsewhere, or gone to bed for the night, at those times. If you can afford it, by all means go for it, but you'll have an amazing time either way.

Edited by hapster85

We have always had a balcony and have spent a lot of time on it on every cruise. We especially enjoyed it while cruising on our previous Alaska cruises and look forward to doing so again on our anniversary cruise in August.

We also spend a lot of time on deck in various parts of the ship for the views since my wife is a "shutterbug" and wants pictures for her website. But, in my opinion, the best views are from our balcony.

Balcony or not, Alaska is amazing. Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by JimAOk1945

With the amount of daylight and the beauty of the scenery I would definitely book a balcony, but we love balconies on any cruise. The only time in the last 15 years that we had an outside cabin was for a last minute Alaskan cruise. We missed the balcony a lot.

We're sailing to Alaska next month, and we have a nice big balcony. Like an earlier poster said, I'll wrap up in a blanket if I need to, but I'll enjoy my balcony.

We use our balcony often on every cruise we take no matter if it's a port intensive European cruise, a TA, Hawaii, or another itinerary. We're on the balcony for sail in, for sail out, just to relax, etc.

We had a balcony in Alaska and we got up and looked out the door to see icebergs floating by with seals on them it was amazing . I was able to go out in my PJs and get first look at them .Get a balcony in Alaska

Not only a balcony but an Aft Balcony. Im talking about the very back facing behind the ship. You can see both sides that way and you wont miss a thing. You can see whales and seals and beavers and Bald Eagles all from your balcony. Don't forget a good pair of binoculars. We are going again April 30, 2016 for our 7th trip to Alaska.