shops in alaska ports

whimbly

Just my humble and unscientific opinion, but I found the prices to be the best in Skagway and the highest in Ketchikan. Sorry didn't shop for smoked salmon. Fav stores in Skagway were the Alaska Shirt Company and the Skagway Mining Company, right across the street from the train depot.

Just my humble and unscientific opinion, but I found the prices to be the best in Skagway and the highest in Ketchikan. Sorry didn't shop for smoked salmon. Fav stores in Skagway were the Alaska Shirt Company and the Skagway Mining Company, right across the street from the train depot.

That's interesting I have seen many people comment that prices are the lowest in Ketchikan than the other ports! I have not been there but a couple of places I noted just from other posts I've seen - both in Ketchikan:

- Tongass Trading Post (for clothing)

- Rain Barrell Store (for Ulu Knives - supposedly better prices than the big store in Anchorage)

I have no idea if these are good places just ones that I noted. I'll be interested in seeing what other people with experience say as well since we'll be there in June!

I would have to hunt up my receipts so I can't give you the names.

My recommendation:

Avoid all of the stores you see in the Caribbean. These are jewelry stores.

Just walk up the streets and look for small shops that sell items made in Alaska if you want something special. That is what we do.

Every town has these. You just have to take a little time to explore.

Keith

Just my humble and unscientific opinion, but I found the prices to be the best in Skagway and the highest in Ketchikan.

Agreed.

And to the OP: Ketchikan is the most "tourist-y" of all the stops, Skagway is a like a quaint little town, and Juneau is like the "big city". So if you're looking for t-shirt shops and the like, Ketchikan is your place. If you're looking for unique shops, Skagway is the place. A mixture of both is Juneau.

I read about the Glacier Smoothie place and really wanted to go, however I noticed on their website that they close at 6:00. Our port time is 2:00-10:00 and we will be whale watching as soon as we get off the ship, so it will be closed when we get back. Their site said that if they were closed that they would put on the door a list of other locations to buy their products. Don't want to spend the time to go there if it is closed. Anyone know the locations in other ports - Skagway and Ketchikan?

Thanks,

T

I read about the Glacier Smoothie place and really wanted to go, however I noticed on their website that they close at 6:00. Our port time is 2:00-10:00 and we will be whale watching as soon as we get off the ship, so it will be closed when we get back. Their site said that if they were closed that they would put on the door a list of other locations to buy their products. Don't want to spend the time to go there if it is closed. Anyone know the locations in other ports - Skagway and Ketchikan?

Thanks,

T

The only store I know of is in Juneau. Maybe they're referring to other stores who stock their products. Maybe one of those will still be open when you get back to town...

TMC,

The shop in Juneau is also closed on Sundays no matter how many ships are in port. I bought their products at a shop on Creek Street in Ketchikan called Sam McGee's last year. They did not carry the full Glacier line but enough to pick up some nice gifts.

TMC,

The shop in Juneau is also closed on Sundays no matter how many ships are in port. I bought their products at a shop on Creek Street in Ketchikan called Sam McGee's last year. They did not carry the full Glacier line but enough to pick up some nice gifts.

Thanks. Sams will be my back-up plan.

T

We have used the Alaska Shirt Company and Tongass Trading Company for most of our AK souvenirs. We also found a Christmas store in Skagway were we found AK made tree ornaments. Look for a tag indicating that the item was Native Made and not made in China.

If only there was some way to smell them through my computer :)

Very true, though that's a moot distinction.

You can't smell them either if your ship is in port on Sunday or you've otherwise missed when the store is open. At least not without the risk of extending your stay courtesy of the local constabulary. :cool: