Hygiene on P&O - Oceana failed inspection, Oriana cockroaches

HygieneWatch

What is happening at P&O?

Oceana failed a USA sanitation inspection in March

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/04/articles/disease-1/po-oceana-flunks-cdc-sanitation-inspection/

and on the inspection results website I see Oriana had cockroaches in the galley in February

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTg3ODAyMjk%3d-C836%2fbMljJQ%3d

:eek:

There are cockroaches in every hospital in the UK. You only need one to get in and you will get more. On a ship in a hot climate, it must be very difficult to avoid any insects at all.

Edited by jeanlyon

Well 5 hospital kitchens with cockroaches out of 769 isn't quite every hospital http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2441248/NHS-hospital-kitchens-overrun-mice-cockroaches.html

I suppose there are also some parallels with P&O ships and hospitals with norovirus outbreaks...

But aren't you concerned by these reports, particularly Oceana failing, which seems like a very rare event?

It beggars belief how some people will always defend P&O if they are at a restaurant in the UK and saw cockroaches they would be the first to complain. Its plainly obvious declining standards are throughout the ship even the galleys it is something they should not be proud of and there is no excuse.

There are cockroaches in every hospital in the UK. You only need one to get in and you will get more. On a ship in a hot climate, it must be very difficult to avoid any insects at all.

You must be very unlucky with your health if you have been in every hospital in the UK and know they have cockroaches.

You bet I am concerned. I have had stomach upsets that confined me to my cabin on 2 out of 3 of my last 3 P&O cruises. I had norovirus on Britannia and a gastric upset on Aurora which meant I could not fly back from Singapore for 2 days, after which I had to arrange my own flights as P&O failed to do so, despite promising to and being obliged to as I had booked a package including flights. I am not very happy with P&O at the moment :mad::mad::mad:

It beggars belief how some people will always defend P&O if they are at a restaurant in the UK and saw cockroaches they would be the first to complain. Its plainly obvious declining standards are throughout the ship even the galleys it is something they should not be proud of and there is no excuse.
I agree, very concerning to me too.

I wasn't very happy when I read the reports on another thread. The failures to store food at the correct temperature are the basics you would expect P&O would have nailed. I will think twice before eating certain high risk food items [emoji53]

Does P&O ever respond to these type of criticisms on here. You would have thought that they would want to reassure their prospective passengers.

Can P&O tell us what measures they are taking to deal with these hygene concerns.

Can they also say what they are doing about the declining quality of food on their ships as highlighted in this and other review sites. I think that poor food would be the one thing that would put off customers more than anything else.

I have concerns too. Some of the issues raised are pretty fundamental to the welfare of their passengers and potentially could have serious consequences. These standards are presumably achievable (I have been on a ship when the Capt proudly announced they had, that day, achieved 100% in such an inspection - quite right to be proud too). So failures of the kind reported reflect badly on procedures and systems to comply with H&S and seem to me to be the result of lax management on board. If someone were delegated to check filters, confirm Chlorine levels, have robust measures in place for ailing crew etc these issues wouldn't arise. Sloppy!

I've been watching the Cruise programme on TV and whilst aspects of the ship don't appeal to me, the guy in charge of hygiene is rigorous in checking and insisting on high standards of hygiene. I am impressed by his proactive approach. I naively imagined all ships would operate to the same high standards.

One can only hope that this is a red light for P&O as, apart from their duty of care towards their existing customers, it could damage their product and deter potential new customers from booking.

I sincerely hope they put in place the necessary systems to ensure these issues are addressed - and without delay. I would appreciate updates on anything relating to these hygiene with P&O - this issue is high priority for us when choosing a cruise line/ship.

P. S. Sorry to hear of your problems dave - hope you are feeling better and get some satisfaction from P&O although that will be of little consolation now - you were in need of their support in Singapore!

Edited by kruzseeka

Found this on line.

Yes, cockroaches are edible and healthy to eat provided that they are cooked properly to ensure that bacteria present on the body is killed prior to eating.

You probably consider eating a cockroach disgusting, as in Western society we do not value insects as a food source. But in many cultures, especially Asian cultures, insects including cockroaches are commonly included in the diet.

Probably make an excellent high protein stock that could be a base for many soups. Reassured now?

David.

Found this on line.

Yes, cockroaches are edible and healthy to eat provided that they are cooked properly to ensure that bacteria present on the body is killed prior to eating.

You probably consider eating a cockroach disgusting, as in Western society we do not value insects as a food source. But in many cultures, especially Asian cultures, insects including cockroaches are commonly included in the diet.

Probably make an excellent high protein stock that could be a base for many soups. Reassured now?

David.

Perhaps best you don't Google 'cockroaches carrying diseases'

No, I am not defending P&O. I cruise with Fred and whoever else suits and I don't like roaches either. My stepdaughter worked in three different hospitals and they all had them. We also used to get them on the aircraft when I was flying. What I don't understand is when you read this website, there are never any reports of putting things right, whether it's P&O or another line.

Forty odd years ago I went out with an Army Cook for a while. I always remember him saying that he hated being on breakfast duty as it meant being first in and having to turn the kitchen lights on. He said coackroaches were everywhere. I got the impression he didn't just mean the current kitchen but every kitchen he was stationed at.

Reading posts on here over the last few weeks we have had reports of norovirus, allegations of food poisoning on another thread where the poster said that they were contacting the authorities, failed test, cockroaches and a video posted about Britannia where there was no soap in the dispensers and the food on the video looked pretty poor. It is all a bit worrying.

This is not people unhappy with the size of the cabin, the saver v select fares, a missed port or entertainment they don't like. It is pretty basic and potentially affects all passengers.

You would think that P&O would want to provide some reassurance.

Fred Staff do come on from time to time to give information. Perhaps P&O should do the same where there is a level of concern about something so fundamental.

Personally, I'm not concerned. I eat st local take always and I'm sure some of them are worse.

P&O will provide a follow up to that report with what has been done to resolve those issues, look at past reports for ships.

Having sailed with PO and loved Adonis and disliked Oriana I wonder what PO marketing team think of the show.As far as I am concerned it would have put me off cruising forever.The is no way a ship this size can keep top class catering and cleanliness standards.

What I don't understand is when you read this website, there are never any reports of putting things right, whether it's P&O or another line.

Do you mean cruiselawnews site or the CDC site? There will be a follow up report from P&O on the cdc site with the measures they have taken to recitfy.

You will never find anything positive on the cruiselawnees site - he's an anerican lawyer who has never cruised and has a very negative opinion of the industry... He is more than likely the original poster of this too.

Edited by GP&LK

Personally, I'm not concerned. I eat st local take always and I'm sure some of them are worse.

P&O will provide a follow up to that report with what has been done to resolve those issues, look at past reports for ships.

I always check hygiene standards using the 'scores on the doors' page for restaurants and takeaways. The difference on a ship is that having made your choice to cruise, you have to put your trust in the onboard standards and the duty of care they should provide. Also let's not forget that quite a large percentage of passengers are elderly and therefore more vulnerable if they fall victim to food poisoning. I can honestly say that prior to reading the hygiene results I really did believe that P&O would be extremely strict, it seems not. I no longer believe that all of the illness is due to Norovirus, I never have really.

Edited by Florry

I always check hygiene standards using the 'scores on the doors' page for restaurants and takeaways. The difference on a ship is that having made your choice to cruise, you have to put your trust in the onboard standards and the duty of care they should provide. Also let's not forget that quite a large percentage of passengers are elderly and therefore more vulnerable if they fall victim to food poisoning. I can honestly say that prior to reading the hygiene results I really did believe that P&O would be extremely strict, it seems not. I no longer believe that all of the illness is due to Norovirus, I never have really.

I use the food hygiene scores as well and would not go into a restaurant that does not have a good pass. Here in this area they have to display them in the window so there is no doubt that they have a pass and what level. I agree with you that having booked a cruise you should expect decent standards.

Cruise lines in general are very quick to blame passengers for "bringing on" norovirus (which will sometimes of course be the case) but I have never ever heard one admit to food poisoning.

On a more positive note if P&O are like most large organisations then this type of thing is a wake up call and standards will probably rise very quickly to sort out any issues.

Being a person sceptical of a post made my a member registered for 12h calling themselves HygieneWatch I decided to actually follow the links to enable me to draw my own conclusions. I must state for the record that I am not a P&O groupie though I have sailed with them on several occasions as well as with other companies. Neither am I out to bash a company without reason. I have worked in restaurants and hotels and so am not taking things from the top of my head.

The initial article comes from a website that, in my opinion, is run by an American ambulance chaser lawyer. It is an article based on the American CDC report that was made and published on the CDC website cited in the second link.

So, going directly for the reports, I can see that the last inspection on Oceana had a score of 82%. This is low by comparison with the other reports. However all of the previous reports shown for that ship are in the 90+ range. Even the likes of Cunard's queens got 92% as well as ships from the other major lines.

I then looked at the report in question to see where the failings occurred. Not testing some of the non-return waste valves, fridges not cold enough, dishwashers out of order and incorrect chlorine levels in some pools were all there as were incidents of crew being ill but not reporting it for 2h and a 'use by' sticker not being applied to 2 pans of baked beans. Yes, these are all breaches and as such should attract criticism. So I looked at some of the other reports on other ships of all lines and these too contain the same sort of breaches. Less in number but still equally as bad. I'm afraid to say that all institutions that prepare food from hospitals to take-always, schools to pubs, get similar reports which highlight areas and procedures that could be improved.

My problem is the sensational tone to the initial post and the headline grabbing choice of facts. Is there an agenda to Mr/s HygieneWatch? As a public service announcement it just seems a bit suspect.

Again, as I said this is just my initial observations and in no way is meant to cast assign food hygiene regulations or belittle any bouts of food poisoning or Noro as they are both debilitating and unpleasant wherever you are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This doesn't surprise me at all. On our Christmas cruise on Britannia (our first with P&O) we noticed that there was a general lack of staff cleaning around the ship, in the public areas, in the restrooms, on deck by the pool etc. compared to our experiences on American ships. There just didn't seem to be the same emphasis put on cleanliness that we have seen with other cruise lines.

Being a person sceptical of a post made my a member registered for 12h calling themselves HygieneWatch I decided to actually follow the links to enable me to draw my own conclusions. I must state for the record that I am not a P&O groupie though I have sailed with them on several occasions as well as with other companies. Neither am I out to bash a company without reason. I have worked in restaurants and hotels and so am not taking things from the top of my head.

The initial article comes from a website that, in my opinion, is run by an American ambulance chaser lawyer. It is an article based on the American CDC report that was made and published on the CDC website cited in the second link.

So, going directly for the reports, I can see that the last inspection on Oceana had a score of 82%. This is low by comparison with the other reports. However all of the previous reports shown for that ship are in the 90+ range. Even the likes of Cunard's queens got 92% as well as ships from the other major lines.

I then looked at the report in question to see where the failings occurred. Not testing some of the non-return waste valves, fridges not cold enough, dishwashers out of order and incorrect chlorine levels in some pools were all there as were incidents of crew being ill but not reporting it for 2h and a 'use by' sticker not being applied to 2 pans of baked beans. Yes, these are all breaches and as such should attract criticism. So I looked at some of the other reports on other ships of all lines and these too contain the same sort of breaches. Less in number but still equally as bad. I'm afraid to say that all institutions that prepare food from hospitals to take-always, schools to pubs, get similar reports which highlight areas and procedures that could be improved.

My problem is the sensational tone to the initial post and the headline grabbing choice of facts. Is there an agenda to Mr/s HygieneWatch? As a public service announcement it just seems a bit suspect.

Again, as I said this is just my initial observations and in no way is meant to cast assign food hygiene regulations or belittle any bouts of food poisoning or Noro as they are both debilitating and unpleasant wherever you are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Completely agree, I did the same and checked the reports and figured that with the exception of Oceana they are on a par. Whatever the motives of the poster it's still interesting reading. Whilst I realise there will always be points of failure it only takes one of those errors to result in food poisoning - which if accompanied by poor personal hygiene can then result in a spread of illness. I suppose what we have to remember is that when a ship is on 'red alert' due to illness presenting food poisoning / noro symptoms, it must cost money and be highly inconvenient. So it necessarily follows that P&O would aspire to high standards and I'm sure they they dispatched an internal investigation team following Oceana's poor result.

Edited by Florry