Transport from SeaTac to Vancouver Cruise Port

michaelsherryn

Hi,

We are on the 9/10/16 Star Princess leaving from Vancouver. So excited!

Does anyone have experience with getting a transfer from the airport to the cruise port in Vancouver?

We would appreciated your help!

Michael & Sherry

:)

Hi,

We are on the 9/10/16 Star Princess leaving from Vancouver. So excited!

Does anyone have experience with getting a transfer from the airport to the cruise port in Vancouver?

We would appreciated your help!

Michael & Sherry

:)

Do you have the right airport?

Sea-Tac is near Seattle; Vancouver is in Canada, a few hours away by car.

This wouldn't be a regular "transfer" from airport to dock.

If you must fly into Sea-Tac (and many people do this), you'd probably want to take a train or rent a car.

To take a taxi would be very expensive.

Hows about some actually useful info:

You have one really simple option that is always available - Quickshuttle. They pick up at Seatac, and drop at the pier in Vancouver. Of course, you pay for that convenience - it's just under US$60pp.

Sometimes cruiselines offer a transfer - if they do, compare the price to the above. Princess and HAL have both done this in the past for US$39pp, so it's an absolute no-brainer if they are offering it at that price to take it. Even if the price is the same as QS, take the cruiseline offer - no stops anywhere so faster. Whether or not this is offered is a bit random, my best guess is it depends how many folks book cruiseline air to SEA instead of YVR for a given date - if they have about a busload of people, they run a bus.

Other always-available options:

Amtrak trains are scenic and cheap at US$32pp Saver ticket. Downside is only two trains per day, early morning arriving about noon and early evening arriving about 11pm. You do need to get to downtown Seattle (US$30-45 in cab or towncar) and then from the Vancouver train station to the pier (CAD$15 or less in a cab).

Intercity buses go to and from pretty much the same places - Greyhound uses a different Seattle station, also downtown, but Bolt goes from within about a block of King Street Amtrak. Both finish at the train station here in Vancouver. Price can be as low as US$1pp on Bolt, but more commonly US$15-20. Greyhound is never as cheap as the cheapest Bolt seat, but with Companion fares can still end up in the US$15-20pp bracket. Never, ever take an Amtrak bus as they charge MORE than the cheapest train tickets for crappier buses than Bolt or Greyhound!

Car rental - price varies wildly, but you can rent at SEA and drop off at the pier in Vancouver (Budget/Alamo) or close enough to walk/$5 cab ride from other companies downtown locations. If you wait until close to your date, you should find plenty of options for well under US$100 per car - so if you have 3 or 4 people, or even a couple, a car can be the cheapest way to get here from Seatac. OTOH, if you book long in advance when the local franchisees don't know how many cars are coming & going accurately yet there's a strong chance of drop fees being added that can drive the price up two- or three-fold.

QuickCoach does this run, and Princess may offer their own transfer.

However, pay close attention to schedule. Looks like you're booking towards the end of the season. QC may not do the run that late in the year.

Hello friends! Yes yes, it is SeaTac. I'm a SWA flyer and have enough points for free flights to Seattle. So I'm looking for reasonable (CHEAP!) reliable transportation to the Vancouver Cruise Terminal.

Maybe it seems foolish but that's the best we can do.

Thanks! Michael & Sherry

Do not try to do this the day of the cruise. You are looking at about 4 hrs just for the trip from point A to point B on any of the means of transportations. On the buses you have to stop at the border, claim all your luggage, got through Customs then get back on the bus. Anything could make this a longer trip. We now just fly straight into Vancouver and spend the night with our daughter.

Hello friends! Yes yes, it is SeaTac. I'm a SWA flyer and have enough points for free flights to Seattle. So I'm looking for reasonable (CHEAP!) reliable transportation to the Vancouver Cruise Terminal.

Maybe it seems foolish but that's the best we can do.

Thanks! Michael & Sherry

My sister-in-law and I will be taking the Star Princes in May. Since we live in Tacoma I looked at my options. The Princess shuttle is $49.00 and leaves from Sea-Tac airport to the pier in Vancouver. It's cheaper than anything else I want to do. I booked the trip on my Cruise Personalizer at Princess.com. We'll stay at my favorite park and ride lot near the airport and take the bus to Vancouver and then in reverse order coming back.

The problem with ship transfers is you will sit at the airport until flights arrive and the cruisers get baggage.... from more than your flight. If you arrive at 9, you could wait till one. Just depends on how many runs they'll make. And since it's a long trip, I'd guess not more than a couple.

Hi there, we ended up renting a car and will be heading out early - maybe 6 a.m. for the drive from Seattle to Vancouver. We are road warriors so there is no issue. It's like we are sight seeing one day in advance!

We have to return the car to the airport and take the skytrain to the port. We've figured that all in.

I appreciate your help!

Michael & Sherry

9/10/16 Star Princess Cruise

Hi there, we ended up renting a car and will be heading out early - maybe 6 a.m. for the drive from Seattle to Vancouver. We are road warriors so there is no issue. It's like we are sight seeing one day in advance!

as you get close to the border check this link for the wait time.

If something extraordinary has opened and the wait time is an hour or more, look at using one the of the other crossings. Lynden will put you out of your way but if it saves you an hour of wait time, it can be worthwhile.

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/border/default.aspx

as you get close to the border check this link for the wait time.

If something extraordinary has opened and the wait time is an hour or more, look at using one the of the other crossings. Lynden will put you out of your way but if it saves you an hour of wait time, it can be worthwhile.

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/border/default.aspx

This is helpful.

I noticed that the wait for NEXUS line is much shorter (5mins) than the general line (45mins).

Does Global Entry work with NEXUS?

We don't live right near a border, so getting GE was much more convenient, at the local airport.

Thanks.

We have to return the car to the airport and take the skytrain to the port. We've figured that all in.

I appreciate your help!

Michael & Sherry

9/10/16 Star Princess Cruise

If you are renting from Avis or Hertz at Seatac, there are drop-off offices five blocks from the cruise terminal. The walk is all downhill.

Edited by Crew News

martincath can you give me the site you are looking at for the $32 saver tickets for the amtrack train from vancouver to seattle? I am not finding this price. I only see $64 pp cheapest tickets.

Maybe you're looking at a different date of travel.

The OP asked about Sept 10 and on that date there is a ticket for $32.

https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

Maybe you're looking at a different date of travel.

The OP asked about Sept 10 and on that date there is a ticket for $32.

https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

Thanks. I just realized that I was expecting pp prices and the amount is actually for both of us. I think I will have to buy the value tickets for refundable ticket just in case we have to cancel. Still can't decide whether to take shuttle or train. The train will be more scenic and the bus maybe more convenient time to leave. Train leaves VERY early.

I was also thinking that with bus there could be a long wait time at the border. Anyone have any insight into the border stop? The train isn't long at all from what I've read.

I was also thinking that with bus there could be a long wait time at the border. Anyone have any insight into the border stop? The train isn't long at all from what I've read.

Which bus?

Quick Coach, Greyhound, or Bolt.

Their web sites will tell you the arrival and departure time ... the border crossing time is built into the schedule.

The problem with ship transfers is you will sit at the airport until flights arrive and the cruisers get baggage.... from more than your flight. If you arrive at 9, you could wait till one. Just depends on how many runs they'll make. And since it's a long trip, I'd guess not more than a couple.

Error

Edited by born2cruize

Which bus?

Quick Coach, Greyhound, or Bolt.

Their web sites will tell you the arrival and departure time ... the border crossing time is built into the schedule.

Quick Coach was what I was looking at, but was also looking at the train option. Is the quick coach a small shuttle bus or a large bus?

Quick coach is a large bus. I prefer Quick Coach/shuttle when going to/from Seatac. Six to Seven daily departures to fit your schedule.

Train is from downtown and has you departing very early or arriving late at night in Vancouver.

martincath can you give me the site you are looking at for the $32 saver tickets for the amtrack train from vancouver to seattle? I am not finding this price. I only see $64 pp cheapest tickets.

Sorry for not replying - I was offline for a few days on vaycay. From scanning the other replies you found out everything I'd have told you anyway!

This is helpful.

I noticed that the wait for NEXUS line is much shorter (5mins) than the general line (45mins).

Does Global Entry work with NEXUS?

We don't live right near a border, so getting GE was much more convenient, at the local airport.

Thanks.

Doesn't look like anyone answered this yet!

Yeas and No - while NEXUS includes GE (and TSA Pre) GE does not include being able to use Nexus-only features, i.e. the dedicated land crossing lanes into Canada (I assume it's northbound you're interested in since you posted on this thread).

You CAN use the Nexus lanes into the USA with a Global Entry card, as well as the Ready Lanes if they are operating, but coming into Canada we only accept the joint program not the US-specific programs (GE and SENTRI).

Nexus is not just the cheapest of the three Trusted Traveler options, it's the best - but as you say, awkward for those who don't live close to the border. Not impossible though - if you're passing through any airport with a Nexus office, or cruising out of a city with one, you can schedule interviews far in advance that fit your visit.