Ketchikan- what excusion is your favorite and why

fletchers5

hello all! We will be doing our FIRST 14 day cruise to Alaska,May 2017. We are mid 50's and very active. I will not do a small plane or helicopter tour (scared to death). We like to do just about anything.

We have never been to Alaska, but I swear I have read at least 100 reviews. Very overwhelming. Very enlightening. I have taken lots of notes :)

I thought that every once in awhile, I would ask ONE question. Hopefully I wont be a bother.

So my first question

Ketchikan- what is your favorite tour and why? Sorry...I guess that is two questions.

thanks for anyone that responds.

Edited by fletchers5

Well, with all due respect to your view of flying, our favorite was a flightseeing trip to Misty Fjiords. So absolutely spectacular it defies description.

Pricey? You bet. Worth it? No question.

(side point: those small planes have a better safety record than any driver in the US)

After that, we enjoyed taking the city bus to the Totem Park a little ways south of town, and then walking down Creek Street (lots of history there).

Everyone has different interests, physical abilities and budget constraints. No point in my suggesting a heli dog sled trip if it's of no interest to you or beyond your budget, likewise a fishing excursion, or a cultural exhibit might not be of interest.

There are HUNDREDS of options available. For starters. look over your ship's excursion list. Don't limit yourself to the 9-10 responses you'll get here. Do some research and learn about ALL the possibilities.

There are books specific to Alaska cruises, perhaps your library has them: Ann Vipond " Alaska by cruiseship" and Fodor "Alaska Ports of Call. Both books discuss itineraries, ports, activities, and DIY options.

Every town has a web site. Google the town's name followed by visitor information to find them. ie http://www.experienceketchikan.com/, http://www.skagway.com, http://www.traveljuneau.com Many will send a visitor guide or it might be available on line.

There are also a few hundred trip reports/photojournals posted in STICKYs above. They have detailed information on ship life, meals, activities, excursions, vendor recommendations, and DIY.

The more you know, the better your trip will be. Have fun with your research and planning!

hello all! We will be doing our FIRST 14 day cruise to Alaska,May 2017. We are mid 50's and very active. I will not do a small plane or helicopter tour (scared to death). We like to do just about anything.

We have never been to Alaska, but I swear I have read at least 100 reviews. Very overwhelming. Very enlightening. I have taken lots of notes :)

I thought that every once in awhile, I would ask ONE question. Hopefully I wont be a bother.

So my first question

Ketchikan- what is your favorite tour and why? Sorry...I guess that is two questions.

Not a tour, a DIY wander around town. I like to walk to the Totem Heritage Center early in the morning, look around there, chat with any hosts/hostesses who are there, spend time in the nearby park. Then last year we added on a walk to Cape Fox Lodge, had a coffee and enjoyed the totems and the views. Married Man's Trail to Creek Street, a quick look around there, and then time for the nearly obligatory "looking" at the various shops selling local art :) (You will need to be reasonably fit to do the walk to Cape Fox Lodge, it is high on a hill)

You can also kayak and/or snorkel in Ketchikan. People we met did the snorkelling and RAVED about it.

PS -- ask as many questions as you want to/need to.... that's what this board is for, right? :)

Edited by CowPrincess

IMHO the best excursion in Ketchikan is Crab Fishing (demo only) on the Aleutian Ballad of TV's "Deadliest Catch" series. Crew members demonstrate the different fishing techniques seen on the series in addition to all of the behind the scenes stories of the filming. Very informative and funny. In addition to the demo, the boat will stop near an eagle nesting area to feed the eagles and I mean MANY eagles. The ship has covered bleachers and overhead heaters with wheelchair and scooter accommodations. The swooping eagles are a photography bonanza.

p5161754.jpg

Edited by Crew News

IMHO the best excursion in Ketchikan is Crab Fishing (demo only) on the Aleutian Ballad of TV's "Deadliest Catch" series. Crew members demonstrate the different fishing techniques seen on the series in addition to all of the behind the scenes stories of the filming. Very informative and funny. In addition to the demo, the boat will stop near an eagle nesting area to feed the eagles and I mean MANY eagles. The ship has covered bleachers and overhead heaters with wheelchair and scooter accommodations. The swooping eagles are a photography bonanza.

p5161754.jpg

I totally agree - the Deadliest catch is heartwarming and informative - we saw several whales on our time with them- after this tour just head over to Annabelle's for some awesome clam chowder....if you have time just wander around Creek Street.

Eclue:rolleyes:

I have enjoyed Salmon Fishing in Ketchikan. I have found it to just be a fun time when you are with just a few people in a fishing boat and can just enjoy the scenery and that it is quiet and be outside and have the opportunity to catch some fish which you can have sent home (at a cost).

Keith

So my first question

You are sailing too early for visiting the Bears at Anan creek & that's a flight tour. It is the only excursion that I am considering in Ketchikan. (Previously when we sailed out of bear season, we just walked around in Ketchikan.)

We kayaked with ketchikan kayak company. It wasn't a difficult paddle, and the group is never more than 4 kayaks with two guides, so if people are slightly different paced they can accomodate. We ended up with a private tour and it was great!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the replies. I do realize everyone's interests and pocketbooks are different. Basically if I had people tell me what excusion they Liked and why..it would give me an idea of what we might enjoy. And I know everyone's interests are different. As far as looking at the cruise line excursions......I think we are too far out yet for them to be posted. But I loved all the replies.

Thanks

Thinfool....as much as my husband would be so into that....and I do realize how much safer they are...I think I would have a heart attack!!!!!!! It will be all I have to have to fly 4.5 hours to get on the cruise. Hahaha.

Not a tour, a DIY wander around town. I like to walk to the Totem Heritage Center early in the morning, look around there, chat with any hosts/hostesses who are there, spend time in the nearby park. Then last year we added on a walk to Cape Fox Lodge, had a coffee and enjoyed the totems and the views. Married Man's Trail to Creek Street, a quick look around there, and then time for the nearly obligatory "looking" at the various shops selling local art :) (You will need to be reasonably fit to do the walk to Cape Fox Lodge, it is high on a hill)

You can also kayak and/or snorkel in Ketchikan. People we met did the snorkelling and RAVED about it.

PS -- ask as many questions as you want to/need to.... that's what this board is for, right? :)

Thanks!!!!! I will probably be asking a few...especially will over a year to go😀

p5161754.jpg

That sounds very interesting. Thanks for the link

We're doing the duck tour and Misty Fjord flightseeing with Family Air in Ketchikan. I understand your reluctance, but the flightseeing is one excursion I'm really looking forward to on this trip. The other anticipated one is the small boat excursion at Tracy Arm.

The ketchikan duck tour (amphibious tour vehicle driving through town and then driving through the town harbor), well my spouse thought it looked like fun and I sort of agreed.

There are a few youtube videos showing the duck tour if you are curious. It's about $50 per person for a 90 minute tour.

Edited by flatlander321

We're doing the duck tour and Misty Fjord flightseeing with Family Air in Ketchikan. I understand your reluctance, but the flightseeing is one excursion I'm really looking forward to on this trip. The other anticipated one is the small boat excursion at Tracy Arm.

The ketchikan duck tour (amphibious tour vehicle driving through town and then driving through the town harbor), well my spouse thought it looked like fun and I sort of agreed.

There are a few youtube videos showing the duck tour if you are curious. It's about $50 per person for a 90 minute tour.

Thank you for the information! What small boat excursion are you taking at Tracy Arm?

Thank you for the information! What small boat excursion are you taking at Tracy Arm?

It's not in the Ketchikan area, but much closer to Juneau. This was only available through Carnival although a similar day-long trip leaves from Juneau. At Tracy Arm, for us, a smaller boat loads directly from the cruise ship and goes deeper into Tracy Arm Fjord possibly close to the glacier face depending upon the amount of ice in the water. Our cruise has us re-boarding the ship at Tracy Arm. Others meet back with their cruise ship in Juneau.

Edited by flatlander321

Habituated eagles. Habituated means they have become desensitized to/accustomed to the presence of humans. This is rarely a good thing for wild animals. This habituation is a result of intentional action on the part of people.

For me, seeing wild animals perform on cue (because that is what they have learned from humans) in disgusting, and can be harmful to the animals. If we had known before we went on the tour, they would not have gotten our business.

So, to each his or her own. If you want to support that, it is your choice. If you don't want to support that, it is your choice. However, I think it is important that each person make a well-informed decision about where to spend their money.

Glad someone asked this, I posted a similar question on the Canada/Alaska board by mistake.

We're also skipping any of the Carnival excursions at this stop, so just trying to decide what to do then. I know walking around the town is easy to do, so we may start with that and see where it takes us. My husband would probably enjoy some fishing, if it's right. The kayaking sounds nice too!

• 1 month later...

I agree with Crew News about the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen’s Tour. We went on it in May 2013 and will be going on it again this month :). We found it very educational and quite interesting ... the crew was great. Whales weren't technically on the "agenda" but we did end up seeing several which was a great treat.

The excursion is rated #1 of 85 in Boat Tours & Water Sports in Ketchikan on Trip Advisor just so you can have additional reference.

Have fun planning your trip ... Cruise Critic is an invaluable source of information.

p5161754.jpg

I enjoyed this excursion also!